• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

xxhwmxx

hey. im new to the forum and i wanted to know your opinions of which bass would probably best suit me. im looking at a mm stingray, a g&l asat, and a fender american deluxe jazz. im in several bands and have been playing for a couple years now, and finally have enough money to buy a decent bass. my style is kind of trebly, punchy, fast, and melodic, i like nice warm low-end and also nice clean mids. what would be my best bet as in playability, sound, and features?. thanks alot,
Brian P.

Masamax

The Jazz offers a lot of versitility, but as a SR player I always tend to lean there. A Jazz bass will offer you an interesting sound, but I always prefered the growl that SRs offer. Jazz basses never really hit it off with me so much.

Flameboy!

I play a similar sort of sound to what you are looking to acheive and used a Fender P-Bass with a Jazz neck and a graphite Jazz for quite some time. When I finally got my MM5, I realised that sound that I had been hearing in my head was finally possible! Big punchy mids, warm bottom end that can really resonate and swell as much as you want and a bass which is balanced better than any I have ever played. If the cash allows you, then always go the MM - you wont be disappointed!

SWR_n_EB

Well, i was in that same situation, but then i chose a Sterling. My suggestion is to trey them out until you really fell one is better suiting. i personally think u should try the Sterling.

mike jewels

I haven't played any G&Ls yet, so I can't comment on them.

I've played dozens of Jazz basses (Pre-CBS, MIM, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius fretless, etc.) and they all have that basic, growly Jazz bass sound, which comes through slightly different with each model, but, you can still tell it's a Jazz.

Jazz basses are super versatile. You can get almost any tone you'd want from them, from that spitting, Jaco tone to an ALMOST Precision bass tone. They get you in the neighborhood, but, make you walk the last few blocks. :D They all have that slim Jazz bass neck (unless it's a special order) which most people like.
Jazz basses are nothing short of being a great instrument.

Now, this is why I'd recommend a Stingray or Sterling.

Stingray: A very pleasing, fat, delicious tone that can cut through anything, a neck that just feels right in your hands, (for most people) and an EQ system that couldn't be a better match for its pickup. Don't let the fact that it has only one pickup lead you to think it's a "One trick pony," as some players say. Stingrays have a naturally aggressive tone, but, if you experiment with the EQ settings, and vary where you pick/finger the strings, you can get some nice mellow tones that don't get all mushed up in the mix.

You can get a Stingray to sound close to a Jazz, but, the reverse is not true. It's the Stingray's EQ.

Sterling: A tone very similar to a Stingray's, though I think it's not quite as chunky as a Stingray's. Not better or worse, just slightly different. But, you have the 3 way switch which makes it more versatile that a Stingray. Add a slimmer neck (very similar to a Jazz neck) and you have the Stingray's slightly leaner younger brother. You can't go wrong with either one. I have a 'Ray, but, I still want a Sterling.

In the end, you really have to try all of them for yourself. Only you can decide, and only you can prevent forest fires. :D

I'd suggest trying a Stingray first to establish the Musicman tone, then try a Sterling to see which tone and neck you like better.

Good luck.

Mike

SWR_n_EB

WEll put, very well indeed, but also the Sterling has the 3 way switch, which i can't really decifer a huge differences in tone. But that's jsut me.

BTW, if you puchased a STerling, you'd be happy, so i say, Mike, if you have the money, why not take home that honey!!!!!!!!!!!!!wow... i really am a freak.

ebb soul

I agree with SWR about the switch thing, totally befuddles me. I'd try other models of G&L, as well as Lakeland. But given EBs' tonal flexability, you jes can't go wrong with any model of EB/MM.

ARES

Wow, I notice a HUGE difference with the 3way switch, it's one of the main reasons why I chose a Sterling over a Stingray! With it to the right you get that classic boingy Music Man sound, in the middle you get a nice warm tone, and to the left it's somewhere in between.

hands 5

I've yet to hear a Stingray sound like a jazz bass !However if a player is lucky enough to find a pre Ernieball Sabre ,he or she would be in luck if that is the sound that they are searching for in a MM.I still do have my 79'Sabre and it does get a great j tone(I'm still preplex on why Eb doesnt make this model because there is a DEMANDING market for this type of bass.I would proably purchase 1 if they could make it like the 79'Sabre but I wouldn't hold my breath though)The Stingray IMO lacks the neck pickup growl and the Low mids that the Fender Jazz has.but the SR/SR5 have thier own character.

Top Bottom