• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sub1 Zero

The SUB is a monster... get it. :cool:

I also agree with pretty much everything you said, to a T.

Ripper

Save the money, get the real thing. Nothing beats playing a real crap and withstand that crap at close proximity..:D Solely my own opinion folks!

sahlomonic

I bought an OLP MM1FR a couple years ago for $200. I went to MF's clearance center here in KC and they had one that was returned. $80 off for a guitar that had nothing wrong with it! Now the FR MM1's have a real flamed maple cap, unlike the other MM1's with the photofinish. Yes, the licensed trem was not the greatest, mostly due to the posts, but the trem itself wasn't that bad. I've upgraded pretty much everything I could to parts the EBMMs have - most notably Schaller locking minis w/pearloid tuner knobs and a Gotoh Floyd. Pickups were decent but decided to upgrade to Rockfield Mafias. Was a great guitar to begin with, now its a killer axe! When I first got it I did have the chance to play it along with the real deal Axis, and tone-wise they are strikingly similar, almost identical. Axis was a better feel, though, naturally. For the money, the OLP's cannot be beat, especially if you throw a couple hundred in upgrades like I have.

muzikman

I had this OLP LUKE recently that I bought through local buy-and-sell website. First, I'm just thinking of a spare guitar since I have the REAL Luke. The previous owner changed the pickups to EMG Lukather set and it took my attention. When the guitar reached me, I felt disapponted. The neck profile is totally different. OLP has harder V necks than MMs. I felt very uncomfortable playing it contrary to the REAL ones.

Honestly speaking, OLPs are good guitars for starters but for those who owns the MMs, surely you will never like it.

Don't get fooled by the looks. SAVE MONEY AND BUY THE REAL MUSICMAN!

CHIAO!!!!!

Twilight Zodiac

If Ernie Ball gets money from the licensing than I think its good to look at it in a positive manner. That means that the company gets more money to keep up their level of professionalism and quality. The way that the company operates, meaning having everything in the US etc, I think that they would need as much money to continue to keep their way of running the business going.
What I don't like is the way the music stores advertise and set up the guitars. By set up I mean by putting them next to the real deal or marketing them in a way that is misleading to honest guitarists, especially beginners.
As long as they continue to follow the rules and regulations that EB has established for them to be licensed, I'll swallow my pride and trust in the company's decision.

D.K.

First, in no way do I want to intimidate anyone with my oppinion, especially people who can't afford real MuMans, or don't want to do have more expensive guitars. I'm not a top-manager with loads of spare money myself, so I don't want to put anyone down.

Sorry to be so direct and straightforward, but for me the non-modified OLPs (and non- modified squires and cheap epiphones much more so) are just a piece of junk. I had a cheapo epiphone and a squire myself, and had many of my guitar students buy those things, so I do know how an OLP axis and an OLP Pet sound. Nowhere near a decent guitar, that can be used a lot, and deffinitely in another galaxy with the EBMMs. Just think of how many people get turned off the guitar playing, because their instruments go out of tune every 2 minutes, have dead spots and necks that are often unsuitable to playing with anything else but a hammer.

Just think of it this way - You spend 350 Euro (or bucks) to buy a new OLP to find out if You want to play electric guitar a bit (otherwise, chances are high You would not buy such a guitar and would go for something more professional instead). Now, if You have found guitar playing to be cool, and want to play more, You'd soon have to buy a better one, since You'll find out the mechanical an tonal limitations of an OLP pretty fast, therefore You'd have to try to sell the OLP and get like 200-220 Euro for it at the highest. (If You don't want to play on, You'd have to sell this one for sure, loosing a lot of money)

Or You have to modify it heavily. I've done that with a friend of mine, he had new PUs, new tremolo and new tuners installed in his OLP Pet - and that guitar started to sound pretty cool after the mods!!! However, it's price was around 750 Euro by the time we've done all the changes - and then You still have the original wood and craftmanship, which You can not change.

Now, on the other You can find a used silo in decent condition for 800 or even less. Yeah, that's twice the money, but that's 10 times the guitar. And, if You happen to change You mind and quit playing, You can always sell it for the same money, provided You take care of Your guitar. But most surely You'll want to keep it, because those simple things you play sound so good!

So, for myself and all the people I know the only advice is "buy a good guitar". I would have never started to really improve and play for hours a day, if I had not sold my epiphone and bought a beat up 1979 strat. And if I would have known about EBMM then, I'd be a much better player now.

thegreenman555

well, I just got hold of an OLP MM32 5 string, nicely set up & I have to say 'ok its not the real thing (I dont have that budget @ the moment) but it's a darn fine move in the right direction! Double MM p/ups, 5-way switch, Korean made (not chinese), the neck is sweet & smooth & the action just right.

So while I save up for the real thing, it'll do me! ;)

MusicManJP6

there's a olp luke on the bay right now that has me tempted... good thread by the way!

my next guitar will most likely be a black sub1 with diamond plate guard and actives!

Shadowbox

Good thread so far. My .02:

In order to stay competitive in the business of selling guitars, licensing appears to be necessary. I'll admit that I've turned my nose up at the OLPs in the past.

However, in the world of the large-chain music retailers, HPHT guitars are a large part of the business (HPHT=high profit, high turnover. The profit margin on the cheapies is larger, and the sell a whole lot more of those than the the high-end boutique guitars). If doing things like licensing designs to OLP helps EBMM stay in business, then more power to them. It will be interesting to see what happens to a company like PRS; the SE models sell like crazy.

Do you think EBMM could manufacture a SUB guitar/amp package that could compete with those horrible Epi/F****r packages?

hbucker

Good thread so far. My .02:
It will be interesting to see what happens to a company like PRS; the SE models sell like crazy.

The PRS SE models are really great. Probably the best guitars in that price range that I've ever played.

The catch with a lot of these imports is that quality is starting to go way up compared to what it once was...

73h Nils

I, (supposedly) own the prototype for the OLP JP model, which is matte-black with no gloss, so it's just straight up dark in appearance. I put a D-Sonic in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck, lowered the bridge all the way so it's pretty much clamped to the body, widened the nut to accomodate 12s, tuned it to C, and it's pretty freaking awesome sounding through both my amps, a Mesa and a Line 6 Spider II 15. Maybe because mine is the prototype, it's of higher quality? Eventually, if I get enough money for some more JP6es, I'll replace it with a real one for the same tuning. The neck is actually very good and comfortable.

My only issue, aside from the fail stock pickups, is my 11th fret is dented ever so slightly on the low E, so from fret 10-11, it's the same note...Good thing I don't need that specific fret too often....except in Honor Thy Father :(

rayg1952

I just bought a olp mm1 from my local pawn shop for $150.00 I like it a lot, it’s a very easy guitar to play do to the short maple scale neck, I even have a Gibson Les Paul Double cutaway studio model and I’m always struggling to play it, the olp well definitely be my main guitar. Right now is in the repair shop for upgrading don’t want to spend a whole lot of money on that.

Here’s what I’m doing to it.

I’m locking down the tremolo because I don’t like them and a bone nut.

I wanted to put some Gibson factory pick-ups that I had laying around in it but that didn’t work out , I’m installing a Seymour Duncan PA-TB3B Blues Saraceno Trembucker in the bridge position and putting the stock pick-up that’s was on the bridge to the neck.

I’m replacing the volume potentiometer with a better one and I’m putting in a tone potentiometer and with some nice metal knobs.

I’m post some picture of the guitar.

Last edited:

lenny

OLP is now out o bizneth....so maybe they'll have a collector value! i guess orange county chopper guitars didnt sell as well as they thought hahahaha

hbucker

The OLP's have a 25.5 scale length. The guitar itself is shorter than the average guitar. But the scale is not.

OLPlayer

I bought an OLP MM1 some years ago (Mrs OLPlayer calls it "donkey coloured") and absolutely loved it. I had always been a Fender player before that and then realised there was more to life than that.

The fact that I had an OLP and enjoyed playing it led Mrs OLPlayer to buy me an EBMM Axis SS for my birthday last year and I haven't been happier since.

Thanks to Spud Murphy for helping with the purchase.

It just proves that one thing can lead to another :D

Obbie

I think OLP basses are great! I bought a 4 string back in '00 or '01 and it still works like the day I bought it. I bought a 5 string a few years back but only played it once or twice. I'm not a fan of 5 strings I found out..lol

I'm actually gonna put the 5 on eBay here soon. One question I was wondering was is now that OLP has retired, does that make their product worth more?

thanks,
Robbie

paranoid70

I don't think the fact that OLP no longer is licensed to make EBMM guitars will make their old product worth any more. If you enjoy the guitars play them, but I certainly doubt they will be a collector's item.

Sub1 Zero

^ I agree. If something causes demand for them to rise, the prices will increase. However, I don't see it happening.

Top Bottom