• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Anti-Flag

I play fast bass, i use a pick, i play a lot of high notes. I play bass that sounds a lot like the bass in anti-flag, if you have ever heard them. SO- i want to buy a new bass, but i cant decide between a sterling and a StingRay. Will someone tell me which is better for my needs? (I know anti-flag uses either a StingRay or a Sterling because you can see the bass in pictures, but not enough to differenciate between the 2):confused: I attached a picture of anti-flags bassist, see if you can identify the bass as a sterling or stingRay

Anthony

ST Vs Sterl

Derek,

Look at the Website and you will see the difference.

The Sting Ray (4 String)comes stock with Volume, Bass and Treble knobs- and no switch (the 5 string has a swich and a midrange knob as well). Midrange knob on 4-string is an option- it'll cost ya, but it is well worth it for tonal variation. The Body of the Sting Ray is bigger than the Sterling.

The Sterling comes with volume, bass, midrange and treble knobs and has a three way switch-check out the specs pages for specifics.

Hope this helps- I suggest you go play both to see which is right for you. But check them out on the Website for specifics.

Cheers,
Anthony

stew-man

Welcome!

I didn't see a picture attached of Anti-Flag's bassist, but if you're interested in having a bit better access to the higher frets, I really think the Sterling might be better suited for you. Anthony is right, it has a bit smaller body than the Stingray and slightly different shape on the lower cutaway, I think.

When I had to choose between the Stingray and the Sterling, I found it much easier to reach the highest frets on the Sterling. They're both very well built and sound good. I just found the Sterling to be very managable.

I'd say it would definitely be worth the effort to make a drive to a place where you could pick up both (in person.) You should be able to tell which would be right for you in a few minutes.

Keep us posted!

Best Wishes

Dub Saint

I went to Anti-Flag's website and the Ernie Ball in question is definitely a Stingray. On one of the pictures you can see the chrome plate underneath the volume/EQ knobs - a definite giveaway because the Sterling doesn't have one of those to my knowledge.

Also, it looks like the bassist plays a Fender as well, but I didn't look at the Fender pictures in any great detail... :)

Dub Saint

I went to Anti-Flag's website and the Ernie Ball in question is definitely a Stingray. On one of the pictures you can see the chrome plate underneath the volume/EQ knobs - a definite giveaway because the Sterling doesn't have one of those to my knowledge.

Also, it looks like the bassist plays a Fender as well, but I didn't look at the Fender pictures in any great detail... :)

Anti-Flag

fender

yeah, i think the pictures of him with the fender are old, before he got an ernie ball. So i think he just switched later. But anyway, if a sterling is smaller etc, i wonder why he got a StingRay, maybe that one sound difference...makes a difference! And also maybe its the different options that were mentioned in the previous posts. Well im going to try em both out soon

silly

chris #2 from anti-flag defenetly plays a stingray.

Aladdin

Stingray and Sterling

These two basses do sound different and they feel very different. I felt rather uncomfortable when I played the Sterling. Not that it wasn't good. It's tone combinations were killer, better than the Stingray. The smallish neck at the nut was uncomfortable for me. The Stingray sounded and felt more grounded and open. Its feeling was the same also, open and solid. I can play faster and more accurately on the Stingray. Maybe that's because I have big, clunky fingers.

However, that is me. Maybe Anti-Flag's bassist felt the same way. If he played a Fender Precision bass before, he might feel uncomfortable moving to the Sterling which has closer to a Jazz-sized width.

Man... these little things huh..?

-Peace

mike jewels

They're both excellent basses. Although the Sterling IS more versatile than a 'Ray because of the 3 way switch, the Sterling doesn't quite nail the fuller, chunky beef sound of a Stingray exactly. It comes close, but, the 'Ray sounds slightly different.

A friend at another bass site told this to me, I went to a music store, and lo and behold - HE WAS RIGHT.

Mike

SWR_n_EB

Sterling

Hey, I gotta say, the Sterling is quite easy to play off of. Give tis think some credit. it doesn't take long to get used to. And on the plus side, if u don't like the chrome, the Sterling doesn't have it.

Just play em both, can't go wrong either way you go.:)

Top Bottom