• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

stu42

I was just looking at the specs page of the Game Changer guitar. I'm not really that familiar with the different pickups in MM guitars. However, I noticed that the HH GC guitar is shown to have 2 "Dimarzio Custom" Humbuckers (Alnico) while the HSH seems to have Ceramic magnets. Am I reading that right?

I had heard or read somewhere that the HH Reflex has the same pickups as the Axis which I thought were the same pickups that were designed for the original EVH guitar. Is that true? I see that all the pickups in the Axis HH models are also described as "Dimarzio Custom" but I'm not really sure what that means.

Also, is there a difference between the HH GC pickups vs the HSH GC humbuckers? If so, how would you describe the sonic differences? Are the HSH GC humbucker pickups the same as any other MM model guitar pickups?

Thanks!

A.J.

They are different pickups. The HH pickups are the same pickups that we use in the Axis, they just have covers (yes they are the same ones that were in the EVH models).

The HSH humbuckers were specifically voiced to get the best variety of humbucking and single coil tones with 5 coils.

stu42

Thanks very much A.J.!! I'm actually kind of surprised that I had a bunch of that info right. Good to hear though. Hmmm...now, to decide on which model to get. My local store has an HSH Game Changer that I'm interested in. I'll have to compare the tones to an Axis or Reflex to at least get a feel for how the traditional tones compare.

Cheers!

If anyone else has some personal experience with the HH vs HSH GC pickup tones please feel free to chime in with your observations. I'm sure a guy could coax a lot of great tones out of the HH. It's easy to fall into the "more is better" approach so I'm tempted by the HSH - even though I know that more is not necessarily better...sometimes it's just more. Sometimes less is better (Bongo H fan! :)

stu42

One more question...are the pickups in the Big Al HH the same as in the Reflex HH? Just wondering as I've played through an HH Big Al and it sounded great.

Thanks again.

A.J.

If you are referring to the Albert Lee HH guitar and the Reflex HH guitar, yes they are the same.

stu42

Oops....sorry, yes, I meant the Albert Lee guitar. I'm so used to thinking of the Big Al bass I forgot they are not actually referred to with the same name. Thanks again A.J. You're the best!! :)

Top Bottom