• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sleeping At Sea

I recently bought a BKP Silo bridge humbucker to put into my Valentine and after seeing a few posts/photos of others changing their bridge pickup I had thought this would be pretty straight forward. I just dropped my guitar and pickup into my local tech and when they had a look they were scratching their head how to make this work as the MM Valentine mount does not seem to line up with the humbucker. I left it with them and they are going to call me before they begin work and have had a bit more of a look but I thought I'd just chime in here to see if I can get a more info!

Here is a photo of the same guitar that has had a Lollar Imperial put in the bridge. From what I can see, it's using the OG mount still. Looking at that pickup, it looks the same as my BKP, so how is this being mounted?

Thanks!

2222966741047582328.jpg lollar.png

Sleeping At Sea

Thanks for that! That makes sense. I guess they hadn't seen this before. I just got a call and it's all been done so once they got it out they would have seen it. They had me nervous for no reason haha.

Sleeping At Sea

I've just updated this thread title as I've just picked up my guitar with the newly installed BKP Silo HB'er in the bridge. If anyone is interested I might post some clips if you would like an idea of what this sounds like?

Sleeping At Sea

So, are you happy with the Silo? Pros/cons in the Valentine?
Really happy with the Silo actually!
Pro's - Better balanced with good articulation and bite without being too bright or shrill. It also surprisingly works really well in the middle position. I thought it might be a little muddy as it's not splitting but with the Val being a very snappy and bright guitar is sounds really good. Some very nice clean tones in this position, especially with the Neck split.
Cons - I am kind of use to the bridge pickup being a bit louder and so getting a bit of a volume bump when going to the bridge for solo's or heavier parts however I find it's matched very closely to the neck pickup output. This is not a bad thing, but something I am just getting use to. It's really smooth moving through each position.

Overall I am glad I made this move and it's got me playing the Val a LOT more. I just didn't gel with the stock pickup for my style.

Ventanaman

Really happy with the Silo actually!
Pro's - Better balanced with good articulation and bite without being too bright or shrill. It also surprisingly works really well in the middle position. I thought it might be a little muddy as it's not splitting but with the Val being a very snappy and bright guitar is sounds really good. Some very nice clean tones in this position, especially with the Neck split.
Cons - I am kind of use to the bridge pickup being a bit louder and so getting a bit of a volume bump when going to the bridge for solo's or heavier parts however I find it's matched very closely to the neck pickup output. This is not a bad thing, but something I am just getting use to. It's really smooth moving through each position.

Overall I am glad I made this move and it's got me playing the Val a LOT more. I just didn't gel with the stock pickup for my style.
Thant’s great to know. One of the things I have found with most BKP products is that I can run them closer to the strings - in some cases even going as close to 1.5mm (with strings fretted at 22). Silo in a Valentine sounds like a great combo!

Top Bottom