• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Yango

I know that a lot of you are using Markbass amps with your EBMM gear, so hopefully you can give me some good advice.

I'm thinking about picking up a 2007 LM250 to use for rehearsals (I'll still use their cabs, but I'm tired of the horrible amps that I usually have the displeasure of playing through), and the size and weight of the amp is a factor. I'm currently using a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout combo live, and I've been brining the head to rehearsals. But the head, when removed from the combo still weighs about 13lbs—and I usually use the subway to get around in the city, so I'm lugging all my gear with me—and every pound counts...

The amp looks to be in fantastic condition, it comes with a gig bag, and he's asking $300 for it.

So my question is this:

What's the difference between the Little Mark 250, and the newer Little Mark II and III. Is there any reason that I should avoid this model? I'm guessing that they've added features and possibly worked out bugs with the newer models... but I have to admit, I know nothing about Markbass products at all.

Thanks,
Yango

Little Mark 250 fr.JPG Little Mark 250 bk.JPG

Last edited:

Holdsg

I'm no expert, but I believe it was one of the first of the LM series, and subsequently they boosted the power to 500W in the LM II and III (and more with the 800W versions) and added more bells and whistles over the years.

But this version does have the best (IMO) part of Markbass amps, the VLE and VPF filters - which I call the P-bass and Jazz bass filters, because that's how I use them, making it OK in my book.

If you are looking for the ultimate in portability and still get the Markbass sound, I would look to buying a used F1 or F500, a better form factor (thinner) for moving about in a gig bag. But this one should do the trick for you.

Smallmouth_Bass

It looks the same as my LMII. Maybe it's not as powerful? I just checked their website and that seems to be the case. The newer one looks like the LMIII and is 250W @ 4 Ohms and 150 @ 8 Ohms.

The GK MB line is really small and light too. I picked up an MB200 for a gig backup head (200W @ 4 ohms) and it's a little pip-squeak with a big sound considering. The MB500 is a bit bigger.

A used MarkBass F1 would be a good idea too.

Last edited:

drTStingray

I have an LM111 - fits in a lap top bag and weighs about 5 or 6 lbs. I just carry it in and out of places without a case etc though I am using a car. The F1 is half the height, but similar dimensions otherwise.

The LM111 is 500 watt (4 ohms) and about 300 watt at 8 ohms - I have stopped using an extension cab because its generally too loud. A single cab and approx 50% output volume is plenty loud enough in the bands I play with (they both have two guitars through decent valve combos and the one band has brass also).

The 250 watts may not be loud enough dependent on the style of music and make up of the band you're in, and particularly the volume you rehearse at. I'm afraid I find that rehearsal volumes are often dictated by the volume the rythmn guitarist plays at - the lead player needs to set volume accordingly - and basically the bands end up rehearsing at gig volume. I have persuaded them to reduce volume if we're testing out arrangements, on the basis no-one in the band can hear the whole band well enough to determine if the arrangement works or not!! 500 watts seems to be a good compromise and allows you to play through one 8 ohm cabinet with enough power and good headroom.

Top Bottom