• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Drew

Really miffed I didn't get a response to my last post.

Obviously you're not intrested in catching customers young and keeping them for the future.

Guess Errnie Ball users are all too hot to help me out - time to find someone who can help.

Antinode

Know the feeling...

I dont mean here... but I hate it when I go into a chatroom and its nothing but regulars in there and they completely ignore me. Why dont they just chat with thier messenger instead of go in a chat room and then ignore people?!

Anyway, I went back and read your first post, and here is my opinion for what its worth. You said you could hardly hear your H/O and P/Os in the higher fret positions. I tried to imagine what the deal is. I might be completely off-base but my first thought is the guitar is set-up wrong. The string saddles or bridge could be too low. I think this might allow you to play open chords the lower frets, but as you go higher the strings just completely buzz and fret out. Secondly, maybe the you just dont have enough gain. I can hardly imagine not hearing hammer ons if everything is set up right. You can almost hear my heart beating through my strings.

In my opinion, 9 gauge is a good all around size. Try 8's if your fingers arent hardened and strengthened yet and you have problems bending up to the right note, but beware of breakage. As your strength and calluses increase, try 9s. I have been playing for years and I use 9's on all guitars tuned to standard pitch. I use 10s on my other guitars which are tuned down a full step, with the top string dropped. (Dropped C ??)

Happy playing.. if you have anything else you want to ask just do it here or you can send me an email if you want.

peter71

Hey Drew, I would have responded, but I didn't really have anything worthwhile to say. The biggest thing I would say is you also may want to check out your neck and your hardware. An easy test you can do for the neck is just hold it up with the headstock facing you and look down the length of the neck. If it is not totally straight, you may have some adjustments that need to be made. Sometimes necks can get a little warped if they are strung wrong, using weird string gauges (like really heavy strings on the high e - g and medium or light strings on the other three)or just over time.

You may want to take it into a local shop that has a repair person and have them look at it. For the most part they will tell you what is wrong and how much it will cost. If it is too much you can look around on forums (like this one) and see if anyone knows how to fix the problem, and maybe they can teach you.

Again, you may already know some of this, or it may not be helpful. Anyway, I hope the rest of your experience with EB is better than your first!

Top Bottom