• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

What amplification are you playing your EBMM guitars through?

• Traditional Tube/Valve/Solid state Amplifier

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Modelling Amplifier

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • DAW+Plugins

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
What kind of amplification are playing your EBMM guitars through these days? Modelling amps, physical amps, an old radio, something else? In keeping with unofficial but most important forum rules, please post photos.

Here's my Mesa Express 5:25. I bought it a few years back. It was in pretty poor shape, and stank to high heaven after 10 years in rehearsal studio shared by 3 bands, every single member of which smoked! I washed and cleaned and deodorised the ever-loving heck out of it, put a new grill cloth on, changed the stock knobs for Mark V style, replaced a few components, changed the speaker a few times (there's a Greenback reissue in there now), and she is only gorgeous! (Don't ask me why I referred to her as 'she', I don't know why I do but I just do). I use the clean channel 90% of the time with all effects in the front but all channels are great and record beautifully with an E906.

IMG_7350.JPG

loocnmad

Pics forthcoming

For live playing Axis SS usually goes into a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe. The Cutlass and Valentine go into an Alessandro hand wired Deluxe Reverb.

And I don’t know what it is about them but Budda amps are magical with EBMM guitars. The only problem is Budda’s need to get super loud before they give up the goods. I have a Superdrive 30 and Dual Stage 30 into a reactive load for silent recording.

jlf599

I have two amps these days -- it'd be one, but once I got my dream amp, I couldn't part with my previous amp. And I'm glad about that.

The dream amp is the purple tolex Soldano SLO 30 paired with an Avatar vertical 2x12 loaded with Avatar Fane M65 creambacks. The amp I couldn't part with is a Fender SuperSonic 22 combo. I love the SLO but in the end, the SS20 may be my "If you can only have one amp" amp. It's got Deluxe Reverb as the clean channel and then a crunch channel that's basically 70s Aerosmith when you plug straight in. These amps are sleepers...I've not figured out why they aren't more popular.

In order to save space and just because I kind of want to, I'm having the SS20 re-homed into a custom head shell presently. They make a head version but for reasons I don't understand in the least, it doesn't have reverb...so Moon Custom Cabinetry is building a head shell for me with navy tolex and wheat grill cloth. I'll use it with the same Avatar cab. I'll likely take the manual switching route of changing cables but maybe someday I'll splurge for the fancy Radial or Mesa head/cab switcher. :)

2024-04-26 15.09.27 smol.jpg 2020-09-24 19.47.46 smol.jpg

GoKart Mozart

The dream amp is the purple tolex Soldano SLO 30 paired with an Avatar vertical 2x12 loaded with Avatar Fane M65 creambacks. The amp I couldn't part with is a Fender SuperSonic 22 combo. I love the SLO but in the end, the SS20 may be my "If you can only have one amp" amp. It's got Deluxe Reverb as the clean channel and then a crunch channel that's basically 70s Aerosmith when you plug straight in. These amps are sleepers...I've not figured out why they aren't more popular.

I've been curious about this later script logo SuperSonics ever since they were released but never have ran across one at the right time. Seems like a great feature set in a small package!

fbecir

Hello

My amp companion during several years and for a lot of shows was this Fender Blues Deville 4x10" :
DSC06570.JPG

Nice sound, but very loud and quite heavy !

Now I have to admit that I went to the dark side : an IK Multimedia ToneX and a Fender FR12. A rig I can carry alone (the Fender FR12 is just 12 kg) :
IMG-20240605-WA0008.jpg

I love tube amps ... but really digital sounds great also and it is so light and easy to use (no need to put a mic, there is an XLR output on the amp).

My Blues Deville is collecting dust and I am a bit ashamed by that ... but my back feels better.

jlf599

I've been curious about this later script logo SuperSonics ever since they were released but never have ran across one at the right time. Seems like a great feature set in a small package!
So, I started with a 100W Fender Tonemaster (Zinky design) that I got in a trade...and I absolutely loved the tone but there was just no way to tame the power. I tried the 60W SuperSonic (blocky logo) because I was told that was a Zinky design based on the 100W Tonemaster but it was not quite the same. I ordered the 22W on a whim from Sweetwater because they had a demo model and I don't regret it the tiniest bit.

jlf599

I love tube amps ... but really digital sounds great also and it is so light and easy to use (no need to put a mic, there is an XLR output on the amp).

My Blues Deville is collecting dust and I am a bit ashamed by that ... but my back feels better.
I switched from a Marshall 6100 head and 4x12 to a Kemper Profiler toaster and a pair of powered FRFR Yamaha speakers. My back thanked me and in a band situation, it was almost impossible to tell the difference.

I ditched modeling (gigged with the Kemper, experimented with others) because I ended up spending more time tweaking than playing -- which is MY fault, not the modelers...but it was the right change for me. I still ponder some of the UA pedal modelers that are one particular amp with a few cabs/sounds but haven't made that leap.

So never feel bad about choosing what works for you!

Last edited:

Sweat

I do not play out never have never will but I have a few different setups, have a Hughes and Ketner Deluxe 20 into a H and K cab, a Soldano solid state into a Mesa Boogie Stack, a Digitech rack mounted processor into Pioneer monitors and a practice amp, Spark Positive Grid

Have a couple other s selling

Achilles

Pics forthcoming

For live playing Axis SS usually goes into a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe. The Cutlass and Valentine go into an Alessandro hand wired Deluxe Reverb.

And I don’t know what it is about them but Budda amps are magical with EBMM guitars. The only problem is Budda’s need to get super loud before they give up the goods. I have a Superdrive 30 and Dual Stage 30 into a reactive load for silent recording.
How do you like the BE 50 Deluxe? I've actually been looking at 3 different Friedman amps and trying to decide which one to get. The BE-100 Deluxe, BE-50 Deluxe, and the new Vintage Plex. I'm currently leaning toward the Vintage Plex because I play a lot of Van Halen.

mikeller

I had a non-script SuperSonic 60 1-12 and thought it was one of the better sounding amps I ever had. Just got to heavy to get up and down the steps and in and out of the car every show. The handle is a hard rubber and not very hand friendly at all, but really great sounds !!!

PeteDuBaldo

Lately - both!

My preferred rig (sound I hear in my head) is the SLO-100.

fb_img_1690041442826-jpg.42074

For the past 3 months I have been using one of the new Fractal FM-9 mk ii turbo units, run to both the front of house & monitors as well as to an FRFR behind me.

IMG_20240531_192432669_HDR~2.jpg

loocnmad

How do you like the BE 50 Deluxe? I've actually been looking at 3 different Friedman amps and trying to decide which one to get. The BE-100 Deluxe, BE-50 Deluxe, and the new Vintage Plex. I'm currently leaning toward the Vintage Plex because I play a lot of Van Halen.
Gonna be hard to keep this short and not derail the thread, haha. I love the BE-50. Aside from wattage the biggest difference is the 100 Deluxe has a plexi voiced clean channel (like the small box) and the 50 has a F style clean channel (from the Buxom Betty). I originally had a Runt 50 combo and upgraded to the 50 Deluxe when they came out.

That said, I’m completely enamored with the demos of the new Plex amp. I think that’s the tone I’ve really wanted instead of the hot rodded 800 style I’ve gone with in the past. Plus, you can’t beat Friedman build quality or support. Pm me and I can share some positive experiences I’ve personally had with them.

loocnmad

I went over to a guys house the other day to buy a 2x12 and this was his living room...single dude of course:

View attachment 43851 View attachment 43852
That is the living room of a man with the correct priorities in life.

EDIT:
And not just the amps. What looks like some nice pieces of solid wood furniture and multiple bottles of Makers Mark.

Last edited:

beej

I've got these (plus a 70's Marshall 4x12 that didn't make it into the pic)-

JB Amps.jpg
Amp 1.jpg

But always gig with the same one :) Just something special about it. (The Amp 1 is great for rehearsing and as a backup though.)

Guytron.jpg

Those things at the bottom are plexiglass diffusers ("ToneShield"). Seriously excellent for diffusing the sound so you can hear yourself everywhere. The box on top is the "Blubox", IR loader for feeding the PA (for gigs where we need instruments in the PA).

Last edited:

loocnmad

Well, thanks to some alcohol and the encouragement of a very enabling friend I’ll be able to report back on a Friedman Plex in about a week

Top Bottom