• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Karl

Hello Peeps.....I am looking to buy a five string active Bass but cannot decide on whether to opt for a Bongo or a Stingray or a Fender Jazz Elite. I am swaying towards the Bongo HH in stealth black so I just wondered what you thought about the three basses that I have mentioned and how they compare.
Also is anyone else having trouble changing the guitar colours on the official website as it would be handy to be able to see the real difference between the black and the stealth.

Thanks.

steevo

Hello Peeps.....I am looking to buy a five string active Bass but cannot decide on whether to opt for a Bongo or a Stingray or a Fender Jazz Elite. I am swaying towards the Bongo HH in stealth black so I just wondered what you thought about the three basses that I have mentioned and how they compare.
Also is anyone else having trouble changing the guitar colours on the official website as it would be handy to be able to see the real difference between the black and the stealth.

Thanks.

I can highly recommend the sterling 5 HH bass. Very versatile and a different animal to the stingray, I love mine.

6b29ca0de3db1516af4209c384a5ee2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl

I can highly recommend the sterling 5 HH bass. Very versatile and a different animal to the stingray, I love mine.

6b29ca0de3db1516af4209c384a5ee2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a beautiful looking Bass steevo I wonder if there is any real tonal differences between the Sterling and the Stingray ? I know that the Sterling is cheaper and I have read many good reveiws from Sterling users online . I am in a bit of a quandry now as i do prefer the teardrop pickguard on the Sterling compared to the one that is on the Stingray.Would I be right in saying that all Stingray 5 string 3 band basses do not come with the traditional teardrop pickguard? and if that is the case then I may go for the Sterling instead. I know that it is just a visual thing but when you fork out for new you want the look to be right.

Karl

The pre amp on a Bongo is just so powerful and you can dial in so many cool sounds. If you can, I would definitely try to find one to try out before you make your decision.

Thanks for that.....You would think that living in London there would be plenty of oppurtunities to try any Bass and I have tried but the 5 string Bongo seems
to be hard to get hold of and can only be pre ordered which means a 4- 6 month wait for them to be shipped from the USA. That is just crazy in my opinion!!!!!

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
I have owned all of the aforementioned basses with the exception of the Fender, and since you're soliciting opinions, I'll weigh in with mine. My Bongo basses have been the most usable, comfortable, and adaptable instruments I have ever played. I was an early adopter of the Bongo and have never regretted it. I still have the first one I bought from Musician's Friend in 2003, a Blue Pearl 4HH. It and a Sapphire Black 5HH are my main players. While I don't think you can really go wrong with either a Stingray 5HH or Sterling 5HH (or any Music Man bass really,) the Bongo's friendly, in-between neck shape and powerful preamp give it the edge in my estimation. Cheers!

Thornton Davis

While I don't think you can really go wrong with either a Stingray 5HH or Sterling 5HH (or any Music Man bass really,) the Bongo's friendly, in-between neck shape and powerful preamp give it the edge in my estimation. Cheers!

+1 on the above statement. :)

TD

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
The lower body contour is also super comfortable to play for extended periods.

Karl

I have owned all of the aforementioned basses with the exception of the Fender, and since you're soliciting opinions, I'll weigh in with mine. My Bongo basses have been the most usable, comfortable, and adaptable instruments I have ever played. I was an early adopter of the Bongo and have never regretted it. I still have the first one I bought from Musician's Friend in 2003, a Blue Pearl 4HH. It and a Sapphire Black 5HH are my main players. While I don't think you can really go wrong with either a Stingray 5HH or Sterling 5HH (or any Music Man bass really,) the Bongo's friendly, in-between neck shape and powerful preamp give it the edge in my estimation. Cheers!

Thanks for the reply!.......I have done a lot of review research on the internet and like all reviews a percentage like and a percentage dislike so nothing is gained. What I have noticed what several reviewers have said is that the Bongo is uncomfortable to play when sitting down and it doesn't cut through the mix when recording.Seeing as I will only be using it sat down at home for recording those two points are important to me.

Karl

Yes that is a fair point!.......There is no way way to determine whether they are lieing or telling the truth and that is why I have posted on this forum because I know that owners here will give a true opinion.

Golem

ok how many that are posting an opinion of the
bongo have even played it or owned it?

Me-me-me !!! Had three but one has gone astray.
The fretted Desert Gold HH5 is known locally as
the "Infamous Orange Boingo", but is somewhat
neglected in favor of the fretless Boingo 1Hp4. It
kinda gets to be "Diva's Choice" regardless of any
preference I might have.

You can't go wrong with a Boingo ! A lotta peeps
think it looks kinda weird ... incl yerz truly, but I
don't see that when I'm behind it, which acoarst
is the best place to be :)

Golem

........... I wonder if there is any real tonal differences
between the Sterling and the Stingray ? I know that the
Sterling is cheaper and I have read many good reviews
from Sterling users online . .........

Do not confuse Sterlings with Sterlings ! BP isn't gonna
dig my criticism, but who the hell OKed that name game
that gives ALMOST the same name to offshore products
as was already in use for certain current SLO models ?
Your own remark about the price difference documents
the reality of the ensuing confusion. You are not alone.

Plainly esplained ....

There's the SLO California Sterlings, simply a variant of,
or an evolution of, the StingRay. These are EBMM basses.

Then there's another company called SBMM, or "Sterling
By MusicMan". Notice that it's not SBEBMM ? "EB" is not
absent just to save space in the acronym. SBMM is NOT
EB nor EBMM.

Still aboard ? OK. At EBMM, "Sterling" is a MODEL name,
or a series name. The EBMM Sterlings are made at SLO,
California, USA.

However at SBMM, "Sterling" is a COMPANY name. There
is NO series of basses, nor model of bass, named Sterling
in the SBMM line.

Anywho, there is not just the two Sterlings, but also a
third Sterling in the mix, but he is not an electric bass :)
And he seems to have an unfathomable fondness for the
name "Sterling". Quite the puzzle, that ...

It doesn't end there ... cuz of the "S.U.B." model name
fiasco ... but thaz a story for another day.

`

Last edited:

JayDawg

I have owned and played several Bongo's and Stingrays. I can't comment on the Fenders. With the Bongos or SR5's, you can't go wrong with either one. The Bongo will have a hotter pre amp so less will be more when eq'ing it. I love both basses. My only knock on Bongos is the painted necks, which I hate. Thus the two I still have were special orders. One with a roasted maple neck and the other with an all rosewood neck. If you really want to get crazy look at the new 30th Anniversary SR5. Mine came in a few weeks ago and since I got it, I haven't played any of my other basses.

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
I don't know that I believe anyone that says a Bongo doesn't cut through on recordings. I'm inclined to think that the engineer simply didn't know how to eq something not shaped like a P- or J-bass. The few times I've recorded it has been wonderful, and I'm always out front in the mix when live. Dial in a few hi-mids if you need them. Pow! Right in the forehead.

Regarding the painted neck, mine got slick in no time from playing it, and has never been an impediment. I simply love them.

Big Poppa

Do not confuse Sterlings with Sterlings ! BP isn't gonna
dig my criticism, but who the hell OKed that name game
that gives ALMOST the same name to offshore products
as was already in use for certain current SLO models ?
Your own remark about the price difference documents
the reality of the ensuing confusion. You are not alone.

Plainly esplained ....

There's the SLO California Sterlings, simply a variant of,
or an evolution of, the StingRay. These are EBMM basses.

Then there's another company called SBMM, or "Sterling
By MusicMan". Notice that it's not SBEBMM ? "EB" is not
absent just to save space in the acronym. SBMM is NOT
EB nor EBMM.

Still aboard ? OK. At EBMM, "Sterling" is a MODEL name,
or a series name. The EBMM Sterlings are made at SLO,
California, USA.

However at SBMM, "Sterling" is a COMPANY name. There
is NO series of basses, nor model of bass, named Sterling
in the SBMM line.

Anywho, there is not just the two Sterlings, but also a
third Sterling in the mix, but he is not an electric bass :)
And he seems to have an unfathomable fondness for the
name "Sterling". Quite the puzzle, that ...

It doesn't end there ... cuz of the "S.U.B." model name
fiasco ... but thaz a story for another day.

`
golem sometimes you are a jackass but our jackass.

dave1812

ok how many that are posting an opinion of the bongo have even played it or owned it?

Me! lol

IMHO The Bongo is the Best Bass you could possibly get.
I got the 5HH and I'm currently thinking about getting a 6 String Bongo. I'd love to get one of Myung's Bongo's though with the thinner Fretboard...
But you got so so many possibilities with the Electronics and the playability is second to none.
It's a unique Bass and I won't ever let my Bongo go. If you can get your Hands on one of the PDN Bongo's with the unfinished Maple Necks go for it!

Karl

I don't know that I believe anyone that says a Bongo doesn't cut through on recordings. I'm inclined to think that the engineer simply didn't know how to eq something not shaped like a P- or J-bass. The few times I've recorded it has been wonderful, and I'm always out front in the mix when live. Dial in a few hi-mids if you need them. Pow! Right in the forehead.

Regarding the painted neck, mine got slick in no time from playing it, and has never been an impediment. I simply love them.

I thought that would be the case Oldtoe in regards to cutting through the mix.....Human error, so that clears that point. The other thing that I mentioned was the lower shape of the Bass and worries that it might be uncomfortable to play in a sitting position with the weird shape horn digging into your leg. I suppose if that is the case it is something you would just get used to,or it might not be the case at all.........What do you think?

Karl

Me! lol

IMHO The Bongo is the Best Bass you could possibly get.
I got the 5HH and I'm currently thinking about getting a 6 String Bongo. I'd love to get one of Myung's Bongo's though with the thinner Fretboard...
But you got so so many possibilities with the Electronics and the playability is second to none.
It's a unique Bass and I won't ever let my Bongo go. If you can get your Hands on one of the PDN Bongo's with the unfinished Maple Necks go for it!

Hey Dave.......What does PDN stand for?

Top Bottom