• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sleeping At Sea

As much as I love my DK Stingray I've been battling a few issues with it. The current is that after changing some strings and adjusting the action I went to check the intonation and when I got to the 6th string the allen key isn't gripping anything to turn the intonation screw. The allen key I am using fits perfectly for all 5 other strings however in the 6th it just spins around.
I've spent a LONG time trying all different angles but I can't seem to get it locked in at all.

Is my only option to remove the bridge and unscrew the bridge cover so I can see what's happening?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

20230527_191815_resized.jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If you dive bomb the trem and keep it held there, you should be able to get a photograph of it with your iPhone. What size key are you using? Try a metric key, 2 mm. A 5/64” key is just a hair smaller and if the head of the screw is wearing the 5/64” will slip before the 2 mm key does.

Also, note that with the low E string, because of the string tension and the fact that we have it usually close to the end of its travel all the way back, it will be the first one to start wearing out. Contact music man customer service, and they can send you new screws.

Sleeping At Sea

If you dive bomb the trem and keep it held there, you should be able to get a photograph of it with your iPhone. What size key are you using? Try a metric key, 2 mm. A 5/64” key is just a hair smaller and if the head of the screw is wearing the 5/64” will slip before the 2 mm key does.

Also, note that with the low E string, because of the string tension and the fact that we have it usually close to the end of its travel all the way back, it will be the first one to start wearing out. Contact music man customer service, and they can send you new screws.
Thanks DrKev! I can't confirm for sure the tool the key is 2mm as I just found one that fit and it worked well for the others. I've ordered the Ernie Ball toolkit which comes with the 2mm so I'll try that when it arrives and see if that gets a better grip. Like you say, the one I have could be slightly smaller.

I tried to get a good photo with the trem dive-bombed but couldn't really get anything good. I have been pushing the trem down to get better access and more room to move the key but still can't get it.

*Edit*

Just tried the same key in my Valentine and it locked onto it perfectly. Hmm. Could be the Stingray is stripped hey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom