• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

the unrepentant

thanks guys :D i'm pretty excited to get it done! I do enjoy these little projects though

I don't see this as hacking up an EBMM bass, i see it as mixing together two lovely basses :) cant wait

Last edited:

Duarte

That is insane man, I'm really interested in how this is going to turn out. Where the hell did you score a Bongo preamp from!? That's what I would like to know.

As Jack said, beautiful. You could not have landed a more perfect deal there!

Yeah I'm officially impressed and excited, but would DEFINITELY get a status neck for it!

the unrepentant

That is insane man, I'm really interested in how this is going to turn out. Where the hell did you score a Bongo preamp from!? That's what I would like to know.

As Jack said, beautiful. You could not have landed a more perfect deal there!

Yeah I'm officially impressed and excited, but would DEFINITELY get a status neck for it!
Sorry man, i got it from a friend who wished to remain anonymous.

and thanks :) i would like a status neck, funds permitting of course.

Murphy

Wow, very interesting read.
I am looking forward to seeing the future progress of your bass.
Thanks for sharing.

danny-79

This is a good thread, its been an interesting read i love stuff like this, It looks like you have put a lot of time, care, an effort into this project, fair play to you! and good luck!
Regards, Dan.

the unrepentant

I know I've not bothered with this in a while, the bass has been at my parents house while I've been at university for the last couple of years and I've never been home long enough to really look at getting it sorted. Now I'm home for the summer though and don't have a job this year, so I needed something to fill some time, so I made some actual progress today! The other day I took the Basslines pickup out to have a look at how it was wired as the available info on the internet is less than helpful, and noticed it was a bit ropey, so I re-soldered all of the joints there so it was a bit nicer and not falling apart any more, no photos of that though.

I spent a good while trying to figure out how the pre and the pickups were actually wired, as all of the info on the seymour duncan site/everywhere else explained how to wire the pickup to a stingray preamp/some other preamp etc, the bongo preamp is pretty weird and is only really specific to MM pickups, so I had to get my head around a stock MM pickup and how to wire it all, it's probably not as complicated as it sounds, but the way it's all laid out was pretty confusing.

Anyway, today I managed to get it all wired up. I've done a couple of tests and the pickups have output, the preamp has output, and I think it's working as it should, but I don't have a working amp here, so I may have to wait to test it out properly. I still need to sort the hardware out and get it all bolted together again, and perhaps sort out the control cavity, as it's a little cramped with two batteries in there, but it's coming together. I may look at refinishing it at some point as well, it's a little tatty at the moment.

Here's where I'm up to anyway:

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

I understand that this project isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea, and some people may not like it, but this stuff was otherwise homeless and hopefully will continue to be played and enjoyed once I've got it sorted again :)

Top Bottom