• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sleeping At Sea

I have a Dustin Kensrue Stringray which is an amazing guitar but since day 1 I've had issues with the G string and buzz. I am using the same tuning/string gauge as it came setup with and have had tried multiple setups but to no avail. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the nut. WIth the EBMM compensated nuts, can you order a replacement and have a guitar tech install and file it? This is something I'm not very familiar with.

From a setup POV I have the relief set at 0.008 and the G string height is set to 2.25mm from the 12th fret (no capo). Any lower and I get open string buzz. Frets are level!

Keen to get this sorted as I can get the action much lower on all strings except the G!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hold each string down at the 3rd fret and look at the gap between the strings and the top of the 1st fret. Ideally there should be a very small gap which should be more or less the same comparing string to string. If the G string is sitting on the 1st fret and the other strings are not, then that's your problem.

Yes, you can order the nut from Music Man, just pickup up the phone and give them a call, or call your regional distributor if outside the US. If you are still within your warranty period call the store you bought from. Note that when removing the old nut it must be pulled straight up out of the neck as there is a locator pin in the middle of the nut which sits in a corresponding hole in the its slot in the neck.

Last edited:

Sleeping At Sea

Hold each string down at the 3rd fret and look at the gap between the strings and the top of the 1st fret. Ideally there should be a very small gap which should be more or less the same comparing string to string. If the G string is sitting on the 1st fret and the other strings are not, then that's your problem.

Yes, you can order the nut from Music Man, just pickup up the phone and give them a call, or call your regional distributor if outside the US. If you are still within your warranty period call the store you bought from. Note that when removing the old nut it must be pulled straight up out of the neck as there is a locator pin in the middle of the nut which sits in a corresponding hole in the its slot in the neck.
Thanks DrKev! This was super helpful. Using this check it appears that the majority of strings are actually touching the 1st fret. Just the Low E the 5th string have slight clearance. In checking all my other guitars they all have a very slight gap at 1st. So looks like the nut was cut too low I guess.

Will get onto my AUS dealer to order a new nut in!

Thanks for your help as always!

Top Bottom