• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

koogie2k

Personally, I was never a big VH fan. I was forced into learning some of their tunes by my instructor. I give the man credit for his abilities and what he has done for the guitar movement.....just was never a big fan. As for learning some of his tunes....man, I have improved in my playing that is for sure.

With that said, dwf got me into listening to some of their stuff much to his insistance (and possibly banning me for my blasphemy! ;) ) and I have really warmed up to them. Better late than never I guess. I still practice my VH stuff daily and I continue to look into more and more tunes of theirs to play.....great stuff to learn.

But, their new songs are not to my liking. Just my opinion. I would say, they had better come up with some better tunes than those three. I think once the tour is over, the "real" writing will begin or have been done while on tour and a much better selection of tunes will be put out.....I certainly hope so. I think those were "feeler" songs to see if the magic was still there. Not only that, it lets the fans see that they are together and a new album is possible.

So, not being a big fan of theirs, I am intersted in hearing some new material. I do have a live recordiing of the first concert and it is pretty good. I can see why you all are excited about them. The energy was certainly there and I would go see them, as long as the reviews are better than the first couple. Not bad for someone who was not a fan whatsoever.....dwf would be proud! ;)

dwf1004

Koogs, glad that that I could conv...I mean, assist you. Also, I'm glad that I don't have to ban you. ;)

As far as the 3 songs: I'm not calling them masterpieces, as I've said before as well. They were more than likely rushed out at the label's insistence so that they could get it out on the air, on the BOBW CD and to pretty much let the public know that the group was back in action, quash the rumors, etc. -- it's still Van Halen.

Up for Breakfast...a good little jam, VH style. It's About Time...good music, cheese lyrics. Learning to See, and this is where EVH and I differ, I actually like that song. I think it's the best out of the 3. You can tell just by listening to the lyrics and the music that this is the one that had the most time spent on it. But it's just "filler" until they get back in and do a REAL album.

Koogs my young conv...er, new fellow VH fan (LOL!), go back and read my review here in this thread, circa 8/5-8/6 (not sure when I posted it, if the date flipped over from the actual show date of the 5th, etc.). That pretty much sums up how every show has been since July (minus the St. Louis show, etc.). As I mentioned to EVH, break ya off some vhlinks.com as well, and read some of the more recent reviews as well...and maybe norm and I will see ya in Tucson? :)

koogie2k

dwf.....I am glad I get to stay on the island!! ;) I wish I could get out there to go see VH with ya...being you did get me to at least listen to them. I agree, the tunes are filler comparing to earlier work. I also agree that they were released for all the reasons you and I stated. Hey, that is business. It has certainly peaked interest in the world and that is not a bad thing. I believe that they have gotten better as the shows went along. No problemo, that is what should happen. I only said it was sad some people got a less than desirable performance. Which to me means, they should have tightened up prior to heading out on the road. The people who paid their money deserved a good show. But, such is life. I have seen a few shows in my time that would get my vote for "lousiest show of the year" award and vowed to this day not to see these bands ever again. Well, I haven't. But, again, that is my choice. I would see VH irregardless at this point. Just so I can say I at least seen them in concert. I am sure the shows have been great and would like to be a part of it. Maybe, I'll get lucky and get to see them sometime. BTW, thanks for the conv.......assistance!! hehehhe ;)

Hookpunch

What is going on with the band anyway - I heard that Ed and Sam had another falling out and are just going to finish the tour. Anyone else heard this?

Too bad if true ,I was looking forward to a CD of totally new stuff in about a year or so.

dwf1004

...stop bragging. :p

Enjoy the show, bro...and remember the name of this thread. I expect a review from you afterwards; don't make me come up there. :p

26 days for me (again!)...enjoy, brotha! :)

pack-rat

ok just got back

the best seats i could get were right on Eddie's side. I could see 1/2 the video screen cuz of the frame around the screen.

Other than that it was good cuz we could see backstage so I know where Ed keeps his smokes now.

It was good to see him backstage playing when not on stage. (the guitar ringing through the building but no-one on stage at the beging of the show but he was looking up and laughing at our side)

It was a really good show.

They seemed relaxed and having fun (wife mentioned that)

i saw them twice before and ed's solos weren't as long as tonights solo was.
was disapointed with Mike's solo and alex's was typical. Mike should do something better.

Eddie played a nice green quilt wolfie first, and the second guitar i could't quite make out (couldn't see the screen) it had fender head but couldn't make out name or see the p/u's - it had the traditional evh paint job.
Third guitar he had for the rest of the night was tobacco sunburst wolfie.
Every time he turned on his wah during the solo the click would echo through the colesum - Not too iritating though.

Sammy solo'd where eagles fly (had a fake palm tree on the stage) and solo'd 55 without the band and did a pretty good job.

Got to talk to the stage mixer before the show just had to walk down the stairs in my row.

One thing i noticed ( i don't go to too many shows) there was alot of interaction with Sammy and the audience and he signed alot of stuff during the show instead of acrobatics and wore alot of the clothes that were thrown on stage (except the bras) and then signed them and threw them back.
I guess Sammy is too old now to be swinging off the scafolding like he used to
but he did walk up to the platform for "top of the world".

Another guy in the ring broght his guitar but Ed didn't sign it. I don't blame him.

Awesome show in Vancouver and hope that the rest of the tour is just as good or better !

Next time I want to be in the ring on Eddie's side !!!

Last edited:

koogie2k

Question....I have not been to a VH show, what is this ring? A place for fans to sit during the show on stage? Ala.....the Sammy and Dave Show Tour?

Why wouldn't Eddie sign the guitar....could you tell from where you were at? Maybe it was a EBMM Axis...hehehehehehe

The other "***der" head guitar with traditional Eddie paint...could have been one of those new EVH Charvels. He is playing them and signing them for auctions and what not. Maybe this was one for him to use on the tour to promote it. Just a thought.

Glad to see you enjoyed the show. :cool:

dwf1004

The guitar that you "couldn't quite make out" -- I'm assuming -- would probably be one of the EVH Art Series that would be sold off after autographed, dated, etc. 'twas one of the striped sort, correct?

Mentioning the F*nder head (no F words in plain sight here, son :p) would lead me to believe that this is the geetar that you speak of.

Thanks for the update...at least it's sounding promising for our boy EVH and myself later on...

pack-rat

dwf1004 said:
The guitar that you "couldn't quite make out" -- I'm assuming -- would probably be one of the EVH Art Series that would be sold off after autographed, dated, etc. 'twas one of the striped sort, correct?

Mentioning the F*nder head (no F words in plain sight here, son :p) would lead me to believe that this is the geetar that you speak of.

Thanks for the update...at least it's sounding promising for our boy EVH and myself later on...

After looking up charvel I would say that is what it was. (sry haven't been following the guitar biz)

I am not sure but a guitar that has EVH signiture would add value to the guitar if it was sold say a previous 1500 guitar could fetch 500 more for having evh sign it

the stage is the VH logo. http://www.van-halen.com/

http://www.ticketmaster.com/vanhalenauctions

It wraps around leaving two parts for fans to watch the show in (gold left and gold right.) you can bid for tickets for these seats.

i was sitting right accross from the right.

Last edited:

Eddie Van Halen

Some local band Rose Hill Drive opened, and they ****in sucked, took them 30 mins to play 3 songs, they drug things on way to hard. But then i was sitting there and all the lights turn out and nothing happens then out of nowhere Sammy screams "Helloooooo Baaaaby!!" and then Eddie came in with his guitar. Now i know people have been saying that his playing has been bad but I don't know what they were thinking, he hit all his notes perfectly and I have 2 live DVDs at home but this blew them both away. They all look really good for their age and their playing is still sopt on. Musically it was a ****in awesome concert. They opened with Jump and went through the set list, Michael Anthony and Alexs solos were awesome and what you'd expect, Sammy played Eagles Fly and Cant drive 55 (with the crowd singin along!) and then Eddie...my god Eddie...this guys ****ing amazing...haha he went up to the mic hes like "well im just gonna **** around on the guitar for 15 minutes and bear with me..." so he started out with some cool muted progressions then moved on to some insane tapping and eruption, he even toyed with us by playing the intro to hot for teacher but we got no more that that...They played all the good songs, Aint Talkin bout love, Poundcake (where eddie had to switch guitars because his went out of tune) When its love (they closed with that one) Jump, Runaround, Panama (hahaha they got some fat guy in the crowd to sing the "its gettin a little but hot tonight" part and he didnt know the words it was soo ****in hillarious) and the stage was amazing too...the lighting, the video effects...haha during right now the tape was like "Right now...the NY Yankees are playing golf, which got a huge ovation. And after Eddie's solo we all chanted "Eddie, Eddie!!" and he went up to the mic and told us how much he loved us...I dunno what went wrong at the other shows but i gotta say this was the best ****ing live show ive ever seen amazing music amazing stage...oh man it was awesome 5150/10 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom