• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

the unrepentant

yeah, but i did bodge some of it together and used an OLP neck and passive OLP electronics, not to mention the nice guy from a forum that did me a great deal on the body and stuff :)

five7

I have worked on many projects like this. As long as it is for fun, okay. But what do you end up with? I just traded for a active sub 5 in new condition and I have $300 in it. You have already spent more than that for what. A drilled up piece of wood with an olp neck on it. A decent neck would have been nice. Anyway as long as you are having fun that's what counts.

Duarte

As long as it sounds good, and it LOOKS like it should.

Any updates man? Any active preamps installed or chrome things fitted?

the unrepentant

I have worked on many projects like this. As long as it is for fun, okay. But what do you end up with? I just traded for a active sub 5 in new condition and I have $300 in it. You have already spent more than that for what. A drilled up piece of wood with an olp neck on it. A decent neck would have been nice. Anyway as long as you are having fun that's what counts.
Not to sound sound condescending, but yes i know £200 is more than $300 going by today's exchange rate, but ****, if i could buy even a used SUB for £180 (roughly $300), i'd be chuffed as a dog with two cocks.

I paid £350 for my (unmodified) SUB, and trust me, if this didn't seem financially viable, i wouldn't have done it. A drilled up piece of wood with an OLP neck on it? Trust me mate, don't be so quick to judge until you've played it, it plays about the same as my EBMM, it sounds awesome, and it's not just a ****ing plank. Sorry, but by saying that, you seem a little ignorant, having never played it, it's a great bass, and i'll provide some sound clips very soon. Again, i didn't mean to offend, i'm just a little bit not sober right now, and that was a VERY out there statement to make.

And zak, i will have a pleasant surprise for you all after new year (once i've spent all my beer money :p)

Last edited:

five7

Keep drinking. Maybe it will look better when you are drunk. Probably sound better too.

five7

I apologize for being honest. S ometimes you have to get good and drunk and nail an ugly broad or I mean bass to appreciate life better. S ometimes that ugly broad turns out to be the best piece of ass ever. I do apologize and hope your frankenbroad plays and sounds better than all of mine put together. Cheers!

mynan

I apologize for being honest. S ometimes you have to get good and drunk and nail an ugly broad or I mean bass to appreciate life better. S ometimes that ugly broad turns out to be the best piece of ass ever. I do apologize and hope your frankenbroad plays and sounds better than all of mine put together. Cheers!

So talking about a guy's bass is comparable to talking about his lady?:rolleyes:

Beth

yeah let's keep it clean, guys. This place is frequented by those under the age of 18 too.

Thanks!

Grand Wazoo

yeah let's keep it clean, guys. This place is frequented by those under the age of 18 too.

Thanks!

Exactly Beth, just like you and me :D

~~~~~

@The Unrepentant = same language mate but scarily HUGE humour barrier, don't bother getting the 'ump mate. it's not worth it.

Hutton

Irrespective of what the bass sounds or looks like the amount of knowledge gained in putting together a bass is invaluable. Enjoy your bass man and remain 'unrepentant'!:)

the unrepentant

So there haven't been any updates on this for a while, and they've been a long time coming. So a while ago (it was before christmas i believe, getting on for a year ago), a very nice person, who wished to remain anonymous sent me a musicman bongo preamp and knobs for free, and a big thankyou to that person. :) You know who you are. Anyway i just had to get round to fitting it, as it required some *ahem*, modifications...

Anyway, on a spur of the moment kind of thing i decided to get cracking on it. I stripped the whole thing down yesterday (i had ripped the controls out some time ago and crudely made a big hole where the control plate had been right through the body.) I then got the router out today and neatened that hole up a bit, and set to drawing out a template for the hole for the rest of the electronical gubbins, batteries etc. I then routed out the hole. Not massive news but it's certainly a start.

Anyway, here are some photos, they're a bit shaky/crap qualty as i had to use my phone because i left my 'proper' camera at my mum's house due to the aforementioned spur-of-the-moment-ness:

The preamp and knobs:
DSC00348.jpg

The hole through the body after neatening up a bit, for those of you that are a bit eagle-eyed, i had a bit of an accident with a chisel... so if it didn't need a refin before (it did), it definitely will now:
DSC00344.jpg

About to cut out the router template:
DSC00345.jpg

Routing done, not the neatest routing ever but it was my first time, and i'm pretty pleased :) it's certainly workable:
DSC00346.jpg

Now i need to get the right router bit to cut out the little step for the cover, i have some PVA which should hopefully be enough for a front/back plate. I also need a new jack socket and possibly a few pickup screws depending if i want to run two pickups or one, not decided yet. Might go for two as i will need a new pickguard otherwise.

More updates soon with any luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom