• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BFR

How far do we need to stretch new strings in order to play it immediately after putting it on and keep guitar in tune?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Not very far. I tune close to concert pitch then stretch, putting one hand over the neck at about 12th fret and pulling the strings with the other hand, about two inches (5 cm) off the neck. The pitch will drop, so you'll retune. Stretch again and retune, etc. until the pitch doesn't significantly change when you stretch. Three to five stretches is usually enough.

The harder you pull the less you'll have to repeat but resist the temptation to pull too hard when stretching!

BFR

So you pull the strings away from the neck (perpendicular to fingerboard), not like bending the strings during play?

TNT

Perfectly put!!

Just an added note: if you are going to gig that night, (and it will get colder out) then tune a "few cents" flat, and when you take out your guitar it will have sharpened to pitch. This is better then retuning "down to pitch"; I don't like over stretching my strings and then rolling it back. After I put on new strings I only like to "up tune" during the life of the strings.

Jack FFR1846

I've always used the string stretcher tool attached to my hand winder for changing strings. I'll start down at the bridge and move it up the string all the way to the nut and then back down. I don't know if it's any more thorough, but seems to do a better job to me.

I think that if you stretch them at all, you're doing more than 80% of players out there. I have seen guitarists tune between every song (or even in the middle of every song, then between), and wondered if anyone ever told them about lubing the nut and saddles (and string trees in some cases) and stretching strings.

Sevenstringer

I usually stretch them 2 or 3 times, re-tune and they are good to go
I will push down on the string a inch or so off of the fretboard with my thumb and put upward pressure on the string with the other four fingers
Just my .02

Steven Lambert

alright bought 4 new packs of super slinky titanium reinforced strings from some small store in Denison, TX some time around Christmas. I have been playing the guitar for 11 years, been using this brand, and started using super slinky titanium reinforced two years ago. Since i have bought these 4 packs i went through 2 packs already, and now on the third, they are breaking as soon as i start to tune and stretch them, i have only been trying to tune them up to drop C(i always do this before i tune to standard, let them stretch there for a while) but they are breaking before i even can get them to drop C, this is the first time in the two years, i don't understand, very frustrating as well. Maybe someone has a solution

DrKev

1) Welcome to the forum!

2) Contact customer service - they are the best in the business.

3) String breakage is often down to wear and tear on the guitar itself. String pressure anywhere they contact saddles or tuning posts can cause grooves or sharp edges that cause strings to break faster. Where the strings are breaking will give you a clue. On my old strat, getting rid of the grooves (needle file and fine sandpaper) was somethign I did every six months, particularly where the string passed up through the saddle from the bridge block (rather than were the string leaves the saddle at the top).

Steven Lambert

Ah thank you DrKev, glad you mentioned all that. That's one thing i have not learned, i have an ibanez destroyer dtx120, think from 2002. Will look more onto my guitar today, thanks again. And they are breaking at the top and bottom, where the bridge is and the tuning pegs, their not breaking in the middle.

I actually see a part on the bridge that i can see why my high E string would keep breaking other parts look fine, but maybe its time for a new bridge?

Last edited:

DrKev

Strings don't normally break in the middle. Next time a string breaks it'll show you exactly where to look!

Assuming you have the standard tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece, my guess is the saddles need a little work or perhaps where the strings leave the tailpiece. Watch the tail piece isn't screwed too low, which would cause a lot of downward pressure on the bridge and saddles. Check the edges of the holes on the tuning posts too. If you're not sure what you are doing, or have little experience working on guitars I'm sure you can find a nearby luthier or guitar tech to fix things up for you.

But DO contact customer service too!

Steven Lambert

im just going to replace the bridge and tail piece, the tuning nobs look fine, i know how to replace parts, just the whole working on the parts i don't, but I'll be taking my guitar with me to the shop when i go buy the parts. But thanks for all the help, its been very helpful.

Top Bottom