• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Hein

I can't believe only 1 person has mentioned Andy Rourke! He's my favourite bassist ever.....so underrated!

(opinion)

FireAarro

jongitarz said:
My wife and I drove to L.A. yesterday to celebrate Christmas with my family, and took a car we don't usually drive. Forgot to bring cd's and the only station we could get on the radio for most of the drive was doing a Beatles marathon. I had forgotten just how good Sir Paul plays the bass. (and guitar! check out the solo on Taxman) :eek:

Yes! Paul is a legend :cool:

Franky

this is just my opinion, but i really dont consider sir paul an influential bass player. simply because all of the lines he ever did are too easy, there is no challenge in them. some of fleas older lines or wootens lines, when you finally get it right and you can stand back and take some credit with what you've done, it feels good. pauls lines can be played by anybody with 1 finger on each hand

spectorbassguy

Franky said:
this is just my opinion, but i really dont consider sir paul an influential bass player. simply because all of the lines he ever did are too easy, there is no challenge in them. some of fleas older lines or wootens lines, when you finally get it right and you can stand back and take some credit with what you've done, it feels good. pauls lines can be played by anybody with 1 finger on each hand
Ouch! I think there's a LOT to be learned from Paul. My fav is Abbey Road. Not too many bassists that "fit" their band as well as Paul. :cool:

Rod Trussbroken

>>>>this is just my opinion, but i really dont consider sir paul an influential bass player. simply because all of the lines he ever did are too easy, there is no challenge in them. some of fleas older lines or wootens lines, when you finally get it right and you can stand back and take some credit with what you've done, it feels good. pauls lines can be played by anybody with 1 finger on each hand

Listen very closely....listen to his timing....it's the way it's played. IMO, he's a master ;)

Perhaps off the subject, but I believe he also has a Sterling....which passed through Jons hands :cool:

bovinehost

Administrator
this is just my opinion, but i really dont consider sir paul an influential bass player.

Or the Beatles an influential band?

It's all context, although out of the four Beatles, I'd say Paul was technically a much better musician than the others. I mean, the guy played bass (and so much more) in a band that changed the world.

Morrow

McCartney was a huge influence on almost anyone who was playing bass at that time.He made many changes in how one perceived the instrument.......I think most great lines can be played with one finger....I think it's better to serve the song than to have a busy bassplayer .I don't try to dazzel anyone with my speed or dexterity for the sake of playing a "difficult" part.I grew out of trying to come up with clever parts a long time ago.I make the space between the changes....and only fill when it will set something up.I listen to everything and how the whole works.Note selection is only one part of playing. I listen to everything....

spectorbassguy

Psychicpet said:
what!? road trip without The Blessed Misfits blaring!?!?!?!?! :p

:cool:
Hey Pete. Guess what I listened to on the way to church this morning? Yep the Misfits! Love "The Turn Around"! :D :cool: "Hallelujah I done got saved!"

huber

besides flea, the most influential bassists for me ahve been jaco of course, wooten, and Les Claypool. I also think Ben Kinney of Incubus is a damn good bassist, although he doesn't quite "inspire" me

Rhythmbug

Bassplyr said:
Cover as many styles as possible.....except rap. No rap!

seeing hiphop was spawned from a fusion of varying musical styles like funk, jazz, rhythm & blues, soul....wouldnt u think its a particularly happening genre for grooving & in-the-pocket basslines? :rolleyes: doug wimbish is a shining example of how effective creative bassplaying can be in hiphop.
sure theres plenty of hiphop artists out there that dont utilise much melody or creativity on their basslines, but then there is plenty that do, especially more uptempo or foundation based artists.

hiphop can be a groove & funk players paradise, you just need to know how to approach it.

I play with a DJ doing classic breaks & funky hiphop....it works like bread & butter :)

Franky

bovinehost said:
Or the Beatles an influential band?

It's all context, although out of the four Beatles, I'd say Paul was technically a much better musician than the others. I mean, the guy played bass (and so much more) in a band that changed the world.

When it somes down to it, he really wasnt that much of a "bass god".

1. He is an amazing songwiter, most likely the best songwiter of all time.

The most prominant reason that sir paul is known isnt because of his skills as a musician, but rather because he (along with the beatles) took music to the next level, he along with the beatles changed the face of music. does that make him an influencial player? I say...meh.

was he a great bass player? No, he was good, but not great.

But this whole thread is a matter of opinion.

Psychicpet

spectorbassguy said:
Hey Pete. Guess what I listened to on the way to church this morning? Yep the Misfits! Love "The Turn Around"! :D :cool: "Hallelujah I done got saved!"
:D
I love that CD, mostly for the picture of my Dad and the dancing girls but also the vibe and fun.... :p :D

Bassplyr

barkatozz said:
I'd say I'm most influenced by Bob Daisley, Geezer Butler, Dave Hope(Kansas), & Geddy Lee w/ a little Steve Harris & Cliff Burton thrown in.

Those are great influences! I like them all myself.

bovinehost

Administrator
How about Bob Nyswonger?

How about Colin Moulding?

Huh? How about THEM? Nobody ever mentions THEM!

the where are my meds
JW

FireAarro

Franky said:
When it somes down to it, he really wasnt that much of a "bass god".

1. He is an amazing songwiter, most likely the best songwiter of all time.

The most prominant reason that sir paul is known isnt because of his skills as a musician, but rather because he (along with the beatles) took music to the next level, he along with the beatles changed the face of music. does that make him an influencial player? I say...meh.

was he a great bass player? No, he was good, but not great.

But this whole thread is a matter of opinion.

I believe he's up there as a bassist. His lines may not have been exceedingly techincal, but were musically very sound. He always fit in and never overplayed, and IMO he was a master of melodic playing. His basslines always served the music very well. I agree with spectorbassguy, Abbey Road is a fine example of his playing.

If he helped changed the face of music, doesn't that make him an influential player by definition?

Last edited:
Top Bottom