• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if the Sterling guitars have are unfinished (actually, the Music Man guitars are oil/wax finished) because they don't mention it on the website at all and the oil.wax finish would be selling a point. I'm guessing it's a satin finished, in which case it's no different to anything you've ever had before. @PeteDuBaldo can you clarify?

If it is oil and wax finished, some people do nothing, some people just wipe it clean when necessary, some do a very light sanding and oil/wax once or twice a year.

Crossroads

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if the Sterling guitars have are unfinished (actually, the Music Man guitars are oil/wax finished) because they don't mention it on the website at all and the oil.wax finish would be selling a point. I'm guessing it's a satin finished, in which case it's no different to anything you've ever had before. @PeteDuBaldo can you clarify?

If it is oil and wax finished, some people do nothing, some people just wipe it clean when necessary, some do a very light sanding and oil/wax once or twice a year.
Hey Dr Kev

How about a JP15 piledriver? Tung Oil, Tru Oil, 000 steel wool, scotchbrite? I see a lot of differing opinions.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I stay away from steel wool, to messy and potentially problematic. Somewhere in the 600-1200 grit sandpaper fange is perfect. Tru-oil is the standard choice but any similar quality wood oil is ideal. Here's how I do it...

The only thing I would add to the video is to say not to use too much wax. If youuse a lot of wax the neck feels like a beautifully slick and smooth finished neck. If you wnat a more natural wood feel, use the minimum wax, or none at all.

Last edited:

calan

I have roasted maple necks and fretboards on two guitars I built, and plain maple on several others. Personally, I don't use any finish at all.

I've always preferred a natural unfinished maple neck, even if not roasted. If anything, I'll rub in 3 or 4 coats of tru-oil (maybe with a little armorall added in...old gun stock trick) on the back of a non-roasted neck, and then buff it with a maroon scotch pad. Every year or two I'll hit it with another quick rub or two of the same.

To protect the fretboard... eat half a bag of good chips with your left hand, wipe off your hand with a dry paper towel, and start running some scales. (Assuming you are right-handed of course). :D

Last edited:

mikeller

I have never had to sand any of mine - I do keep my hands clean and wipe the necks with Wonder Wipes when I change strings. Then every year or two I wipe the neck down with 3-1 water diluted Murphy's Oil soap and on a lightly damped cloth removing it quickly with fresh paper towels a time or two as needed, then use Tru Oil (which I let sit for 2 minutes and buff it off with fresh paper towels) and the apply a few coats of Tru Wax, (again, apply and let sit for a short minute and buff off with fresh clean paper towels.

calan

I'm not sure if the Sterling guitars have are unfinished

The neck on the Sterling S.U.B. AX4 I just picked up is completely raw, except for only the front of the headstock which appears to be laquer or urethane.

Surprisingly, a fantastic little guitar. It had two previous owners, and neither one of them had ever even set it up or played it. Still had the protective film on the covers and everything. Wish I could find another one.

kozannostra

The neck on the Sterling S.U.B. AX4 I just picked up is completely raw, except for only the front of the headstock which appears to be laquer or urethane.

Surprisingly, a fantastic little guitar. It had two previous owners, and neither one of them had ever even set it up or played it. Still had the protective film on the covers and everything. Wish I could find another one.
I just bought AX4 online, it is assymetrical neck, I believe.. but I can't get used to it.
The neck profile is too thick from the first up to the 7,8th fret.....compared to previous gutars I had..esp ltd..schecter..cort.

Do you or anyone knows is it okay to do some sanding to even it out and make it thinner?
I mostly play rhythm guitar

Top Bottom