• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DesertFiddler

Dear Mr. Ball,

My name is Eric Frankson and I live in La Quinta, CA. I'm a local fiddler and pianoman. I'm also the Principal 2nd violinist with the Coachella Valley Symphony. I'm a director on the CVS Board, and teach group violin classes at various elementary schools in La Quinta and Indio for the Beginning Strings Conservatory. Add to that my participation with the Virginia Waring Intl. Piano Competition, and I'm pretty ingrained in the music scene in the Valley community.

Being also a rock fiddler, I've had to schlepp my gear like the rest of the band in 115 degree heat, to set up and play for of handful of people who don't give a damn. Me and hundreds of other musicians in this valley that play the cheap roadhouse gigs, the noisy restaurants, the outside weddings...

I thought we deserved a 'reward', a treat for being such noble guardians of 'Music' in such a tough place as the Coachella Valley. So I got together with Rick Jones at the new Indio Performing Arts Center (the old 'Twisters' building) and are co-producing a concert of local artists.

It's actually a bit more then that...

'ROCK the IPAC!' is a 12 hour rockfest celebrating LOCAL talent. It is being held on Sept. 6th, from 10 am till 10 pm. There are 5 stages being run concurrently, with a Pro Jam at the end.

So far 28 bands have agreed to play a set. We will have a total of 32 bands and 10 cabaret acts! These acts include entertainers that have been part of the local scene for the last 40 years. Three 'Hall-of-Fame' bands have been chosen as a 'headliner' on the main stages. Three stages are set in 120 seat movie theaters. One will be called the "Pro Stage" for smaller cover bands, one the "Eclectic Stage" for unique talented solo or duo acts, and finally, "Rick's Garage" for new bands and bands appealing to the 'under 25' set.

All proceeds will go the the Indio Performing Arts Center and it's children's education programs. There's a 'Vendor's Row' where the bands can sell their CD's for free, and various music suppliers can advertise their wares.

Pretty cool, huh?

Mr. Ball, I certainly could use your experience and expertise to help me pull this off. This is going to be a 'one-stop-shop' for restaurant and bar owners, local agents, and recording labels to see the very best the Coachella Valley has to offer. But the logistics, while managed, are growing exponentially every day.

I've seen you and your buddies rockin' on the stage a couple of years ago. The musical joy and elation you showed then is what I am hoping to supply to our local musicians, music lovers, and industry professionals on Sept. 6th.

Only 600 day-passes will be sold at $20 a piece. What a deal! This will be possibly the greatest local concert ever held in the Valley. I hope Ernie Ball Strings and Music Man will consider helping our cause.

Thanks for your consideration!

Eric Frankson
DesertFiddler

Last edited:

DesertFiddler

ROCK the IPAC Retrospective

Dear Mr. Ball,

Thought you'd find my review of ROCK the IPAC! interesting, from a first-time-producing viewpoint. All the bands are local, and all would be perfect for your battle of the bands. We had 33 bands and 11 cabaret entertainers in a 12 hour, non-stop concert. It was a huge success.

If you would like any of the bands contact info, I'll be glad to get it to you.

We're already looking ahead to next year's 2 day festival.

The following is long, but interesting (I hope):

ROCK the IPAC! Retrospective
By Eric Frankson

“One more to go...”, I thought. We'd just finished band #32, Feisty Joe, on Main 2. 32 bands had just completed a marathon music-fest. The last up was John Stanley King band. As I wearily walked the floor once again, with a genuine smile on my face, I was complimented by a spectator about the concert's success. I had to just say four words... “One more to go.”.

My co-producer of the concert, Rick Jones, and I seemed to be on the verge of pulling off an amazing day-long concert, using 5 stages, featuring 33 local bands, 12 cabaret acts, and dozens upon dozens of volunteers. All donating their time and patience to make our ROCK the IPAC! event a success on all fronts: Great publicity for the Indio Performing Arts Center and the participating bands. A vast palette of music for the public to taste and enjoy. Tons of original music, performed by local independent artists. All proceeds going to the Children's Educational Outreach Programs for the IPAC. The day so far had the sense of a big family reunion, with bands bringing their best, and showing what a terrific bunch of professionals they were in all respects. I never had a doubt the bands would do what they said they were going to do. Just “bring their own end to the gig”.

And they did so. Impressively. New bands and old bands, working together in a buzz of activity. Every problem that arouse was immediately taken care of by the bands. No whining. No egos. After all, we're family. We are the brotherhood of musicians and entertainers that schlep our amps and instruments and gear in 110 degree heat all summer long, all over the valley, to play at bars and libraries and weddings and roadhouses. We're the true musical fabric of the Coachella Valley, and we deserved our own celebration. ROCK the IPAC! was the answer.

Rick and I were going to make sure that the local groups had their own 'Coachella-fest'. But in reverse. Only local performers would be invited. Out-siders already have their own music festivals, and only out-siders are currently being used as talent for most of the local music festivals. The local bands have been largely ignored. It's the old desert mentality that good things need to be brought in here, not produced here. I had already turned down a half a dozen bands because they didn't live in this blast furnace of a desert we love to call home. And I admit, it felt a bit satisfying to say “It's only for local bands”. Outsiders need not apply...

The day started with the Night Owls on Main #2, and Symara Stone in the Eclectic Theater. I took my personal act out of the line-up to make room for Symara. She's young and talented, singing original songs and playing guitar. I was impressed when I first heard her at Robby T's open jam a month before. She's soulful, folksy, and writes great lyrics for someone as young as she is. She was terrific as the first 'act' of the first festival. I was truly proud of her performance.

And at the same time, the Night Owls started off the day with a high energy performance that got the place really rocking. Glen Buzby and the boys really we're hot right from the start. It set the tone for the rest of the festival. They were great! Then came Radio 60, and Wyte Gye, and the Evaros. Each group impressive and extremely talented. What an honor to be able to hear them all 'bring their end to the gig'. I knew I had made the right choice in picking them to lead our line-up. The Evaros brought their entire clan, and had a special commendation from Bonny Garcia's office given to them by Chuck Vasquez. It was a special moment for all.

And then the first set of four bands was done. The pro stage had run into some glitches, but had corrected them on their own, and added a huge drum riser to the stage. I corralled Jeff from 3-of-a-Kind to find out the status of their start-time. He assured me that they'd be up and running in no time. He not only got them 'up and running', he even somehow combined his band with the Myx and Phantajia, played a truly memorable set, and caught the stage up to schedule. Amazing. And without a bit of direction from Rick or me. He and Paul Villalobos and the rest of the guys who had to deal with a 'rough start' at the Pro Stage, each stepped up to the plate and hit home-runs. What a bunch of talented pros. And once again I smiled at the blessings of so many gifted individuals surrounding me.

Time for a surprise during intermission. I arranged to have the mariachi orchestra from Coachella, Aztecas de Oro, to perform. As they marched into the main hall and onto stage #1, their black and silver costumes sparkled, and the audience knew they were going to hear something completely different. The leader of the high-school group, Juvinal Gonzales, launched the orchestra into a set that was charming and very professional. The female singers of the group really stopped everyone in their tracks with their extended, perfectly held high notes; a staple of Mariachi music. Their performance left me with goose-bumps. Once again, another success!

All during this time, Rick's Garage, our stage for newer acts, was cranking out band after band. Sailor on the Shore started out the day, then Mira La Luz, then The Pterodactyls. High energy, clean sound, and proof of a lot of practice. And it just got better and better at Rick's Garage. One of my 'unknown bands', Soul Opus, brought a reggae act that had everyone talking about them. Then came Rip Torn, a late addition to the concert venue. Playing an alternative, Indie rock style of music, Zane Kanadjian and crew brought an instrumental refinement that belied their young age. Zane was a previous member of the Buddy Rogers Youth Symphony, and used his electric fiddle to bring a fresh sound to the festival.

And the best part about the new young acts was their getting on and off the stage in record time. I never once had to push or prod any of the newbie bands. They came to the concert to prove their professionalism; and they truly did. As did the next band, the Obsidians, and then Electrified Fooling Machine. New, edgy, electronic, sonic rock. And volume never became an issue. The ol' IPAC building absorbed the thumping bass and crashing drums. You didn't know that a rock concert was going on inside the theater till you entered the theater door. What a great venue for a rock group! Rick's Garage used the curtain to open each act. Each act had the experience that every garage band dreams of, opening the curtain to lights and applause. It was Rick Jones dream, and it was one of the best highlights of the concert.

The main stage area was about to get 'hard'. First Neon Max took the stage. This was my co-producer's band. I knew how much work they had put into their new show. Tight and energetic, they presented originals that truly rocked. They were followed by Sunday Funeral; a young and up-and-coming metal band. The audience loved them, so I gave them a couple more songs. They deserved it. Then immediately came Technicolor Wolves on the opposing stage. Again, a young group, but with a more melodic tone, that grabbed the audience's attention and never let it go till they were finished. I gave them a couple of extra songs too. I'm glad I did.

Finally Klonus, a two-man Alternative rock group finished the concert set. They impressed me with their ability to sound so much bigger then a two-piece. A perfect ending to a rockin' 2nd set. I then had Jeannette Banoczi, the CEO and President of the Coachella Valley Symphony, and the founder of the Buddy Rogers Youth Symphony and the Beginning Strings Conservatory, come up on stage to say a few words to her 'fellow musicians'. She started her speech by playing When The Saints Go Marching In on her trumpet (at the age of almost 87) then told a little bit about her amazing life with music. I hoped her love of music and children's programs would rub off on the audience. I'm confident that it did, and once again the audience was reminded how important it is to pass on the value of music to our next generation.

The Pro Stage was going smoothly, to my great relief. Ol' Harbor and a late entry, 10 Fold, each brought their end to the gig, and gave a seemless, professional set that any promoter would be proud of. Then came the Mighty Delta-Tones. Better then I ever heard them, they rocked the IPAC with a memphis-edged blues that left me smiling as I left the theater, on my way to put out the many little 'fires' that arise during a huge concert undertaking as ours. But every problem had a quick solution, and many hands helped ease Rick's and my load of 'issues' we had to overcome. All during the first half of the festival, Rick was a non-stop roving problem solver. Whether a sound issue or a personality clash, Rick seemed to show up at the right moment and the issue was solved. Indeed, Rick's and my constant attention to every part of the concert helped keep the juggernaut rolling ahead, and not bogging down.

I stopped by Rick's Garage to catch The Pills, with Dr. Peter Kadile. Peter had already helped me with a medical issue in the VIP room. Indeed, his being part of the program was our great fortune, not only because of his medical help, but because his band was outstanding! To finish off the stage, I had Stan 'The Man' Foreman lead a 2 hour jam for those local guys who didn't get to play in any other venue. Stan and Paul Villalobos from The Myx gave the festival a feeling of friendliness and openness I was hoping for when I started the original planning. And then the stage was done! One down, four to go.

The Eclectic Stage was being run by Woody O'Keefe, a wonderful Irish folk artist and all-around terrific guy. His patience and his un-ending energy allowed the theater to run as smooth as any venue we had going. Their was such a different vibe in the Eclectic Stage. If variety is the spice of life, then the Eclectic was the spice of the concert. Everyone helped each other. Everyone listened and applauded one another. Again the feeling of 'family' surrounded all of the performers. Our female cabaret singers, like Nicky Vallee and Rochelle, sounded soulful, sweet, and certainly showed the amount of talent they each had. My dear friends Phoenix Featherock and Gregory and Peggy Satori, and Todd Ashley all were at the top of their 'game'. My heart was warmed by their earnest, flawless performances. And they certainly gave the theater a well deserved name, The Eclectic.

To finish off the Eclectic Stage, I had Opus 111, a classical flute quartet, play (featuring my close friend, Christian Chalifour, the conductor of the Coachella Valley Symphony), followed by local radio personality and band leader Brad Mercer singing solo originals (boy, is he fun to listen to!), and the phenomenal Mara Getz singing jazz with Joel Baker on the piano. This was the first time I got to meet Joel, a fellow 'pianoman'. We both play at the Red Tomato in Cathedral City during the season, but had never had a chance to meet. Just another neat thing that happened at ROCK the IPAC!. The theater finished it's marathon with John Hardie playing keyboards, guitar, and singing. If all of the rest of musicians one day could achieve John's technical ability and polish...

Then the Eclectic Stage was done. Two down. Rick and I were coming into the 'home-stretch'. The Pro Stage had been rocking all afternoon. But the theater wasn't done yet. Suzanne Oliver Band took over the stage with a high energy performance that was highlighted by Suzanne's incredible charisma. After watching her performance for a while, I realized that anyone who thinks the desert is void of talent must be delusional. What an array of talent we'd already shown. In every field of music. Terry Williams Band was up next. I owe Terry an apology. His set started and I got embroiled in a couple of incidents on the main floor. I missed his set. But I'll catch him next year, because he's being invited back. As will be the last act on the Pro Stage, Petting Zoo. James St. James promised a 'top-flight' performance, and he wasn't kidding. They were the best I've ever seen them perform.

And then the Pro Stage was done. The finish line was in sight. The main floor had a schedule of some of the most talented bands in the valley coming up. First Paul Douglas band played a flawless set of covers, featuring a lovely lead female singer. Then came the show group, The Pedestrians. They are developing quite a following, and I could see why. 9 players, including a horn line and a DJ, in full costume, put on a show that can critiqued with one word. “Wow!”. They've put a lot of work into their act, and it shows. Next up was Beau MacDougal, a close friend of mine and one of the finest guitarists in Southern California. As his band performed, I noticed more and more guitar players sitting and watching his marvelous technical ability. A good player lets his fingers do the talking. That's Beau. It was a great moment for all up-and-coming guitarists; to see the best at his best.

But the concert still had three hours to go. Three! Next up on main #1 was one of the valley's hardest working bands, Alyce Bowie. Their performance covered a wide swath of rock and roll, and they played a number of their originals, each that rocked! Lou and Kymm Galvan were one of my 'angels' that volunteered out of nowhere to help make the concert a success. They built the back-drops and donated staging. I was proud of their performance and their kind contributions to the IPAC and our concert. They won't be forgotten in the future.

Then we were down to the last two acts. Feisty Joe was up, and brought so much energy with them that even after 10 hours of ceaseless running around and work, I felt re-energized and felt finally that we were going to pull off the largest local concert ever. The guys from Feisty Joe had contributed their time and effort all day long to make sure all the bands had a great performance. Their sound tech worked his butt off all day long, and received a fair amount of 'crap' from stressed out bands. But in the end, their professionalism took the day, and every act they helped sounded better because of them. What a great bunch of guys.

Speaking of 'great people', the concert had been flowing smoothly all day because of the ceaseless help from our volunteers. Tony Amoroso, Patty and Ruth, from the IPAC office, as well as Rick's wife Stephanie, kept the show together and moving forward. With out their help, the entire festival could have ended up in a great big pile of rubble. And then there was Jim Porras, with the city of Indio, who was there every time we needed help. He arranged to get Indio football players to fill in for the security personnel we were to receive from Executive Security (which never showed up). Next year we'll get this problem fixed, but we won't be using Executive Security's services again. Another unsung hero, and a new friend of mine was David MacMillan, or DaveyMac. He's a local producer, owns his own sound company, and is a professional photographer. He supplied main stage #2 with the PA and equipment, as well as got a local distributer to supply RockStar drinks and water to the bands in the 'Musician's Green Room'. He, like all of us, had our moments, but we all shook them off, knowing that the festival and the kids were what was important. All the personal stuff was done away with, leaving us all with a feeling of 'family'.

Then there was only one... one band left. 32 bands and 12 cabaret performances, 11 hours of non-stop music. All local. All terrific. All completed professionally and seamlessly. It was more then I had hoped for. Rick and I were both beat to the bone by now. Our feet swollen. Our voices hoarse from talking over rock and roll all day. And as Rick came up to me, he said “We've done it!” with a huge smile on his face. But again, I had to say “One more to go.”. I didn't feel we would be truly successful until I said the magic words “Thank-you John Stanley King band, and goodnight!” . I'd been dreaming of that moment for months, and we were one set away from reaching that goal.

John Stanley King brought his whole family. His brother Ronny on keys, and his other brother Bob. Their wives and kids. And the whole band, including a crisp brass section and a percussionist that reminded me of Paco De Lucia. Although their was a lull in the action as we tried to get main #2 set up, eventually all was set, and the last act began. I'd never heard John Stanley King in person. Boy, I sure wish I had heard him before the concert. I'd jipped myself out of hearing and watching one of the best performers and bands in the Valley for years. I vowed I wouldn't let that happen again. Their set was tasteful, interesting, fun, and filled with top-notch musicianship. He rightfully deserved to be the “Hall-of-Fame” band we wanted to end the event with. He's also a real down-to-earth guy, and I will look forward to hearing him for years to come.

Then it was time. Time to thank John Stanley King, and all the hundreds of performers and volunteers that made the day a true success. As the words “Thank-you John Stanley King Band... and Goodnight!” left my lips, I realized that I was where I had been hoping to be from the beginning. Still standing. Still smiling. Proud of all my local musician friends who made ROCK the IPAC! such a stunning success. We tied in all the local musicians with the local media and a battalion of volunteers, and every one came away better then before. It was indeed a win/win situation for every person and group involved. We raised money for the kids, and in the process made ourselves better by being contributing, caring human beings. Our musical family 'Thought globally” and “Acted locally”. We walked away from the day long marathon with a sense that each one of us helped to make a positive difference in our difficult world today, and in the Valley we love so much.

ROCK the IPAC! worked because of the love and sharing of all the participants, and a new feeling of 'oneness' was created by our local music community. Yes, it was truly a success. I could say it now. Rick and I succeeded. Period.

Top Bottom