• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Peteymac

Hi,

My bass player just bought a used MM Sterling (looks to be an 07) and has been having issues with the sound going in and out when the switch is set in the middle, which I believe to be the split coil configuration. Now. all of a sudden, there is no sound coming from the middle position and the position where the switch is towards the neck (Humbucker in parallel?) has a very week signal. The position where the switch faces the bridge (Humbucking?) seems fine and has good tone and volume. Since I tinker a bit I agreed to take a look figuring it might be a cold solder or switch problem. I touched all points on the PCB with my soldering iron and also checked the switch with my meter (checked out okay), but I'm still having the same problem. I could be wrong, but it almost seems like a bad capacitor. The battery and strings are new. Any ideas. I was thinking about rebuilding the preamp, but that seems a bit drastic. Also, a schematic would be helpful.

Thanks,

Pete

Rano Bass

Here is the schematic:

Sterlingschematic.jpg

It could be the switch but better take it to a qualified tech.

Good luck.

Yango

Yeah, if the previous owner was rough on the switch, the contacts may be worn out. Or possibly there's a bunch of crud in there that's moving around and messing with the connection. Try some contact cleaner, and see if that helps.

Peteymac

Thank you for the wiring diagram...I did contact customer service and they gave me a few suggestions. Most notably would be the phantom coil being the problem. It kind of makes sense since I remember our bassist would tap on the pickup to get the thing to work. I'll pull the pickup tonight, but I'm guessing the phantom coil is inclosed withing the pickup and is not excessable. Thanks again for your response.

Rano Bass

I did contact customer service and they gave me a few suggestions. Most notably would be the phantom coil being the problem. It kind of makes sense since I remember our bassist would tap on the pickup to get the thing to work.

I used to do the same to my old 1990 Ray, the pickup would suddenly work just as a single coil and a i had to tap on the pickup
with something metallic so it would work again as a humbucker.

I ended up replacing the pickup but maybe your case its different since yours is a Sterling and uses a phamton coil.

Good luck.

JTB

A bit late to the gate, but did this issue ever get resolved? I have a ‘93 Sterling with exactly the same issue. Was it the pickup?

Top Bottom