• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rikseven

Thanks guys, I see you like it.
Do you know the material of the nut of the SUB1s? Is it bone or some kind of plastic? I wasn't satisfied with the tuning after the usage of the whammy bar. It might be the result of the poor quality nut. What do you think?

fbecir

Did you try a little lubrication?

Here we go again ... :eek:
Talking about our lubrication problems with other grown men on Internet :rolleyes:

No problem with the nut of my SUB. But I did some work on it (I play with 10-52 strings, I had to widen a bit the slots) and I am not a big trem user (I do not use it "Van Halen" style but more in the style of guys like Hank Marvin).

Rikseven

Well I haven't tried anything so far. I thought I replace the old nut to Graph Tech TUSQ nut. And I think the machine heads should be replaced to Shaller M6. With all these modifications I expect better tuning stability.

fbecir

Well I haven't tried anything so far. I thought I replace the old nut to Graph Tech TUSQ nut. And I think the machine heads should be replaced to Shaller M6. With all these modifications I expect better tuning stability.

The stock machine heads are good enough I believe. If you have problems with the tuning stability, it's certainly the nut and the way it is cut.

Rikseven

The stock machine heads are good enough I believe. If you have problems with the tuning stability, it's certainly the nut and the way it is cut.

Do you think I should widen the cut first? I don't have any tools for this process. Any ideas on what I could use?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If you don't have the tools, take it to someone who does. Even with a well-cut nut slot, and locking tuners, lube helps.

Grab a HB or 2B pencil. Pull the string out of the slot and rub the pencil along the slot building up a little black dust in the slot. The graphite in the lead is a good dry lubricant. Put the string back and retune. Play for a while. Report back to us.

Just yesterday, one of my students was having tuning problems with his Epiphone Les Paul. This fixed it for him in 30 seconds.

Personally I use white lithium grease as my lube of choice. Chapstick or vaseline work great too. Apply with a needle or edge of a piece of paper.

Last edited:

Rikseven

Grab a HB or 2B pencil. Pull the string out of the slot and rub the pencil along the slot building up a little black dust in the slot. The graphite in the lead is a good dry lubricant. Put the string back and retune. Play for a while. Report back to us.

I heard the graphite trick earlier. I will definately try it when the guitar will be assembled. I hope it'll solve this issue with the tuning. Thanks for the advice.

Rikseven

Finally it's finished

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm proudly presenting my MusicMan Sub1 Special guitar. :D

Front.jpg Back.jpg

banjoplayer

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm proudly presenting my MusicMan Sub1 Special guitar. :D

View attachment 31949 View attachment 31950

wow this looks great - congrats.
one question: does the feel of the neck thickness change by taking the finish off? I´m asking because my SUB1 has a chunky neck and I´m hesitating to take the finish off because I don´t want to feel it thinner

Rikseven

wow this looks great - congrats.
one question: does the feel of the neck thickness change by taking the finish off? I´m asking because my SUB1 has a chunky neck and I´m hesitating to take the finish off because I don´t want to feel it thinner

Thank you guys!
There is no differences between the thickness of the original and the oiled/waxed neck because I only removed the really, really thin finish.
Before you start the process, I advise you to watch this video:
It helped me a lot. But if you decide to do it, be patient and don't rush.
If you need help just drop me a message, I can give you some tips.

Rikseven

MM Folks, please help me!
My tremolo bar has a thread. I don't like it. I always wanted to own a guitar with push/pull bar. Is it possible to modify the block somehow to be able to use a push/pull bar?

Rikseven

My guitar is almost finished. A new tremolo set will be arrived tomorrow, and after the setup and a little more soldering I can say it is finished.
There is one more thing. I'm considering to replace the stock machine heads with Shaller ones. Would it be a big difference? Well, I'm satisfied with the stock heads. They do their jobs and the strings stay in tune. What do you think? Is it a good idea or just a "waste of money"?

banjoplayer

My guitar is almost finished. A new tremolo set will be arrived tomorrow, and after the setup and a little more soldering I can say it is finished.
what do you mean with a "tremolo set"? Did you replace the whole thing?

They do their jobs and the strings stay in tune. What do you think?
I decided not to replace mine because for exact those reasons. The main advantage the Schallers have I think is that you don´t need a tool whereas you need a coin or something else for the stock SUB tuners, but I´m fine with that

Top Bottom