• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rockman82

I've gone through many different gauges, and i can't seem to find one that will last more than a month. The last gauge, Super Slinky, is what i had on my epiphone sg. But the High E string broke in 2 weeks. I might be playing too hard, or need a better gauge. My High E string was a .009, do i need to go higher with it or what?

(Update) It was 5 days, not 2 weeks, sorry

Last edited:

TNT

No!!!!

You don't need a better gauge string or a higher gauge string (nor are you probably playing too hard) - you already have the "best" strings made, if in fact you are using EBMM!!!

What you need is a set-up and to troubleshoot, especially the "bridge" area, no doubt that is where the string is breaking.

Once you correct the problem you can play as hard as you want!!:)

Rockman82

thanks, i know ernie ball are the best strings i've ever played. I was starting to think it was the bridge, i might have it set too high, or something. Well, i don't really live near a guitar center, or guitar store, so i'll have to set it myself, or find someone who can. But thanks for the help.

Oh, i want to mention something, the high e string is the one that i've broke twice, in the same place, and the same place on the string. It broke at the bridge, and on the little round bead that the string is tied around.

Last edited:

TNT

Rockman,

That's what I thought!!

Maybe check out a local jam night, more often than not they have many players there that can help you out with that.

If not, check on line, there is a lot of info there as well on guitar set-up. It's not that hard, and besides we all need to learn how to do these things sooner or later. Have fun!!:)

mcconnachiea

I find tune-o-matics kill strings all the time:mad:

I bought one for my jagstang because everybody was doing it at the time but I had to put the original bridge back in the end. What I'd suggest is a warmoth ajustable mustang bridge. they fit in the same posts as SGs plus if you have a vibrola, the rocking will help tuning stability

scorchriddlin

You might have a burr (sic) on the actual saddle...just lightly file it, that should do it. Its a damn shame your breaking those strings.

Top Bottom