• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Aon

Hey :) Strange cherry post for you all -

Used to play a set of .13 - .56 gauge electric guitar strings (nickel wound XL) until developed severe nickel allergy. Recently had guitars refretted (not cheap!), but found nickel issues with Pro-Steels and switched to flat wounds (Chromes). No reaction issues for those, but I don't like the sound or feel of them.

Friend recommended Ernie Ball, had a look and couldn't find any 13's. Customer service recommended mixing and matching singles from Cobalt/ M-Steel/ Stainless Steel, but I don't know much about EB strings in all honesty.

Can anyone help? .13 .17 .26w .36 .46 .56 is the exact range I used.

Thanks for reading this!

Aon

So I guess no one knows much about about those three string types then? Was hoping someone might know which were best to mix and which weren't. Seems no one does...

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
You'll just have to try 'em out and see. The wound strings from each set have their own sound and feel and tension (the plain strings are all the same; high carbon steel with a tin coating). What your ears will like to hear and what your fingers will like to feel, only you can decide.

The cobalts are slightly lower tension than you might used to, they have more bottom end and top end/harmonics. Very cool strings. M-Steel will be louder, stainless will be loud and bright.

This video might be helpful - it doesn't include the stainless steel but it does the cobalts and m-steels

Aon

That's pretty much what I was looking for, thank you. Gives me some ideas for experimenting without wasting cash. Much appreciated man :)

Top Bottom