• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fogman

Okay, I'll chime in.

The Axis is my favourite neck of the Music Man guitars that I own (Axis, Albert Lee, 25th, Silhouette).
It's a 10" radius, 25.5" scale length, 1-5/8" at nut, and 2-3/16" at the last fret.

The 25th/Reflex, though based off the Axis... is not the same at all.
It's a great guitar, is slightly more comfy than the Axis due to the bevel cut at the armrest. The neck radius on it is 12" and the fretboard is wider.

The Silhouette and Albert Lee have the same neck specs and are very similar to the Axis, but noticeably different.
They are a 10" radius, 25.5" scale length, 1-5/8" at nut, and 2.25" at the last fret. (the Cutlass and Stingray have the same specs).

Though the Peavey Wolfgang and EVH Wolfgangs are derived from the Axis, they are also not the same.
They feel familiar, but are very different. The Peavey has a 15" radius, and the EVH brands all have a compound 12"-16" radius.
They have the same width at the nut and last fret.

I haven't tried the Cutlass or Stingray, but assume they'd feel similar to my Al and Silo.
So based on your original question; your similar EBMM choices most similar to the Axis are the Silo, Albert Lee, Cutlass, and Stingray.

One other factor I find is the fretboard material. They all feel very different despite the measured specs.
My Axis is of course maple which is my favourite feeling fretboard wood. Second favourite is my Albert Lee with an Ebony board.... my least favourite is rosewood which is what's on my Silo.

Ninemile

I have an Axis Sport and SS both with all maple necks and they feel nearly identical but also slightly different. I also have a Sport with H/S/S with a rosewood fretboard and it definitely feels different than the maples. The size almost feels about the same (it feels larger) but the actually feel of the neck is definitely different. I can't say why but it's just different. I've played some EVH Wolfgang's and have never played one that felt anywhere close to my Axis necks. All of them were much larger feeling. I've never played a PV.

If I'm not mistaken all Axis necks are not identical probably due to hand sanding or something like that. I have 3 and while all 3 are definitely "Axis necks" and better than any other neck I have played, all 3 are slightly different. My Sport MM90 is the smallest of them all and the one I love the most.

I have never played a Steve Morse model but have been told it might be the closest neck to the Axis. Not sure if that's remotely accurate.

Top Bottom