• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

k.strand

Hello, I have a Steve Morse 4-pickup model which I love, but it has too many switches and too many pickup combinations I don't use, lacking others that I would use, most importantly sc neck/middle and sc middle/bridge (the stratty 2 and 4 positions..). So I just discovered a Silhouette limited edition 2007 with HSH (see photo below) for sale in the same beautiful blueburst finish as my Steve Morse, and I figured if the humbuckers are/can be splitted in pos. 2 or 4, I would consider replacing my SM with this. I checked the specs for the current Silhouette HSH model here, and I see that it splits the humbuckers in pos. 2 and 4 : Silhouette | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man . But the seller says that as far as he knows, his '07 model doesn't have this option, he says he's never thought about it.. Does anyone here on the forum know? And apart from the pickup configuration and some design details of course, would this Silhouette otherwise be, and feel, quite similar to my Steve Morse, playing-wise..?

Attachments

• MM Silhouette 2007.jpg
    MM Silhouette 2007.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 284

k.strand

The silo is a great axe. But won't sound as a strat. IMHO.

Ok, but that wasn't exactly what I asked either, I just wondered if anyone knows whether this mentioned Silhouette '07 limited edition has the same pickup wiring as the current Silhouette HSH model, splitting the humbuckers in pos. 2 and 4 (thereby giving the same pickup config. as a strat in these positions, but not necessarily sounding like a strat..) ;-)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The 2007 LE (which was called Blue Dawn and is a sparkle finish, not the regular Morse Blue burst, and was available on all just about all EBMM models for a brief ordering window) was a standard Silhouette in every way except the finish. It would have been split coil in positions 2 and 4 which are humcancelling when used with the middle single coil.

k.strand

The 2007 LE (which was called Blue Dawn and is a sparkle finish, not the regular Morse Blue burst, and was available on all just about all EBMM models for a brief ordering window) was a standard Silhouette in every way except the finish. It would have been split coil in positions 2 and 4 which are humcancelling when used with the middle single coil.

Ok, thanks! From the picture it looks exactly like the Steve Morse finish, and not "sparkly" at all, but I may be wrong. This wasn't the best photo either, so when/if the seller sends me more photos, it might be revealed.. I'm also curious to hear if anyone have played both models, and how they compare feel/playing-wise..?

John C

I think the pickups on the 2007 Silhouette are different than they are now; however the wiring is the same.

Yes, the Blue Dawn is a sparkly finish; I had a 2007 LE Silhouette Special (the 22-fret Silhouette version; mine was SSS with a tremolo). I wish I had kept this one; here's an old photo of it:

QETB4rll.jpg

k.strand

Here's another photo of the guitar, together with a couple of other EBMM's he's selling, too.. Can't see any sparkle in the finish here either

Attachments

• MM Silhouette 2007 2.jpg
    MM Silhouette 2007 2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 237

GWDavis28

Here's another photo of the guitar, together with a couple of other EBMM's he's selling, too.. Can't see any sparkle in the finish here either

OMG that Morse is a rare beast my friend, Original Steve Morse in original Blue Dawn!!! :eek: You are a lucky guy!!!

Glenn |B)

k.strand

OMG that Morse is a rare beast my friend, Original Steve Morse in original Blue Dawn!!! :eek: You are a lucky guy!!!

Glenn |B)[/QUOTE

No, I think you got this a little mixed up ;-) I have a "normal" Steve Morse model in blue burst, but I'm interested in buying a used Silhouette ltd. ed. in a blue something finish (could be blue dawn), which is the one pictured here :)

GWDavis28

Glenn |B)[/QUOTE

No, I think you got this a little mixed up ;-) I have a "normal" Steve Morse model in blue burst, but I'm interested in buying a used Silhouette ltd. ed. in a blue something finish (could be blue dawn), which is the one pictured here :)

Hahahahaha, oh man , my bad, see what happens when you rush. Got it man. Good luck with the Silo.

Glenn |B)

John C

Lighting and flash really impact the Blue Dawn finish - the photo of my old one was shot with a lower-end Canon "point and shoot" digital camera with the flash on - which really makes the metal flake pop. In low light/less flash the pearl doesn't pop as much.

John C

Btw, 2007 silhouette had te same pickups as now (DiMarzio virtual PAF hum-buckers, custom wound DiMarzio single, which is not dissimilar to the current True Velvet).

Thanks DrKev - EBMM has adjusted the pickups a few times over the years and I wasn't sure when the Virtual PAF came out and when EBMM changed to it for the humbuckers.

Bungo

99.9% sure the finish on that Silo is Blue Dawn Sparkle. The sparkles are not showing themselves in that pic, but that was the 2007 LE colour (I have a JP6 in this finish), and it has the 12th fret 2007 LE inlay.

Fantastic colour by the way.

k.strand

I bought the Silhouette, and it's great! Playing-wise it feels quite similar to my Steve Morse (like I hoped it would), but it has the extra features that I was missing on my Steve Morse; the pos. 2 and 4 stratty sounds, 24 frets and super-easy access to the higher frets thanks to the extended cutaway (which looks a little weird, but I guess I'll get used to it..), body contour, and the smooth vintage style MM tremolo. So even though I still love my Steve Morse, and that it has many other features that neither the Silhouette nor any other guitar have, I guess I will have to let it go.. I also have a Music Man Luke, plus 40 + other guitars, so I guess I'm good with only one blue Music Man.. ;-)
(By the way, the finish has some subtle sparkle in it, otherwise it looks very similar to the blue burst on the Steve Morse, as you can see from the pictures)

Attachments

• Music Man Silhouette in case.jpg
    Music Man Silhouette in case.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 236
  • The three Music Men.jpg
    The three Music Men.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 175

Tescot

I bought the Silhouette, and it's great! Playing-wise it feels quite similar to my Steve Morse (like I hoped it would), but it has the extra features that I was missing on my Steve Morse; the pos. 2 and 4 stratty sounds, 24 frets and super-easy access to the higher frets thanks to the extended cutaway (which looks a little weird, but I guess I'll get used to it..), body contour, and the smooth vintage style MM tremolo. So even though I still love my Steve Morse, and that it has many other features that neither the Silhouette nor any other guitar have, I guess I will have to let it go.. I also have a Music Man Luke, plus 40 + other guitars, so I guess I'm good with only one blue Music Man.. ;-)
(By the way, the finish has some subtle sparkle in it, otherwise it looks very similar to the blue burst on the Steve Morse, as you can see from the pictures)

I'm jealous! I've been looking for a hardtail version of that guitar! But if I found one with a trem I'd probably jump on it...
Enjoy!

Top Bottom