• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

puppiesonacid

Hey guys... thanks for all the congrats... it feels good to finally have the gutiar.

here are some things im noticing about it...

its not holding its tune very well after i do a dive bomb... like i have to do the old fender trick where you pull back on the trem to make it go back in tune... the G and B strings go out when i dive... idk... i just read the post with the same problem but mine is straight oout of the box you know? ... the guitar came with teh bridge slightly pulling back... not exactly in line with the body like everyone says it should be...im scared to do anythign to it because its too new hahah... is it the truss rod? or do i have to mess with the bridge/springs?

how do you know what the relief should be.?

also... i thougth these guitars came with 10's not 9's? i play the GHS zakk wylde custom set.. .10-60 on my other guitar... i might go a little lighter on the low end but i definetly want 10['s ... do i have to have the nut adjusted for this?

man.. so new and already wanting to change it a bit... hahah nothings perfects

God bless,

Tony

Warg Master

You shoulnd't need to mod it at all for the new strings, should be just find... I've never had any problems with my JPM trem keep ing tune... My guitar's been perfect since I got it....

I say check the bridge tension and make sure the bridge is level...You may need to adjust the claw and do some tuning.

Check the nack, making sure it's straight. (not relevant, but I like doing this anyway.)

Jimi D

If you change the string guage, you should have the nut cut properly by a really good tech or luthier - if the existing nut is cut for .009-.042 guage strings, not widening the slots will see the strings binding at the nut with trem use, almost certainly. Additionally, raising the string guage increases string tension, and usually requires a slight truss rod adjustment and/or adjusting the trem spring tension to compensate. Having the trem pulled higher or lower than it's setup point by spring or string tension can adversely effect your action and intonation. Lastly, if you change string guages, you have to intonate your guitar again.

Point two: guitars are made of wood, and EB/MM guitars have oil & wax finished necks - this kind of neck is almost certain to react to changes in the ambient environment (humidity and temperature). The guitar shipped from California, so unless you live somewhere with the same sort of climate as California, you probably need to set it up. This is the nature of the instrument, not a failing of the manufacturer.

I live in Canada, and if I had to take my guitars to a tech every time I needed to adjust the truss rod, raise/lower the action or intonate one of them, I'd be in the poor house in a couple months. I mean, lets face it; guitars with trems and oil finish necks are high maintenance compared with some fat ol' set-neck LP copy with a heavy coat of Poly and stoptail bridge. The best thing I ever did for myself was pick up a copy of Dan Erlwine's book Guitar Player Repair Guide - there are other books out there by Dan and others that are just as good, I'm sure. Thanks to this book and a few years of practice, I do almost all my own guitar work now.

I'm sure with a little tweaking you'll have that Petrucci playing perfectly.

Last edited:

puppiesonacid

ok... thanks... ill have to check it out a little more...

I live in upstate ny, OSwego to be exact and yes the climate changes drastically around here (like every 10 mins, for real) anways...

IN church today i tried to get a a little controlled feedback going, you know, turning up the amp a little more and slightly shaking the trem to sweeten the feedback,, and WHILE I WAS DOING THIS I KEPT GETTING LITTLE **PINGS** LIKE THE ONES YOU GET WHEN YOUR TUNING A GUITAR WITH A BAD NUT!!! i was very dissapointed because i was getting great feedback but every time one of those pings happend it just shook the whole room and i couldnt do it during the CHURCH service.

i feel like this is pretty unexpected as i haven't heard about this every happening in all the reviews and complaints about this guitar. Im very dissapointed because one of the main things i love to do with a guitar that has a good trem is get sweet controllable feedback for some beautiful textures. Come to think of it... when i was trying out the guitar at the store when i picked it up, it didnt do this at all... maybe it could be from the weather? i have no idea but i just want to make it go away... please help

Look im not trying to nit pick everything about this guitar but the one i tried out before buying didnt do any of these things and im feeling just a bit frustrated by it you know? I love the guitar.. its perfect for what i do with music, im just asking for some help. Maybe i should call EB up and just talk with them about it?

Would putting some lube in the string slots help? or make this go away? Im also getting a little trem noise from the springs... is this normal with new springs? like if i hit the 3rd fret E on the D string... it resonates springs perfectlly to make them cause noise.

God bless,

Tony

P.S. whats teh deal with the nut? is it cut for 9's or 10's... on EB FAQ it says that the PETRUCCI is sent with 10's. maybe a moderator could confirm this.

jongitarz

The nut is cut for 10-46. The ping noise you are hearing might be because the bridge the pivot bolts are too low. Try raising the bridge a bit, check it to see if the noise goes away..If it does then lower your strings to make up the difference

Jon

puppiesonacid

after playing it a bit more im pretty sure the noise is coming from the trem or the springs... although i could be wrong but tahst where my ear is being drawn towards. anways... ill keep playing without changes and see if it gets better...

its too new for me to put tools anywhere near this thing hahah... i hope you understand lol.

i bought some 3 in 1 oil for the day when i decide to open it up. but has anyone else had this problem going on?

God bless,

Tony

jongitarz

Tony,

You can always call me at work if you have problems with the guitar. 1 866 823-2255 ext 237. Mon-Thurs 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. pacific time.

Happy Easter!!
Jon

puppiesonacid

well another problem has been noticed with my new petrucci... it seems to be a grounding problem. whenever im not touching ANY metal parts on the guitar there is a noticeable hum coming out of the amp. but whenever i touched ANY metal on the instrument the hum went away.

I just called Jon at EB and he is going to take care of it for me. Im going to send it in. Im very impressed with the care and time taken to make sure i am taken care of. he even asked me what kind of action i prefer as he said he will be adressing any and all problems im having with the guitar so changing the action a bit is not a problem Very nice and im very well pleased with this kind of passion for serving the customer.

Additionally, Jon said

" It's players like you that make up the core base of our sales and reputation, So we feel as players ourselves it necessary to pay the closest attention to any and all problems with our guitars."

He also mentioned that he has never heard of any grounding problems with the Petrucci models especially and that he definetly wants to look at my guitar. This really reassured me that my problem was being taken seriously and personally by this company and MY BUISNESS IS WORTH MORE TO THEM THAN THIER PROFIT. Thanks again Jon for being so nice and actually caring about my situation.

So with that said... im going to be sending it off shortly and hopefully get everything fixed. Even if i dont get compensated with some strings or whatever... ill be extremely happy... although it would be a nice display of thier good will and care for each customer. All in all i am was very comforted that Jon took the time to hear me out and be patient with me. This experience has shown me that there are still buisness men out there who stick by thier customers and that some companies still care about thier product serving thier customers as they designed them to be. WOW!

Theres nothing more disheartening than paying out the butt for a guitar that when you tried out was as perfect as perfect can be and then get your own and have these setbacks, which im sure are just flukes. Speaking with Jon ( the first major customer service representative ive EVER dealt with ) really bolstered my faith in humanity and buisness as a whole.

Thanks again,

God bless,

Tony

puppiesonacid

additionally, i am going to be switching from D'Addario to EB strings on a steady basis as i want this guitar to be used to its fullest potential, utilizing the strings that it was more than likely designed with.

ok... enough of me...

God bless,

Tony

koogie2k

Posts like that are great. Sometimes, people will complain but not compliment. You have a ligitimate problem, and EBMM and Jon stand behind their work and are going to take care of you. That just reassures me and I'm sure everybody here that EBMM are truly customer oriented while making a living too! That kind of business and treatment of people is hard to find now a days. Not here...EBMM rule!

Top Bottom