• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
I just recently bought a Bongo 5 and I'm shocked at how close the G-string is to the edge of the fretboard. The string sits right over the fret bevel on the lower frets (1-5 ish).

I've seen all kinds of solutions suggested here and other forums, but I wondered if there was a definitive suggestion?

I've already tried re-seating the neck, but the pocket is so tight that it's hard to make any adjustments. I am trying to adapt my technique, but it seems completely alien to me compared to every other bass I own, including my Bongo 6.

Some more details:

• Just below the nut, the centre of the G string to the edge of the fretboard is approximately 2mm. On my Bongo 6, the gap between C and fretboard edge is more like 3.5mm.
  • The string spacing at the nut seems slightly larger on the 5, but only by <.5mm
  • I've just ordered a replacement nut, to check if there is any physical difference.
  • I'm happy to admit that part of my technique is to bend notes down slightly when I fret them and add some vibrato. I can play without doing this, but it's actually part of my sound.

Things I've seen which might help the issue:

• Re-seating the neck, to improve the string-over-board alignment.
  • Moving the bridge.
  • Replacing the nut with a custom nut, with slightly tighter string spacing.
  • Changing technique.
  • Slight possibility the neck+board might not be straight on the sides - check with straight edge.
  • Lowering the g-string action, so less muscle effort is required to fret the strings.
    • I confess I've not yet adjusted the action to my usual (lower than factory setting). I'd still need to adjust my technique.

Thanks in advance, for any feedback.

...Joe.

bovinehost

Administrator
The spacing on the Stingray 5 is pretty tight, leading to the G string being pretty close to the edge of the fretboard. I've seen people complain about it in the past and I do see what they're saying although I've had about maybe 100 Stingray 5s and adapted with very little effort. And I'm definitely not a "good technique" kind of guy.

But I haven't seen this complaint regarding Bongo 5s. Without looking at it closely, I'd guess (and that's what this is and worth exactly what you paid for it) that the nut might not be quite right. I have a gaggle of Bongo 5s and haven't had this experience so I - again - guess that it's unique to this instrument and not a production issue. This isn't much help, I know, but check the nut or have a trusted pro have a go at it.

Jack

The spacing on the Stingray 5 is pretty tight, leading to the G string being pretty close to the edge of the fretboard. I've seen people complain about it in the past and I do see what they're saying although I've had about maybe 100 Stingray 5s and adapted with very little effort. And I'm definitely not a "good technique" kind of guy.

But I haven't seen this complaint regarding Bongo 5s. Without looking at it closely, I'd guess (and that's what this is and worth exactly what you paid for it) that the nut might not be quite right. I have a gaggle of Bongo 5s and haven't had this experience so I - again - guess that it's unique to this instrument and not a production issue. This isn't much help, I know, but check the nut or have a trusted pro have a go at it.

Jack
Thanks Jack, I'll certainly take a look at the nut. My replacement should be here in a few days.

I had a Bongo 5 a few years ago and I certainly don't remember this issue, but I didn't keep it too long before getting my 6.

tbonesullivan

Any pictures of the nut area? Problems that low on the fretboard are usually from the Nut. It's when you have higher fret problems that neck resetting really helps.

Any pictures of the nut area? Problems that low on the fretboard are usually from the Nut. It's when you have higher fret problems that neck resetting really helps.
That makes a lot of sense to me, from past experience and even from basic trigonometry. I included neck seating as an option because either on this or the Talkbass forum, at least one member was insisting it was the issue. I've got a few photos, and the replacement nut also arrived today. It's different, but not significantly.

20220115_124113.jpeg
^ Bongo 5 nut. The issue on the first fret looks a little worse here, due to shadowing.

20220115_124208.jpeg
^ Comparison with replacement nut. Different groove width and depth, but centre of groove seems similar distance from edge. Will perform more accurate check later.

20220115_124343.jpeg
^ Bongo 6 nut (for reference). At least 1mm extra distance from string centre to fretboard edge. The difference is clear visibly, and also when measured with callipers.

As an update on this... I removed the nut (it was extremely well glued and lacquered in place), and compared it to the replacement nut. The differences are minor, but definitely around 0.5mm difference between nut edge and string slot centre (it's difficult to be completely accurate, as the replacement nut has completely square shoulders, where the original is rounded-off for better ergonomics and fit). The new nut gave me the option to try two things:

1. Open-out the g-string slot, slightly off-centre from the existing (it needed opening-out anyway).
    • This really didn't help, as I was only able to achieve fractions of a millimetre without adversely affecting the string spacing.
  2. File off some of the locating pin on the underside of the nut.
    • This made a bigger difference. I was able to file off around 1mm, which has allowed me to shift the nut so the g-string is further from the fretboard edge.

In all, the string is around 1.5mm further away from the fretboard edge. It's still not close to the C on my 6'er, but it's perfectly workable.

I guess we can consider this issue resolved, and in summary (for situations where the g-string is too close to the board at the low and middle frets):

• Adjusting the seating of the neck in the pocket is unlikely to help, as it would take major adjustments at that end to make small adjustments at the low-end of the board. Obviously worth checking, but probably not an issue.
  • In situations where the string is so close to the edge of the board, technique might not make a difference (or technique adjustments would need to be dramatic).
  • It is possible to improve the situations with adjustments at the nut.
    • I have the tools and some skills, having made my own instruments, but even I would prefer to get a luthier, or skilled tech to do this in future - especially as I had to cut the lacquer away around the nut and I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to sort that out.
Oh, and the replacement nut was black, where the OG was white. Maybe I'll get a tech to make me a proper one in the right colour.

Goes without saying, but YMMV. :)

Top Bottom