• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JBeaver

Hello. The adjustment screws on in the saddles of my stingray keep slipping, mainly the E string but sometimes the A too. Not always but sometimes. It’s very inconsistent. It’s also cussing problems (my best guess anyway) with my tuner. It looks like the note/tone is “pulsing” instead of being steady so it’s tough to dial it in accurately. This has only been on the E string. My guess is this is happening because the string is not seated properly on a loose saddle and the tuner is affected by it.

My first thought was to get it where I like it with some loctite to really secure the screws in place. Is that a horrible idea? Has anyone else had similar experiences and found a solution?

Thanks

gluvhand

The two issues, height adjustments screws slipping and "pulsing", are probably just coincidental. You can use Loctite or even some clear nail polish. If you go with Loctite make sure not use red or green. The "pulsing" could be your string is too close to the pickup. Or not.

JBeaver

I don’t think they’re coincidental. The pickup height isn’t a problem. After I adjust the screws it always works better with the tuner for a bit then regresses. I never put two and two together until recently when the screws seem to have gotten worse. Thanks for the reply.

gluvhand

If the screws are slipping the action is getting lower. You're adjusting the height/action moving the string away from the pickup and it corrects the problem. Can't hurt to try it. I guess I agree that it's not coincidental.

Last edited:

Rod Trussbroken

Hello. The adjustment screws on in the saddles of my stingray keep slipping, mainly the E string but sometimes the A too. Not always but sometimes. It’s very inconsistent. It’s also cussing problems (my best guess anyway) with my tuner. It looks like the note/tone is “pulsing” instead of being steady so it’s tough to dial it in accurately. This has only been on the E string. My guess is this is happening because the string is not seated properly on a loose saddle and the tuner is affected by it.

My first thought was to get it where I like it with some loctite to really secure the screws in place. Is that a horrible idea? Has anyone else had similar experiences and found a solution?

Thanks
I seem to remember a previous thread where someone was talking about using loctite but can't remember the circumstances. Be careful because it has different strengths.

Perhaps talk to Customer Service and discuss the problem you're having. They can be emailed here:
[email protected]

JBeaver

I seem to remember a previous thread where someone was talking about using loctite but can't remember the circumstances. Be careful because it has different strengths.

Perhaps talk to Customer Service and discuss the problem you're having. They can be emailed here:
[email protected]
Thanks for the reply. I heard the blue loctite was the one to go with. I did send a message to customer support but thought it’d try here first in case anyone had any special tips. And I didn’t know if it was a reoccurring thing. This is my second stingray special and it’s happened on both. The first one just a little but also on the E string. This newer one is much more prevalent with it happening.

JBeaver

Just in case anyone looks at this later… I decided to go with the blue loctite as it says it’s removeable and medium strength. The red one looks to be “permanent,” so if you’re looking to be able to remove/adjust screws later, GO WITH THE BLUE ONE.

I first did it to my E string which was the main culprit. And it performed well at my last rehearsal. But the A string collapsed during the same rehearsal. I then did the same process to the A. So far so good. I decided to go with the loctite because I felt like the wax or white glue options just didn’t seem strong enough to me. And I’d rather have to deal with adjusting/removing the screws later down the road than having to constantly have to worry about the saddles collapsing while playing, which to me is a much bigger problem.

I reached out to EBMM twice through their site and haven’t received any reply from them on this issue as of writing this. Worse comes to worst and it becomes an issue down the line, I just by some new saddles I guess.

nebadon

I reached out to EBMM twice through their site and haven’t received any reply from them on this issue as of writing this. Worse comes to worst and it becomes an issue down the line, I just by some new saddles I guess.
Yes my recent experience with EBMM Customer service was a mixed bag; After second email I got response a few days later asking me for Bass serial# and my Location; Didn't ever get helpful info[but to be transparent problem seemed unique] or any concern for awful condition Bass arrived in sealed EBMM Box

I did find my own answers and solved problem with intense vetting from Google and Local Tech because Bass was Great in all other ways and had 45 day return option. I now own Bass and mostly content.

Hopefully I have no need for EBMM CS in future:)

PeterV2

Hello, I have also experienced slipping saddle adjustment screws on my 5HH. I will consider Blue Loctite. Thank you for the tip.

Top Bottom