• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sub1 Zero

Some of these were what you would call "nice' guitars too. I have a thing for tele's, but damn... it just isn't worth it.

HeatherAnnePeel

Anyway, the next guitar I buy (hopefully later this year), will definitely be an EBMM Axis, thanks to my OLPs providing me with a nice introduction. I have used Ernie Ball strings (Regular Slinkys) since 1980 and I have an awesome 1984 Music Man HD150 212 amp in my collection, so I am definitely a longtime fan of EBMM.

ba2m

I think OLP was a good idea.
As we know that ebmm doesn't cover the low price market with their guitars, and OLP was the most suitable solution for those costumer level.

In my opinion, from my experience, OLP was not the competitor of ebmm musicman, and even OLP brought people to the real ebmm.. and it has been proved that OLP owners who afford to buy ebmm still buy an ebmm at the end rather than go on with their OLPs (no matter what they've said about how good their OLP's are).

When i bought my OLP luke (before i purchased my ebmm luke) .. i was directly thinking that finally i played the most comfortable guitar ever made.. and i (and everybody) knew that OLP was trying to copy ebmm musicman.. that why i sold some of my previous guitar and bought an ebmm musicman for me.

The quality
From what i experienced, the sound and the neck of the OLP was the best than any other guitar in it's price range (300-400 $ for a new one), it's even better than my other us made guitars. Those china made pickups on OLP luke were really close in modelling the emg's sounds, the quality is good. Tough the neck is different from ebmm musicman, but it still has the comfort .. really close with the comfort of those ebmm musicman's mystical necks. The other good thing with OLP was it's very nice paint quality, well.. at least they looks very nice.

I agree with hbucker, the OLP needs more set up after we purchase it. The bad think with olp was they made the guitar soo carelessly. and i think they had a very bad quality control in their factory. Imagine you find a new guitar in the store with a tremolo stuck cannot move because the tremolo cavity in the body was routed incorrectly. And you find some frets don't sound on a new guitar.. i think that's just over.. I still bought it because it's comfortableness, and i knew that i really need to set up the guitar immediately after i purchased it.

But i still think OLP is a good idea since it helps people find musicman (well at least me and Heather Anne Peel are two of them), and it also lets low price level custumer to have an opportunity to play a "musicman kind of feel" guitar.

I found a video of france guy reviewing OLP luke and musicman luke.. tough i don't understand france at all.. but the video is still very clear in reviewing both guitar.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDDNUgrGpv0"]YouTube - OLP Luke vs MusicMan Luke - Episode 1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20sznNvmaqI"]YouTube - OLP Luke vs MusicMan Luke - Episode 2[/ame]

HeatherAnnePeel

The EBMM/OLP deal definitely made owning a Music Man-style guitar a reality for a lot of people, and was an excellent introduction for experienced players, such as myself, who were curious. I am definitely getting an Axis, a direct result of my experience with my MM1s. My Ampeg Dan Armstrong Plexi guitars will always be my faves, but the Axis is a great instrument. John Fogerty even plays one!

SubMariner61

I would definitely agree that OLP MM guitars are the best value in the $500 or less category.

I would argree with that declaration if you lowered the price to under $300 but have you ever played the Yamaha Pacifica series (under $500 models) or a Cort Hiram Bullock signature guitar? Both are very well made instruments that I would put above the MM1 in quality. I've owned several MM1's over the years but I wouldn't take one over the HB sig at all. Also, you can buy a Peavey HP Signature guitar for under $500 that will eat an MM1 for breakfast.

The MM1's were a fantastic deal for $200 but honestly, when you compare them to $500 Korean guitars such as the PRS SE, they come up short in the quality control area. I've never been able to purchase one (I've had many) that didn't require a least a fair amount of work to really be practical outside of the bedroom. All other factors are much too personal for me to disagree with (sound, feel, etc) but it definitely redefined what was possible for two bills. On a final note, the stock humbuckers in those guitars are killer if you love metal. ;)

Last edited:

HeatherAnnePeel

Well, of all my guitars that were less than $500 (including Fenders, Squiers and Epiphones), I enjoy my OLP MM1s the most. The others are great, but there's just something about the MM1 that is so cool. It may not be an Axis, but it is definitely in that vein, and compares favorably with some guitars that cost 3 to 4 times as much. I am also not a brand-name snob, I really don't care too much anout that. The only person I am trying to impress is myself.

hbucker

The PRS SE may be the best guitar at that price range that I've ever played. They are scary nice! I don't get goo caught up in what price range OLP's really compete. Would say that generally they are an amazing value for the price I've seen them selling for in stores though.

HeatherAnnePeel

And since they received approval from and were licensed by Ernie Ball/Music Man, I would consider them to be a part of the EBMM family of instruments in that sense.

Tim O'Sullivan

The PRS SE may be the best guitar at that price range that I've ever played. They are scary nice! I don't get goo caught up in what price range OLP's really compete. Would say that generally they are an amazing value for the price I've seen them selling for in stores though.

I would agree there! From the ones I have played, they are superb.

jim1h

And since they received approval from and were licensed by Ernie Ball/Music Man, I would consider them to be a part of the EBMM family of instruments in that sense.

have you played an ernie ball musicman yet, so you can compare. You are ranting with every post, I get it you think they are great guitars the best thing since the real thing jeeez!!

Sorry everyone but HELLO!!

SubMariner61

Instruments, despite coffee table finishes and exotic woods, will always be "tools" and thus, some jobs (or desires, if you will) require a specific tool or warrant a particular feel. There is no doubt in my mind that when played behind a curtain, an OLP in the hands of EVH would fool a considerable amount of people. Nobody in their right mind is going to parallel the quality of the two instruments (OLP/Axis) but tonal nuance is often lost when playing thru high-gain rigs and that's why I feel for a lot of folks, the MM1's are more than acceptable (with a bit of work) for these kind of gigs where those pickups shine. They can hang with the originals in that regard despite the photo finishes and cheap hardware. Nobody likes their $1500 guitars compared to a $200 jobber (remember how infuriated many PRS owners were when the orignal SE series debuted...hell, these fanboys STILL have problems with Paul's EG models for Pete's sake) but I suppose the OLP's WOULDN'T have been anywhere near as successful had they NOT successfully chased the VIBE of the Axis'.

FWIW, I actually prefer the neck profile on the OLP's over the Axis....which brings me back to the "tool" analogy again. For certain types of songs, I prefer 'em over guitars costing 5x as much. lol Go figure. It's a shame they're leaving us. I've always considered them to be the "snot nosed little brother" to the EBMM family. lol

Last edited:

HeatherAnnePeel

I actually just played my Trans Red OLP through my '84 Music Man HD 150 212 combo amp with a relatively clean setting. The OLP sounds fantastic. Exactly like an Axis, no, but a great sound and playing experience, neverheless.

Last edited:

aussiejoe

I have an OLP (modified with Breed pickups and Wilkinson bridge) and recently got an Axis Super Sport based on my experience with the OLP.

I like both guitars a lot. The OLP did need some mods but even in stock form I feel its a good to great guitar for the money. The operative term here is "for the money". Is the OLP better than the Axis, no way, but it does hold its own amongst other price competitive company. In Australia OLP guitars sell in the range of $350 to $450 for a Axis copy. The original sells for $3500 or thereabouts. Thats a big jump in price which frankly is not reflected in the quality of the 2 guitars (the original is not 10 times better, its a alot better but not to justify 10 times the price). My ASS was bought used off Ebay and Im very happy with it. Im now selling my LP copy and Strat as the OLP and ASS get all my attention.

If I was contemplating another guitar purchase it would be either a OLP (to mod it) or another used EBMM

Just my 2cents

HeatherAnnePeel

I've only had my OLP MM1s for less than a month, and I can't put them down! They definitely compare favorably with my Fender Strats and Teles. I almost bought a Silhouette in 1991 before I bought my '70 Ampeg Dan Armstrong (which, along with my 2006 Ampeg Dan Armstrong, are my fave guitars) and I played an Axis several years ago. Presently, I do not have an EBMM guitar, but I plan on getting an Axis. I will definitely always enjoy my OLPs, however. There is something very compelling about them.

mcclassic

I purchased a second hand but in new condition OLP in purple quilt for my daugther, the guitar resonates and plays great, when I play it sometimes is almost as hard to put down as the EBMM that I have.

I comment to my daugther that this guitar is a million miles from my original Hondo II that I had when I start learning to play electric.... around 26 years ago... feels a little cheap but still way better guitar than my first one. I would have love to have one of these when I start playing...

Astrofreq

Aussiejoe, I agree with your sentiments. One of my students has an OLP she bought off another student of mine for $99. It plays and sounds absolutely fantastic. Really unbelievable. Obviously I prefer my ASS, but does it play/sound 10x better than the OLP? Not in this case.

Now, I'm not downplaying the ASS, I love them, but I'm just saying her OLP kills all my other students strats/gibsons. KILLS it and for $99 bucks.

Last edited:

Butch Snyder

I have an OLP Axis copy. I let my Father-in-Law have it to do some mods for me. He's taking to top finish off and blocking the trem cavity. I have a Telecaster bridge assembly I'm going to install as well as an Axis Sport pickguard cut for two single coils. It's going to be really killer when I'm done...

SubMariner61

I think one of the plus' for the OLP's were how they encourage younger players to "learn" about their guitars. The tinkering that seems to come naturally upon ownership can never be seen as a bad thing. Learning to play guitar is as much about the guitar itself as it is the chords and scales.

Top Bottom