• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

editR

recently purchased an active VP JR 25K volume pedal. I am using it with a Stratocaster guitar. Should I have bought a Passive pedal instead of an active pedal? If I do use it in an effects pedal chain, does it go first or last in the chain?

beej

If you're putting it directly after a passive guitar, you'd want the 250k version. If you put it after a buffer (or buffered pedal- like any Boss pedal), then use the 25k version.

In terms of where you place it, it depends what you want to do. After your guitar but before any dirt pedals or your amp, it's essentially like your guitar's volume control. More volume, more signal into the next pedal or amp. After a dirt pedal (or in your amp's effects loop), it won't change your signal much and be more like a master volume. In front of delay or reverb, you can use it for swells. After delay or reverb, it will control the overall volume of the effects trails.

editR

since the source, Stratocaster, doesn't have active pickups and I'm using the 25K pedal, am I losing anything in performance or pedal 'ability", signal?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If the guitar is plugged straight into the volume pedal (even through a true-bypass pedal switched off), yes, you may notice a loss of high frequencies. Try it with and without and see. As beej said, placing it after a buffered pedal (i.e. non-true bypass) will be optimum.

beej

since the source, Stratocaster, doesn't have active pickups and I'm using the 25K pedal, am I losing anything in performance or pedal 'ability", signal?
Yes- if you plug your guitar right into it, it's going to have a negative effect on your tone. Try it and see.

Then try it after a buffered pedal ;)

Top Bottom