• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jamie M

Hi all. I have GAS once again and I am looking for my next Ball. Any recommendations as to what to try? The Valentine looks tempting I have to say. I am not interested in the JP line though. Thanks and I already have an ASS.

GWDavis28

Hi all. I have GAS once again and I am looking for my next Ball. Any recommendations as to what to try? The Valentine looks tempting I have to say. I am not interested in the JP line though. Thanks and I already have an ASS.

It depends what your looking for, something different I would assume?? What type of sound are you looking for?

Glenn |B)

xjbebop

You know what I'm gonna say... :D

s35wOrU.jpg

Fro

Get the Cutlass so you’re single coil tones are covered.
Then get a Valentine for some different tones.
Then get a ...
Then get a ...
Then get a ...

Jp6Fanatic

My ability to recommend guitars is now useless since you said you're not interested in Jp's :D.

But in all seriousness i'd give the Cutlass a shot, especially the RS models those necks are just a work of art.

KDude

I'm just going to go against the grain and say you already have an awesome guitar. Axis SS and Reflex are some of the best. But that's just my 2c. At least I don't miss much with one. Not that I don't get GAS occasionally (I wouldn't complain if I had a Cutlass or Armada), but not enough to really cave in.

I must be the worst Ernie Ball customer on the forum. :D

Jamie M

Thanks for all your input guys. its a tough one but I am trying a Valentine at the weekend, the pup options look interesting. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

TripHazard

I will say, I loved my valentine, but the neck on mine was too thick for my tiny man-child hands. Really hampered my cowboy chord playing style. I intend on getting another later on - a used one in natural, and having my luthier friend re-shape the neck to match my Hunter Hayes

tbonesullivan

What kind of music do you play? Are you looking for something similar to the ASS, or did you want to maybe get something with more of a single coil sound? There are lots of choices out there.

Jamie M

What kind of music do you play? Are you looking for something similar to the ASS, or did you want to maybe get something with more of a single coil sound? There are lots of choices out there.
Mainly standard rock and blues, I still want the Humbucker sound but also something a bit different so I think the Valentine ticks the boxes.

beej

Something HSS might tick the boxes, too. Cutlass HSS, Luke III HSS, Silhouette Special HSS, etc.

The Luke III is pretty sick. Bonus points if you can find one with larger frets.

tbonesullivan

Mainly standard rock and blues, I still want the Humbucker sound but also something a bit different so I think the Valentine ticks the boxes.
I just worry about how the bridge single coil will work with me. I know that style of guitar: the tele with the neck 'bucker, and I just never bond with it. If I'm gonna have a guitar with singles and buckers, it's gotta have a bridge bucker.

I've got a Luke III SSH and a Steve Morse, which is HSSH, and I LOVE the versatility of both.

KDude

Like others are saying, it's just a humbucker in the neck. Kind of Tele Custom-like. That's certainly different though, and not bad. It works for Keith.

I still think your Axis is awesome, but I see that you're selling it. So I suppose I shouldn't mention it again. :D If I wanted another humbucker equipped guitar, but not the Axis, I'd go Stingray or Armada, personally (although the pups in either are a bit vintage and aren't as hot as the Dimarzios, afaik).

Fro

I have the boost set on my Valentine to give me a good humbucker sound on the bridge position. Just hit the boost and roll down the tone knob a bit = great humbucker sound.

Fro

I will say if I had to choose just one MM to keep it’d be my Luke III HH.

Top Bottom