• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

Hello everybody.
This is about changing string gauges: I usually use super slinky on my guitar ( which is an Ibanez Gio, more precisely, a GRG150DXB ), but I want to move up to skinny top, heavy bottom, but I'm not sure if this guitar can handle the tension, because some say the type of guitar doesn't matter, while others don't agree. I've tried to look on different sites about this topic, but I can't find any concrete information. So if the type of guitar isn't important, what do you have to do in order for the guitar to bear the increased tension?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
When you put higher tension strings on your guitar you will need to adjust the truss rod and the tremolo springs in the back of the guitar. If you have not done this before it's easy to learn if you have the right tool but it will be faster and less frustrating to bring the guitar to a technician or luthier to do it for you. Ask at your local music stores or professional guitarists in your area to recommend someone.

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

Thank you so much, I needed someone to clarify this topic, I've been trying to get some good concrete information all over the place.
Just wondering, if this is done incorrectly, could the guitar get damaged?

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

Ok.
Just wondering, which way (clockwise or anti-clockwise) do you turn the allen wrench when adjusting the truss rod in order for the neck to bear the heavier gauge?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Tighten the truss rod to counteract the string tension. On an Ibanez, looking down the neck, with the truss rod nut facing you, turn to the right. The way to remember is a simple rhyme...

Left is Loose, Right is Tight.

Quarter turn should be plenty, may be less.

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

I'm going to leave the work to a guitar tech, I'm far too scared to go anywhere near the truss rod :p Do I need to explain anything to the tech before he starts? I'm quite new to this topic about string gauges. The thing is that there's a song I want to play for a friend (who's going to finish school this year), but the tuning of the guitar is, from top to bottom, D#,A#,F#,C#,G#,C#, so for a heavy punchy sound, is the skinny top heavy bottom gauge the best, or should it be a bit heavier?

Top Bottom