• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Morrow

Tim Drummond is a player that did so many different gigs and always nailed it (anyone who can jump from James Brown to Neil Young has gotta be versatile). David Hood from the Muscles Shoals studios, George porter JR from the Meters and all those New Orleans recordings,loved Willie Dixon ( he and Larry Taylor /Hollywood Fats band got me into upright),Joe Osborn,Carol,Keith Ferguson,Jamerson, and Sklar all come to mind.Locally a guy called Fish was an inspiration to play less and groove more.Fish is still at it and still a monster on the bass.Sometimes I sub for him.

phatduckk

ya ... i dont even know. im pretty ignorant regarding the "good" bassists of the world. Ive been playing for about 12 years and had no idea who folks like Marcus Miller, Jaco, Geddy Lee etc were untill a few months ago ... Still havent listened to them either.

The reason I started playing bass tho was cuz I heard Anesthesia by Cliff Burton, a bass solo track on Metallica's first album. I'm mainly influenced by a whole lot of punk bassists - many of whom get little notice in "who's a great bassist" discussions or get looked down upon 'cause they use a pick.

I guess "who influenced you" is different question than "who's do you think is super good".

As far as Flea goes ... eh, I agree with everything everyone here has said - both positive and negative.

phatduckk

Mobay45 said:
That is one hell of a great bass solo, isn't it!

hell ya ... Anesthesia was the first "song" I ever learned how to play. It was my mission in life :) I got a Kill 'em All tab book a week after I got my first bass and every day after school I'd take on one part at a time until I had it.

huber

prickly_pete said:
IMHO, the RHCPs best stuff is off the first couple of albums -- the stuff nobody listens to (and before Anthony decided to try to sing). Thay had that hit with under the bridge, and have been trying to recreate it ever since. BH is right, Anthony is the worst singer to maybe to ever get famous -- he should stick with rapping :) Again, IMHO :)
Freaky Styley rocks, and has some of the best basslines flea's ever done

Bassplyr

I agree with the general concensus here about Flea. I think he brought bass to the forefront and made it somewhat cool to play in the eyes of the general music population.
I like alot of RHCP stuff, but don't ask me to slap and pop bacause I am way too white for that....and maybe too lazy to figure it out. One of the guys said he liked Tony Kanal from No Doubt and I agree he is really talented, not only a slapper but plays alot of different styles.
One player that I've never seen mentioned here is Guy Pratt from Pink Floyd. This guy can do it all. He is a true talent. Checkout anything thing you can get your hands on from him.

There are so many influential bassists. Tell the young bassist just getting started to listen to as many different styles of music and bassists as he can. Cover as many styles as possible.....except rap. No rap!

stretch80

Early on: Tom Hamilton, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney...

A little later: Chris Squire, Stanley Clarke, Chuck Rainey, Kenny Gradney, Graham Maby (Joe Jackson's bassist)

Later still: James Jamerson, Pino Palladino, Ron Carter, Ray Brown...

Right now I'm especially digging Juan Nelson of Ben Harper's band. He is funky without losing the fundamental groove.

The kids I know now who are starting into bass all seem to start with Nirvana songs...there are some killer simple bass lines there...

Doogels

Nice to see props to James Jamerson and Chuck Rainey, but let's not forget Donald "Duck" Dunn. Also Charles Mingus.

If you're going to point out Guy Pratt, then why not point out the guy who wrote those bass lines and played on the first album, our very own Tony Levin. T-Lev hasn't been mentioned yet??? (Has Guy Pratt played on any album other than the 2nd post-Waters album?)

hankSRay

Although I'm not proud of it I have to admit that I wanted to play bass after seein Fieldy from Korn. Then I "matured' and got into flea, and now Id have to say my playing style is most influenced by Geezer Butler and Jason Newstead.

midopa

I, too, am one of those whippersnappers who came to play bass because of folks like Fieldy and Flea. I still like their stuff, but nowadays I'm not really listening to anyone to learn but myself. Sounds a bit odd, I know.

tkarter

My influences were Carol Kaye, Jamerson and Chuck Rainey.

All other good bass players impress me, but change little about the style I have developed from listening to the above mentioned.

Now to get as good or atleast half as good as any one of them.

tk

jongitarz

My wife and I drove to L.A. yesterday to celebrate Christmas with my family, and took a car we don't usually drive. Forgot to bring cd's and the only station we could get on the radio for most of the drive was doing a Beatles marathon. I had forgotten just how good Sir Paul plays the bass. (and guitar! check out the solo on Taxman) :eek:

Top Bottom