• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

prickly_pete

bovinehost said:
You know, Flea's a great bassist, but......

1. I wish modern bass publications could do two issues in a row without a mention of Flea on the cover.

2. I wish many more young bassists would learn to PLAY before they learn to beat their instruments. Every time I'm in a shop and some 16 year old is making some godawful racket, I want to say, "You're not Flea. Stop that. Learn more about melody." Then, in my heart, I blame Flea.

3. I hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I hated them when I first ran into them way back when in Hollywood, and I hate them now. Okay, not PERSONALLY, mind you, I'm sure they're nice people and all, but their songs do nothing for me. In fact, it's worth than that - I DETEST nearly every note from every RHCP album ever made, even if Flea is doing some cool stuff. That Anthony guy's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. They would have been a better instrumental band. Had that been the case, I might have been convinced to listen occcasionally.

4. There are so many more "modern" bassists, by which I mean electric bassists, that built the foundation upon which Flea built his particular house.

5. I fully realize that this makes me appear to be an old fart.

6. I'm old enough not to care.

There, I seldom rant, and I have done so now, and I feel better and will probably delete this in the morning.

EDIT: If you personally find Flea a personal or musical hero, that is of course okay with me. This is in no way meant to reflect on anyone who feels that way. I am just....well, tired of Flea.

I agree with this to a certain extent. I used to teach quite a bit. With my older students, I would work on harmony, scales, modes, playing over changes, etc... My younger students would get pretty board with that stuff, though. I started teaching the kids how to wank a bit with stuff like Flea, and get their attention; then I would try to teach them how to be a well rounded bass player. Flea's stuff is easy to play and fun. Its not like they are leaning to build bridges, a little wanking on the bass isn't gonna kill anyone :) I do think Flea is overrated as a bass player, but he got a lot of kids interested in the instrument.

Last edited:

Aussie Mark

I heartily recommend the youngsters rent/buy/beg/borrow/steal the DVD "The Kids Are Allright", go to the special features on Disc 2, and watch/listen to bassist John Entwistle's isolated camera/audio track. If Flea gives you wood, you'll cream your pants if you see this.

Psychicpet

Scott LaFaro on Bill Evans at the Village Vangaurd
Mingus. 'nuff said

Eric Avery - Jane's Addiction (both CDs)
Muzz Skillings - Living Colour (I think Vivid's the best but Time's Up is great too)
Nick Lowe - John Hyatt 'bring the family' !!!!!!!!!!

JB1

Bove, I have to say I'm a big Flea fan, although I've never felt the need to slap like a monkey and those teenagers you mention grate on me just as much.

I respect and accept your reasoned opinion.

Now, while I get the chance & remember.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
:) :) :)

mike not fat

bovinehost said:
You know, Flea's a great bassist, but......

I am just....well, tired of Flea.

In a way I also agree with that, because there are so many talentfull bass players that are not mentionned as often as Flea.

But like prickely pete, I think that Flea did alot (maybe unintentionnally) to make people listen to what bassists play. The success of RHCP made many bands want to play there songs, and as bass has a big place in them, Flea's lines became influencial for many of us who were happy to play something everyone could easilly recognize. Some of his lines are also great, so that he is often mentionned by everyone as a major influence.

Of course, playing only RHCP songs will never be enough.

Listen to every kind of music and pay attention to what every musician (not only the bassist) plays. It will be the best way to have other influences than the common one, and to develop your one sound and style.

MNF

Samingo

Ryan Martini, Duncan Coutes(sp?) and Tony Kanal are huge on my influence list, countless reggae/R&B/rock/disco bassists from the seventies, BNL's bassist. I'll be honest, when I first picked up a bass mosty of what I listened to was heavy metal, and yet I never played the stuff aside from Mudvayne. I didn't start listening to RHCP untill much after I started playing bass so although I enjoy their lines, they had no part in my wanting to play really.

r goldsmith

Influence and all that

I like Flea's playing a lot, and I'm an old geezer. I also think Anthony has a good voice, so that will probably put me in the minority here!

In any event, Flea's popularity should be seen in the context of his place as a member of a popular band, and not just some relatively unknown muso that other bass players cite as their inspiration.

For me, the biggest influences are those that speak to the wider public, and not just to other musicians. So Jamerson fits the bill, as does Babbit, Macca, Joe Osborne, Carol Kaye, Flea. I think these types of players appeal to the musician as well as the regular music fan in me.

But someone has to stop those music shop wankfests where all you can hear is the snapping and banging of strings and little else. Flea never sounded like that to me!!

prickly_pete

r goldsmith said:
But someone has to stop those music shop wankfests where all you can hear is the snapping and banging of strings and little else. Flea never sounded like that to me!!

I honestly don't understand why everyone is so upset by this. These are mostly kids trying to play like their hero. Again, its not like they are learing to operate on brains. Who cares what they play. Do you really believe THEY would sound better trying to play like Chuck Rainy or James Jamerson? :)

Moondog

Cake / Bnl

Never thought of as influential in my playing but have seen both bassists perform live & up-close and both are extremely talented. BNL bassist on double bass is impressive & equally so on his Ken Smith. I saw Cake a couple weeks back & this guy was real good. I don't think he is the original bassist but he played the old lines very well and had some cool stuff of his own - played a white F*nder Pre.

My influences in somewhat chronological order = G. Simmons, Sting, G. Lee, J. Taylor, D. Wimbash, M. Freeman, A. Rourke, and yes . . . Flea.

MingusBASS

Trust me, I would be much happier to hear some kid playing something like What's Going On then some wanna be mudvayne lick. When I go into a guitar store I shouldn't have to deal with some no talent punk playing too loud. I can see if you are looking to purchase an amp and want to test drive it but most of those kids have no intention of purchasing. They are the reason half of the basses at the local guitar center look like crap. I don't go into a retail place and treat something like it's mine until I buy it.

Andrew

Mobay45

Although I didn't start playing intil 1981, the bass players that had the most influence on me were probably Chuch Rainey, Pete Cetera (on the early Chicago recordings), Mel Schacher (Grand Funk), John Paul Jones and probably Bill Wyman. I found that their's were some of the first bass lines that I tried to play when I began playing bass.

stevethebass

Suprised players like John Entwhistle of the Who not getting a mention, Flea is a hero fo rthis bass generation I guess but there are many better players than he who are not in such high profile bands or are session players.

For me the best must be Pastorious who was supernatural on the old fretless

spectorbassguy

Yeah Larry - Peter Cetera. He had some great grooves on the early Chicago stuff before they got all synthed up. One of my personal favs = "I'm a Man" from their first album. And who can forget that unmistakable line from "25 or 6 to 4".

Also - I used to love playing along with "America's Greatest Hits".

Actually the song that really got me interested in playing bass was "Slow Ride" by Foghat. They ROCKED. :D

I also liked some of Led Zep's unusual time signatures. (Let's see some of these young bucks try to figure out the alternating 7/8 and 4/4 in "The Ocean" - Ha!)

Rush 2112 influenced me to buy a black Rick 4001. Loved the overtone harmonics but ultimately sold it to get my wife an engagement ring. :p

More recent influences include our very own "PsychicPet" from whom I have copped more than a couple bass lines (from the Brian Doerksen "Today" CD & DVD). :D

And I'm always trying to figure out exactly how those black gospel bass players slap how they do: Keith Taylor (with Kirk Franklin), Terrance Palmer (with Israel Houghton & New Breed), and Robert Randolph's bass player.

Oh yeah and for fretless: Pino Palladino as on Paul Young CD's.

Last edited:

spectorbassguy

Mobay45 said:
You know Spec, one of these days you need to get in that Hummer of yours and make your way to Texas so that I cna buy you dinner. I think we would have a lot to talk about. :cool:

I do believe you are correct, sir! :cool:

Psychicpet

spectorbassguy said:
Actually the song that really got me interested in playing bass was "Slow Ride" by Foghat. They ROCKED. :D

We used to put my friend's dad's copy of Foghat on after practices in High School hehehee

I also liked some of Led Zep's unusual time signatures. (Let's see some of these young bucks try to figure out the alternating 7/8 and 4/4 in "The Ocean" - Ha!)

Easy now, I know a few of my students who are much younger than me are into the 'building blocks' of Rock bass too

More recent influences include our very own "PsychicPet" from whom I have copped more than a couple bass lines (from the Brian Doerksen "Today" CD & DVD). :D

too kind....

And I'm always trying to figure out exactly how those black gospel bass players slap how they do: Keith Taylor (with Kirk Franklin), Terrance Palmer (with Israel Houghton & New Breed), and Robert Randolph's bass player.
Nuts!! I just saw CeCe(i think) on Leno and sure 'nuff there was some stanky good Smith bass action goin' on
;) :eek:

prickly_pete

MingusBASS said:
Trust me, I would be much happier to hear some kid playing something like What's Going On then some wanna be mudvayne lick. When I go into a guitar store I shouldn't have to deal with some no talent punk playing too loud. I can see if you are looking to purchase an amp and want to test drive it but most of those kids have no intention of purchasing. They are the reason half of the basses at the local guitar center look like crap. I don't go into a retail place and treat something like it's mine until I buy it.

Andrew

Blame this on the stores for not controlling the kids who come in.

stevethebass

Spector you are bang on about Pino Palladino the first Paul young album has some great stuff on it - pretty sure its a fretless musicman!? He also did some good stuff on Nick Heywards first solo album particularly 'whistle down the wind'

Anybody know much of the fretless playing of Mick Karn of Japan 78-82 his playing is very very good and he claims he cannot read music at all, all by ear! Look out for the albums - Gentlemen take polaroids and Tin Drum by Japan and the solo work Dalis Car

cgworkman

Someone that really influenced my playing that never really gets a lot of credit on these boards is Sting. His playing is extremely solid and his lines are top notch IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom