• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
EBMM Fans….I am considering a few different models of MM guitars and I have a question regarding the trem. I don’t really use a trem although I have them on a few guitars. I was watching a video on the EBMM website, can’t recall which model, and the presenter indicated the trem isn‘t floating.

It appears I can get a Valentine without the trem but I’m not yet sure which model I want.

For those guitars that have the classic trem (not the Floyd) - are they blocked or set to the body by default? I often have to switch my tuning during gigs and a floating trem is a problem for that.

Thanks

racerx

Most of the current trems will be stopped by the body - the JPs, some Floyds, and some other older/sig models will recess into the body.

The current trems can float if desired but not as much range (specifically upwards/backwards) as the noted models. Other than the Luke, I think most trems are set to be parallel with the body by default (though not a requirement). Good luck, you can't make a bad choice, they're all great guitars!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
On most MM guitars the bridge is set flat to the body at the factory, non-floating. It can be floated too if you ever want to try (by angling the bridge with a gap at the back, which is standard setup on the Luke guitars and what some of us here like to do too). The MM guitars with a floating bridge (routed under the bridge and cannot be set to the body) are the Petrucci guitars and the Jason Richardson Cutlass.

dibart77

Here's a rundown of all the standard current EBMM models. Note that some guitars were offered with different bridge options in the past, and some BFR or one-off runs might have a non-standard bridge. For example, the Silhouette used to be (in the late '90s and early '00s) offered with a floating Floyd Rose and there has since been a few special runs with floating Floyds.

FLOATING
  • Jason Richardson Cutlass -- Floating Music Man "Modern tremolo"
  • John Petrucci JP15 -- Floating Music Man "John Petrucci tremolo"
  • John PetrucciJP20th -- Floating Music Man "John Petrucci tremolo"
  • Luke III -- Comes from factory pulled forward so it's "floating" and can pull up, but you can adjust the setup so it rests flat on the body and doesn't float, Music Man "vintage tremolo"
  • Majesty -- Floating Music Man "John Petrucci tremolo"

NOT FLOATING TREM
  • Albert Lee -- Not floating Music Man "vintage tremolo"
  • Axis -- Not floating Floyd Rose
  • Axis Super Sport -- Not floating Music Man "vintage tremolo"
  • Cutlass -- Not floating Music Man "Modern tremolo"
  • Dustin Kensrue StingRay -- Not floating Music Man "Modern tremolo"
  • Kaizen -- Not floating Music Man multiscale tremolo
  • Mariposa -- Not floating Music Man "Modern tremolo"
  • Sabre -- Not floating Music Man "Modern tremolo"
  • Silhouette -- Not floating Music Man "vintage tremolo"
  • Silhouette Special -- Not floating Music Man "vintage tremolo"
  • St. Vincent -- Not floating Music Man "St. Vincent Modern tremolo"
  • StingRay RS -- Not floating Music Man "Modern tremolo"
  • Valentine Tremolo -- Not floating Music Man "Modern Classic tremolo"

HARDTAIL
  • Majesty 8 -- Hardtail fanned bridge (no trem)
  • Stephen Egerton StingRay -- Hardtail bridge (no trem) Music Man "Modern hardtail"
  • Steve Morse -- Tune-O-Matic hardtail bridge (no trem)
  • StingRay HT -- Tune-O-Matic hardtail bridge (no trem)
  • Valentine -- Hardtail bridge (no trem) Music Man "Modern hardtail"

Last edited:

dibart77

OK, DrKev, I just checked in with Tomas at EBMM. I was wrong about the Kaizen. It is NOT floating. Correcting my list above.

Last edited:

ctownsend

The most underrated feature of the trem on the Axis Super Sport and the Albert Lee is the "lip" at the end. One can hold a pick and grab this "lip" with their finger(s) for lowering the note(s), removing the need for a bar. Sure, makes it harder to do deep dives, but super useful for those (like me) who find the bar a nuisance while playing yet need the functionality. Yet another reason why EBMM is clearly the leading guitar company!

Johnny Alien

I 100% agree. I like the modern trem a lot too but given the choice I will take the vintage style because of that lip. I have used it a bunch of times to do the trem thing with no arm.

Thanks, gang…!

At this point I’m leaning towards a Valentine. I like the Albert Lee but not sure it’d be very different from my Suhr modern.

I kinda wish the Valentine was available in a plain finish instead of the very sparkly finishes, but I could live with it.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Thanks, gang…!

At this point I’m leaning towards a Valentine. I like the Albert Lee but not sure it’d be very different from my Suhr modern.

I kinda wish the Valentine was available in a plain finish instead of the very sparkly finishes, but I could live with it.
There's a used one in Buttermilk finish on Reverb right now.

There's a used one in Buttermilk finish on Reverb right now.

Yeah I saw that one - reached it to the seller three days ago and haven’t heard back. Also, no idea if that’s a fair price as I don’t know what they cost for that year

GWDavis28

Yeah I saw that one - reached it to the seller three days ago and haven’t heard back. Also, no idea if that’s a fair price as I don’t know what they cost for that year
Check the sold listing on Reverb or EvilBay to get an idea what they have been selling for used.

Good luck, Glenn |B)

Ninemile

The most underrated feature of the trem on the Axis Super Sport and the Albert Lee is the "lip" at the end. One can hold a pick and grab this "lip" with their finger(s) for lowering the note(s), removing the need for a bar. Sure, makes it harder to do deep dives, but super useful for those (like me) who find the bar a nuisance while playing yet need the functionality. Yet another reason why EBMM is clearly the leading guitar company!
Exactly! and, I do it all the time, or quite often but very subtle. If I had my choice, all three of my Sports would be a stop tail. But since none are, and I'm not going to put the trem bar in, I simply use that lip to give a little something extra when needed. It's a fantastic aspect of that bridge and I'm surprised nobody else has ripped it off. It's something that I used to watch Mikey Houser, one my favorite guitarists, do all of them time with Widespread Panic. He used to do it on his Telecaster Deluxe Plus. I've never played one so I don't know if the Deluxe Plus bridge is the same as a Strat or different. After watching Mikey do it, I used to do it on my PRS but it wasn't easy to grab a hold. Then when I got my first Axis Sport, that part of the bridge was one of the first things that jumped out at me, and I was so psyched.

In fact, you can watch Mikey do it here.

Well…still without an EBMM, but, I did get to try one out today. They had an Axis at the local GC. I really liked the tones. Really nice guitar, I’m just not sure I could adjust to the neck. It feels sort of narrow and a little cramped.

Very light guitar and good switching options. I played through one of those new Blackstar St. James amps and it really sounded good.

Top Bottom