• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

SurajitRay

Hi SBMM team,

I have been playing the SBMM JP70 for a couple of years now and i must say i have thoroughly enjoyed myself. However recently i have been thinking about swapping the SBMM HB pickups with the Dimarzio Rainmaker7 and Dreamcatcher7. I have nothing against the stock pickups. I like them a lot. I just wanted to try something different. Therefore before i go ahead and purchase those pickups i wanted to have some doubts clarified about the wiring setup of the JP70.

I saw the each pickup had 5 wires: Black, White, Red, Green and Un-shielded.
For both pickups, B and W were soldered and wrapped with tape.
For 1 pickup, R went to the circuit board. G and U were soldered to a POT.
For the other pickup, G went the circuit board. R and U were soldered to the same POT and at the same point as above.
Will this same convention need to be followed for the Dimarzio Rainmaker7 and Dreamcatcher7? I ask because in some thread i remember reading for both pickups R goes to the circuit board and G and U get soldered together to the POT, apparently for Grounding. Is there any specific reason why the 1 pickup uses R and the other uses G to connect to the circuit board, like a phase shift or something?

My second question is i found both the POTs used has R2410n A500 written on them. Does that mean it is a 500K POT. Can the same POT be used for the Dimarzio Rainmaker7 and Dreamcatcher7?

Along the same lines as above, will any of the electrical or electronics like Resistors, Capacitors, etc. in the JP70, need to be changed for the Dimarzio Rainmaker7 and Dreamcatcher7?

I am not looking for a coil tap or a volume boost feature. The JP70 i have is fine on its own. I just wanted to try some different tones.

Any insight that someone from the SBMM and/or Dimarzio team can provide me on this is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom