• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dees

I just bought a second hand Stingray OLP (I don't have enough money for a real MM, i'm just a student oyu know:) ), and I'm planning to upgrade it a little bit. It's not that I don't like the original pick-ups, but i'de like to see some better ones in it. Anyone has any suggestions? I was thinking about MusicMan or Bartolini Pick-ups. suggestions? experiences?

thanks

basscat

You can only get Musicman PUs second hand as they don't sell them separatly. The two most common after market options are Bartolini and Basslines (Seymor Duncan). The latter is pretty close to Musicman in terms of sound whereas Barts have a warmer, less bright tone that is quite different from the typical Stingray sound. Other companies that make suitable PUs include Kent Armstrong and Status. I've equipped an old Ibanez Musician with a two Kent Armstrong MM humbuckers and an EMG preamp. I think those pickups are quite good although the combination of the heavy and hard acoustic tone of the neckthrough Musician, the preamp and the unusual PU configuration add upp to a bass with a very personal sound.

Basscat

basscat

Elementary dear Watson - SD use the brand name Basslines for their bass products. Thus the link is http://www.basslines.com/.

A buddy of mine recently ordered an Alnico SR5 replacement PU. I'll get back with info regarding that once the six week delivery times is through.

Basscat

beav2k2

*slaps head* I kno that silly. I'm want a link to the actual pickups, not SD. I've checked eBayand I've looked on google. Is it the SMB-4b, or 5?

edit- Duh, the SMB5 would be for 5 strings.

Last edited:

beav2k2

I found a link to buy one for like 80, but I want to know if it comes with the wiring I need or not? Will it have all the circuits and knobs and such?

Dees

i found out you can buy active MM humbuckers. I ordered one with 2EQ controls (just like the 'regular' stingray with active humbucker). I costed me 100 euros, which is something like 120 dollar i think. this price included every single wire, pod meters, and everything that is needed.
Now i just have to wait for the shipping to arrive

Eric Moesle

My opinion, by the time you spend the $$$ on the OLP, then a new SD pickup, plus SD electronics, you'll have nearly as much money in the bass as you would a used 'Ray, and it still won't sound exactly the same. It might get in the same neighborhood, but not terribly similar due to wood differences, bridge mass, etc.

Dees

300 euro for the bass (second hand), 100 euro for the PU (that included everything, wires, pod meters, everything that is necessary), 400 euros in total.
A new, real Musicman Stingray, over 1600 euros. and that's too much for me, i'm just a student you know

Eric Moesle

1. Don't forget the cost of adding the active preamp electonics.

2. I suggested USED, not new. All three of my previous Stigray 5's were purchased second-hand from Ebay, and were perfect in every way. $1400 new compared to $750 used.

3. Perhaps the euro/dollar difference is making it more expensive for you. How many euro's are the USED stingrays going for over there?

Dees

I think i have to pay 20 euros for letting everything installed in my bass. and decent 2nd hand MM Stingrays cost about 1000 euros here, but to be honoust, I've never seen a decent second hand MM in a shop:s And 1000 euros is too much. i'm just a student, and i don't want to buy a real MM, yet. I think you must be able to get any tone out of that, and be a real good player before buying a MM. I don't consider myself good enough for paying such a high cost.

Top Bottom