• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Johnny Alien

I picked up a used Axis Sport MM-90 awhile back. It was cheap because it had some finish issues. It was originally a purple trans color but the finish was flaking off in huge pieces. Apparently this would happen to some older EBMM finishes from time to time. It's a shame because purple trans is killer but there was no saving it so it had to be refinished.

52875139014_7ee9cd62a5_k.jpg

It had a matching headstock and I didn't think that I could get a purple trans refinish that would match it so I just went completely off and got a jade pearl color and took the headstock to natural. The work was done by Pat Wilkins. Sadly there was no axis sport decal available and it would be 2 months until he could get one so I just opted to go without. It came out great.

The new wiring is a 4 way switch that does bridge, neck, both parallel, both series. I am currently deciding on which knob color to go with. Advice and opinions are requested.

52875414958_e49d67f535_k.jpg

GWDavis28

Did it have a painted headstock? Love the MM90's on the Axis Sport.

Glenn |B)

Johnny Alien

It did. There was no guarantee that a new body finish would be able to match the existing headstock color. I thought briefly about doing some sort of white that would allow me to keep the purple headstock as a purposeful mismatch but obviously I didn't go down that path.

fbecir

First I saw the pic with the four knobs and I thought : Johnny is crazy, 4 knobs is too much ... and after I read the text 🤓

I also prefer metal knobs, but otherwise I choose the gold ones. Life is too short, put some colours in your life.

The new finish is beautiful

racerx

Fantastic job - I'm with the others on black knobs (pup match) or metal barrels (bridge match).

V_S

Hmm... nice color. I'd go for cream. On the other side: white matches the pickguard!

GWDavis28

First I saw the pic with the four knobs and I thought : Johnny is crazy, 4 knobs is too much ... and after I read the text 🤓

I also prefer metal knobs, but otherwise I choose the gold ones. Life is too short, put some colours in your life.

The new finish is beautiful
Hahahahahaha I was thinking the exact same thing, what's the deal :ROFLMAO:.

The Black Tele style knobs like on the Luke might fit well.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom