• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dominik1986

I want to tune one of my JP guitars down to C# (3 half steps), what string gauge could you recommend here?

DCStingray

Are you tuning all of your strings down 3 half steps similar to a baritone guitar or are you playing in drop C# with the other strings tuned down only one half step?

RocketRalf

If you mean C#-F#-B-E-G#-C# then you need a 11 set or heavier IMHO. I have a 10-52 set and it is fine for drop D, but too floppy for C# on the lowest string, but I like heavy strings. Go for the coated set, it's totally worth the price difference.

So my suggestion is this:

3126.png

Last edited:

Potatohead

I use Not Even Slinky 12 - 56 for C# standard (I swap the G to an .020"). For drop C# (which is totally different) I would use 11 - 48, although I'd swap the 48 for a 54.

Dominik1986

If you mean C#-F#-B-E-G#-C# then you need a 11 set or heavier IMHO. I have a 10-52 set and it is fine for drop D, but too floppy for C# on the lowest string, but I like heavy strings. Go for the coated set, it's totally worth the price difference.

So my suggestion is this:

3126.png

Thank you, I think I give them a try!!!! But I think I will order a 11 set

Potatohead

Keep in mind 11-48 in C# standard is actually more slinky than 9's in E std, so they will be quite loose, which some people prefer. If you like more of the feel of 10's in E std, try the 11-54 Beefy's instead.

Last edited:

Dominik1986

Keep in mind 11-48 in C# standard is actually more slinky than 9's in E std, so they will be quite loose, which some people prefer. If you like more of the feel of 10's in E std, try the 11-52 Beefy's instead.

Thank you that's a very good hint!!! I think I'll keep them in mind, because I don't like it when the strings are too loose.

Julian

If you don't like the strings beeing to loose, maybe you try something harder. I'm sorry but I can't really recomment any gauge für C# (maybe about 12-56) as I'm always playing in E, but I also don't like loose strings and use 11-48 für E-Standard on my Axis Sport.

Cheers... :rolleyes:

Dominik1986

I mean never used any others after I started using EB strings. Tried D'Addario and Fender strings before, but EB are the ones I like most

Top Bottom