• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

twinsrock365

I have a Silhouette Special that I love to death, but,
I break strings like crazy on it. I have had a tech look at it, all good. I change strings every gig but I ushually break a D or B
string just from 1 or 2 sets of playing. Any suggestions?
I am getting so frustrated cause I have to switch back to my double fat strat and I am spoiled by my EBMM. HELP!

bing4sons

If the strings are breaking at the bridge, you can also put a little dry graphite on the bridge where it makes contact with the strings.

Bing

musikarero

Here is a suggestion that worked for me. I took the plastic cover off a wire (actually it was the lead wire of a pickup I had that wasn't working) and I slid it over the sting before I strung it to the guitar. I only used about an inch of the wire cover because it was the high E string that was breaking at the bridge and I didn't want it to be too long. It stopped the breaking but I had to replace the wire cover about every third or forth set of strings. The other idea is try swapping your saddles around. Try the low E and A string saddles because your other saddle might have a tiny rut that wouldn't necessarily break a thicker string if you put it in the low E position. One last thing....if you try the wire cove make sure it covers the string where it comes through the hole at the bottom of the bridge. It might not be the saddle that is breaking the string but rather the small hole it is fed through. I hope this helps!

jongitarz

SRV's guitar tech did the same thing Musikarero is talking about, only he used small surgical tubing of some sort.

Jon

simplesimon

You can try all the tricks you want, but if I were you I would return the guitar. Something is definately wrong with it. You should not be breaking string every 2 to 3 hours. If that is not an option, try the graphtech graphite replacement saddles.

musikarero

Well whatever it is it isn't a big problem. Not enough to take the guitar back IMO. It's just one of those very "fixable" problems that a lot of guitars have from time to time. In my experience the graphtech saddles alters your tone a little so you might consider that before you go that route.

Last edited:

simplesimon

If it is breaking every 2 to 3 hours and a tech has checked it out ok, that is a major problem. If I spend over a grand on a guitar and this problem arose, I would be looking seriously at my alternatives. I repaired guitars for many years and I have seen stuff like this. Cannot find any evident problem, but it keeps acting up. String breaking on a guitar used for performing is a SERIOUS problem. Band-aid like fixes, i.e. plastic tubing, graphite, just take care of the symptom, they do not cure the problem.
My point with the graphtech saddles, is that if the guitar is out of warranty and money is an issue, this is a cheaper alternative to fixing the problem.
Also, is this tech an actual tech? or just some guy that works in a store? This sounds like you have some metal burrs on the saddles. Alot of times it just requires some filing and then smoothing it back out. I do not suggest you do this yourself.
If this were me, I would take the guitar back to the dealer that you purchased it from. Ask that they replace the bridge, or at least the saddles.

twinsrock365

I actually made it through a gig last nite without breaking a string, although it was a short set. The string always breaks right at the saddle. My tech did some grinding on the saddles to make sure they were smooth. Someone metioned grphite saddles. I was think of doing this and while I'm at it, get piezo grphite saddles. Has anyone done this? I'm curious how this effects the tone. As far as taking it back, that's so not an option. This guitar was a magical pawn shop find. Hung on the wall still had the plastic on the pickgaurd and the factory strings. Got it for a scream and is my new favorite. I was devoted strat player, when I played the SS special, it was like"This is what a guitar is suppose to fell like, Finally!"

twinsrock365

As far as my tech goes he works on guitars the hellacasters and restored Danny Gattons tele for his widow after he passed, I'm pretty sure I've got no worries there.

simplesimon

Meant no disrespect towards the guy that does your repairs. Just askin'. Congrats on making it through the night. I put the Graphtech on a 62 reissue Strat and it takes a lot of the highs out. Which sometimes is not a bad thing. Anyhoo, the best way to describe it would be that it "takes the sparkle out".

musikarero

I think Simplesimon made my point for me. If all it takes is replacing the saddle or even the bridge, that really isn't that BIG a problem. Sometimes those quick "fixes" though save a lot of time and...well...sometimes they work too. I've done a lot of repair work over the years from saddle buffing to refret jobs and all I was suggesting was that there could be a quick solution to the problem. Also I was going under the impression it was a used guitar. My assumption was correct, but after all it was just a suggestion...:)

Last edited:

jongitarz

You know, if you need a new saddle or 2 you could have just called us...stuff like this gets so blown out of proportion on these forums, when all you had to do was call us...I dont want to sound like an a-hole, but come on! If you have a problem with your guitar be it within the warranty period or not...Call us..we are there to help.

Jon

simplesimon

It's funny, after the initial read of that reply I was a little upset because of your comment on everything getting blown out of proportion. I do not appreciate getting pigeon-holed like that. Just trying to help the guy out. I was a guitar repairman for a dealer that still to this day carries your line. I have several Ernie Ball guitars in my collection. If you read the rest of the posts, you would see that the guitar was purchased in a "pawnshop" situation. No dealer to take it to. He was seeking help and we were giving ideas. If you represent Ernie Ball, you should treat your customers with more respect. You make us sound like a bunch of old hens. I won't call names, you took care of that yourself in your post.

NorM

I needed a saddle for a '93 EBMM guitar. I called and the saddle was delivered in just a couple of days. I forgot I could do that. Thank you for the reminder.

KungFu Grip

If your problem is occuring at the saddle, the first thing I would do is call Ernie Ball and order a couple of replacement saddles. I'm doing this myself for my Albert Lee, which has some pretty rough grooves in the saddles on the high e and b strings. If that doesn't work, perhaps a bridge replacement, but I can't imagine that you would have to do that.

bovinehost

Administrator
Hello from the Bass Board.

One thing I can tell you for sure. If you have any sort of problem with an EB guitar or bass and you call the company, they will fix it for you. Suggesting that Jon is an ass is not only rude, it's just wrong.

Reading through this, it looks to me that he was simply suggesting that rather than talking the problem to death, give him a ring - he'll fix it. Amazing when you think about it, eh?

I've dealt with Jon and others at EB. You couldn't ask for a more helpful group. Does anyone here seriously question EB's commitment to customer service?

Guitars develop problems. Could be a burr on the saddle, could be the break angle, could be gremlins with sharp teeth - but it's been my experience that problems with EB instruments will be resolved - with grace and humor - from the people at the company.

Not looking to start a big flame-up here, but it comes down to this.

1. EB guitar has problem.
2. EB tech says, "Hey, don't talk it to death, send it to me, I'll fix it for you."
3. EB tech is assumed to be rude.

Read the thread again. You can't ask for a better response.

And don't try this with FMIC, which I'm sure you all know.

Now then, let's all take a deep breath - it's not like we're keyboard players, right?

Peace, you skinny-string lads.
Jack

bing4sons

bovinehost said:
Reading through this, it looks to me that he was simply suggesting that rather than talking the problem to death, give him a ring - he'll fix it. Amazing when you think about it, eh?

I've dealt with Jon and others at EB. You couldn't ask for a more helpful group. Does anyone here seriously question EB's commitment to customer service?

Agreed. I read Jon's input the same way. It's takes a good bass player to know when and how to add to the mix. :D

I've never had anything but a positive experience when calling EB.

Bing

Top Bottom