• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dschuey

Hi, has anyone had issues with continually breaking the 4th string on a set of Ernie Ball M Steel 10-46 strings ? Mine continually breaks at the saddle after about 3 playing hours from new ( Fender Stratocaster). I have thoroughly inspected the saddle and bridge plate and my guitars are regularly serviced and set up by Salvis Fine Guitars and Fretco here in Adelaide SA. I rehearse and gig regularly and love the tone and feel of these strings, but after going through 10 sets over the last 12 months am struggling to justify their extra cost coupled with the inconvenience of breakages mid gig. In over 40 years of playing I NEVER break strings, so I don't believe its guitar or operator error. Any thoughts ??

beej

If you're continually breaking the same string in the same place, it's probably not the strings ;)

Is it breaking at the ball end? Or further along the length of the string? It must be contacting a sharp edge somewhere along the length of the string to happen like this. You can have a small burr and not see it- so find the area where this is happening and lightly sand/file the contact points.

musicman3

Hi. I have this problem too. For 6 months I have broken 4 strings:

4th string - 2 pcs.
5th string - 1 pcs.
Sixth string - 1 pcs.

I bought 3 sets of strings.
First set 9-46
The second set for replacement 10-46 (2 sets).

In 24 years of playing guitar, I have never had a problem with 4-5-6 strings. These strings might work well for Jackson / Gibson, but on my 2006 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Ash these strings suck. I don't recommend buying these strings from Fender because they are defective. I bought the 10-46 set 2 months later from another batch, and as you can see, they are also a defective. All strings break in one place - at the bend. See the photo.

I'm just furious. And are these the most expensive strings? My rope will last longer on the guitar.

At the same time, Cobalt strings function perfectly. As well as other strings. The guitar is completely functional, and I can always install other strings. I will probably prefer Cobalt, and M-Steel is defective, defective, defective...

Attachments

• IMGP0028.jpg
    IMGP0028.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 35
  • gLJ7j.jpg
    gLJ7j.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Top Bottom