• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hbucker

Ironically enough, the MM1 neck is much closer in feel to the Wolfgang neck than it is the Axis/EVH neck. Go figure...

Sub1 Zero

I have an OLP Axis copy. I let my Father-in-Law have it to do some mods for me. He's taking to top finish off and blocking the trem cavity. I have a Telecaster bridge assembly I'm going to install as well as an Axis Sport pickguard cut for two single coils. It's going to be really killer when I'm done...

That's going to rule.

HeatherAnnePeel

As to the tinkering aspect inherent with the OLP MM1, I agree. It does lend itself to that more than an actual Axis. I plan on installing Floyds on my MM1s, and perhaps chrome toggle switches, in place of the existing ones. I bet Ed would modify the heck out of an MM1. It would be an ideal candidate for the red, black and white striped finish, that's for sure!!!

sim

Hi All

It's been a long time since I posted. The demands of life......

I own an EBMM Axis SS, An OPL Axis copy with a floyd(copy) and an Epiphone Gibson Les Paul. The Axis SS is an absolute mile ahead of these other two guitars in balance, feel and sound. It's pretty much the only thing I play now. Having said that, I installed a couple of Tom Anderson pup's into the OLP, gave it a good setup and I gotta say it's a pretty decent instrument and alot of fun to play. The Epiphone was pretty much the same price. It's a nicely finished guitar but is a bit muddy sounding. My least favorite git.

I really notice the difference if I plug in the OLP & Epiphone after playing the EBMM. I usually go straight back to the MM.

I guess the short answer is that all three are TOTALLY different instruments, totally, but if I only had a few hundred $'s to spend I'd go the OLP. Once you've played the real thing tho, there's no turning back :)

hbucker

Not to disagree with anything you said Sim, I would just add that replacing the pickups in the Epiphone would greatly transform the tone in that guitar too.

However, I would much prefer the stock pickups in the OLP over the stock pickups in the Epiphone.

SubMariner61

I don't know who "designed" the pickups in the MM1's or the Sub1's, but whomever did it deserves a thumbs up because together, they are probably the finest stock humbuckers of any -$1K guitar I've ever played, especially the neck 'bucker in the Sub1.

ba2m

However, I would much prefer the stock pickups in the OLP over the stock pickups in the Epiphone.
Especially that stock pick ups in the OLP luke..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20sznNvmaqI"]YouTube - OLP Luke vs MusicMan Luke - Episode 2[/ame]

Sub1 Zero

I don't know who "designed" the pickups in the MM1's or the Sub1's, but whomever did it deserves a thumbs up because together, they are probably the finest stock humbuckers of any -$1K guitar I've ever played, especially the neck 'bucker in the Sub1.

Those SUB pickups are absolutely perfect. I'm trying to snag a set of them without a guitar attached :p

BetaCAM

I used to own an MM1 with vintage trem that I modified to install a wilkison vs100 trem on it because the vintage trem was so bad it was impossible to tune the guitar and maintain it. The wilkinson gave new life to the guitar soundwise as well, it just sounded 100 times better

The pickups on the MM1 sounded really well to my opinion, though a bit too sweet and not gritty or having any balls... nothing compared to my Axis SS pickups which Rock the boat!

But now that I have the Axis SS, the OLP is miles behind the Musicman without a doubt, I sold the OLP though... it wasn't bad but not great either, for the money, I suppose it's a good return...

pjc812

I played in a band a couple of years ago and my main axe was of course my JP6 (didn't have the JP7 yet).

Well anyway, we finished setting up and went to hang out at the band table with our mates and I looked up on stage and saw that remarkably familiar 4+2 headstock in the hands of another band's guitar player and about fell over. It was the first time I'd seen another band at any of our venues use an EB. It looked like a candy red Silo.

I got closer and saw it was an OLP. I wasn't disappointed that the guy didn't have an EB actually, it made me feel more special since I not only had the real thing but one a couple tiers up, IMO.

Actually, the guys in my band were a little older anyway than most of the other bands. I remember moving my JP6, Krank and Keely effects out of the way so guys could move up their Epiphones, DOD effects and Line 6 Spider amps. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, it just made me feel old.

mb99zz

I like the fact that there are inexpensive guitars for beginners. The first new guitar I bought was an Epiphone Sheraton back in 1990. I still own that guitar and I'll never get rid of it.

So, the fact that a youngster could get their hands on a decent guitar for very little money is great. I wish more teenagers played music - all kinds of music. It's like cars....every 16 year old should have to learn to drive on a beater :cool:

Having said that, I love the idea of buying American made instruments. That wasn't an option for me when I was younger. Now that I'm older and have the financial ability to buy a hand made American instrument, I don't think I'd purchase another foreign guitar. That's not a knock on Asian companies. I think many of those brands make outstanding instruments. I just get a tremendous amount of pride buying a guitar made by the hands of American workers like the good folks at EBMM.

HeatherAnnePeel

One question I have is what is the process for making the quilt film top on the OLP? They may not look exactly like an Axis' top (especially up close), but they do look really good.

pjc812

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not real quilted maple. It's "photo flame", or a screen print of a quilted maple top.

aussiejoe

My understanding is that the MM1 had a photoflame (fake) top and the MM1F (Floyd) had a "real" maple veneer top.

sim

Not to disagree with anything you said Sim, I would just add that replacing the pickups in the Epiphone would greatly transform the tone in that guitar too.

Actually I'd have to agree with you there. I wish I'd put the TA's in the Epiphone and for fun still might do that. I can still get hold of the original OLP pup's. I'll let you know how it goes if\when I get round to it. The Epiphone does sound a little....cheap.

Charvelguy

Hello, I was surfing about today looking for info on OLP and was referred to this fine forum. My opinion of these guitars is they are a shape/name approximation of the real thing. Corners have been cut, costs have been shaved but they still resemble in looks to take the name and shape of the real deal.

I've been a player for a long long time, I own a good deal of guitars and have owned alot of quality instruments but I also am somewhat taken by the appeal of copies.

Soooo.. MF had these OLP Petrucci 'players kit/combo' models on sale for 249.
I got 20% off on a coupon and I took a risk. I've often been intruqued by the OLP MM1's but never really wanted to pay more than 100.00 or 125.00 for one in almost new condition.
I'm not real fond of the idea of MIC guitars, but I feel they are fast becoming the Japan of the new century in the way of copies much as one could say Japan was during the sixites and early 70's, maybe even later.

My impression of the OLP Petrucci, initally, is, I loved the gig bag/case but I also wanted to return it. (still have the option) Oh, its a looker but you always tell a cheapo copy by the neck, how its shaped and the wood. The volute thickness and shape and how the strings go over the nut into the tuners is often a giveaway.
However, in giving the guitar a fair chance.. I took an exception and decided to set it up and tune it in to my needs as best I could.

Observing the finish: This is one of the red/black burst flake based type MM finishes. The paint is done quite well. It looks like a base of black and red oversprayed to give the burst. There are really no perceivable flaws. It actually reminds me a lot of some Heartfield bursts than came on the EX series.
You do see a small hint of run in the side of the pickup routes.

Observable Issues:
The recessed trem route has one of the studs on the bass side ever so slightly off..it could be the route itself is slightly off. Its enough to push into the side of the route which also effected the finish just a hair. I could return it simply based upon this and a few other minor cosmetic things
P1010168.jpg

Moving on, there's a slight amount of over spray/glue on the neck. It almost seems more like glue. You can feel a slight spotting of residual in a couple places as you run your hand along the neck. I believe this was from the install of the fret markers. They seemed to have a slight issue with one or two of the dot markers on the fretboard in a couple places. Nothing major, just superficial scratches. The fretboard is arid dry, the wood has alot of micro dust embedded in it. It just needs a good clean/conditioning.
A light sanding of steel wool or emery cloth will take off the residual clear on the necks backside.

The neck 'appears' centered. (this was a big factor) There also seems a slight issue here. Probably also relative the slight off on the bridge mount, but overall nothing major. The bass side seems to be off, but the clearance to the edge of the fretboard is acceptable on both bass n treble sides. Note the truss rod nut is very similar to the one on Washburn Nuno N4's and MM's
P1010169.jpg

Basic Setup:
The action took down to a reasonable height, but I pretty much had to go as low as the studs would go into the sleeve on the bass side and almost bottomed out on the treble as well. Intonation was ok, slightly sharp overall-seems easily adjustable. The bridge seems to hold tune ok and is adjustable.
Guitar has good sustain, the pickups sound really quite good! Slight amount of wax residual can be seen on the bobbins from potting. These sound as least as good if not better than the ones in my Schecter C1EX which are duncan designed from Korea.

In Conclusion:
Now the guitar doesn't play badly at all. I spent quite a bit of time breaking it in and my fingertips were blackened from the dirty fretboard/strings when I got about an hour or two into it. The fretwork is done well - a tad bit rough but no sharp edges on the bevel.
I've had far worse and more dead spots (there are none so far on this) from Fernandes or other manufacturers from Korea on models which listed over a grand. I recently played a Samick Radio Ten (Saraceno model) on a pawn shop trip and while it was not setup ideally, I could tell it was an awful guitar likely with some warpage issues. I hope the woods and longevity of this would be far greater than that, it certainly seems as such. Overall, not bad, playability is quite good, trem seems to take some use, the guitar holds tune pretty well and its sounds fine.
I think I may have to shim the neck up just a hair to give action a little more flexibility in height adjustment.

Last edited:

HeatherAnnePeel

Very in-depth review. The level of manufacturing quality is definitely a big difference between the OLP guitars and their Music Man equivalents. I expected that, as I have many Epis and Squiers in my collection, and that is definitely the main point of distinction (though not always) between them and their Gibson and Fender counterparts. However, Chinese manufacturing quality is definitely always improving, and I agree they are in a very similar position to where Japan was say 30 years ago, in terms of that. There are little manufacturing flaws with my OLPs, however, nothing major. It seems to be more of a precision issue, little things that could/should have been better. But overall, I am very pleased with these instruments, especially given their cost. I will definitely expect my eventual Music Man Axis to be near perfect, if not totally perfect, give it's price. I have played EBMM guitars, and they all seemed excellent, but I have never owned or analyzed one for the details of their manufacture. It will be interesting to see how things stack up in a comparative sense.

Charvelguy

I agree, the cost difference is likely in the materials and manufacturing. I think I've only found one birdseye neck on a Squire, which was probably a fluke. Alot of people, kids and adults alike probably wouldn't get introduced to MM type products if it were not for OLP but I can also appreciate why MM might not want to have a lower end product line of their models.
There are plenty of the opinion that it brings the name down but really, it also gets the name MM name more exposure as well as the individual models.

Why I have never bought an Axis is beyond me, probably because I have been to busy buying lower priced axes like this OLP. (hence, is possibly why MM seperated from OLP)

Well before the Wolfgangs came into existance.. I played a MM Axis SS in GC through a dual recto..this was probably later 90's or 2000. I do recall I absolutely loving the playability of that guitar.
I could sit and jam for hours, no fatique and the tone through the recto really was inspiring..for me at least. Why did I not buy it? Well, I think they were asking like 1500-1700 for it maybe it was more like 1300, I don't exactly recall..but it was expensive, for me at least at that time.

Over the years I had come very close to owning a Silo or a Axis. You could pick these up on eBay for well under a grand. Silos were going in the hood of 450-500 sometimes less and I shopped them alot but I never won an auction.

Then MM changed the trems, I think when Eddie stopped using them..soo, floyd models did not pop up eBay as often.

I will eventually own a Silo, and a Axis, maybe even a Petrucci one of these days, lord knows I have enough Ibanez's, Jacksons and Charvels to sell to help pay for one.
I really liked the Ibanez Petrrucci when it came out as well, talk about balanced and comfy to play. It was rumored Ibanez had alot of neck problems and returns, so i never took the plunge and then JP switched over to MM, still have yet to play one.

Anyways, I could get a little more in depth about the OLP since I have been delving into it more over the past couple days. The trem isn't real stable for me yet but I have to try a few setups and spring configs to see if it will hold better. Its probably the nut, and a little graphite may help alot.

In setting this up and giving it a spin, I also recorded a little demo ditty for ya all, hope you find it pleasing to the ear. It only lasts a minute of your life!

Pet Project — RiffWorld

Jack FFR1846

Just another comment on the OLP's vs what their competition would be.

I've been looking a LOT at guitars in stores lately. Both new and used. What I'm seeing a lot is a lot of really, really, REALLY bad Fender Squier stuff. Tuners on a Squier Bullet (the lowest of the low) that literally would not stay in tune to complete a song (or sometimes just a rif....without even bending strings)....others...Squier standards where my first check when I take one off the wall is to look down the neck. OMG.....some of these look like the old wodden roller coasters. There ain't no way that this will even play right. Visible twists, high strings and still horrible fret buzz.

I see a bit better quality with Epi/Gibson copies. Some of the low end Deans just simply play like crap.

Where I have found good playing, straight necks, really nice playable guitars so far have been OLP and Godin. If you know someone about to spend $200 on a Squier, have them find a Godin dealer. I own an Exit 22 and played a new ($250 new!) Godin Detour. Great quality, great playing. 2 p'ups instead of the HSS on my Exit 22. Same maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, body is silver maple center and poplar wings. Painted with single volume, single tone, switch. Very simple. I'm also waiting for a used OLP MM to be transferred to our local Daddy's Junky Music for consideration. Meanwhile, a real MM Sub1 HH just showed up on CL and I'm inquiring about it.

jack
hardrockerav11bu.gif

Top Bottom