• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JimB2

I've looked all over the net and this forum and can't find out where the battery is in an MM Albert Lee. Please, where is it and how do I get to it? Is there a manual somewhere for this guitar? thanks!

fbecir

Is it an AL with 3 single coils ? Or an AL with 2 humbuckers ?

If it is an HH AL, there is no silent circuit, thus there is no battery.
If it is an SSS AL, there is a battery compartment.

JimB2

Is it an AL with 3 single coils ? Or an AL with 2 humbuckers ?

If it is an HH AL, there is no silent circuit, thus there is no battery.
If it is an SSS AL, there is a battery compartment.

Hi, it's an SSS AL, no battery compartment that I can find.

Sweat

See picture that is where it should be.

UGdIKza.jpg

fbecir

How old is your AL ?
The compartment is on the back of the guitar :
slide-1.jpg

But perhaps on the old AL, it is inside the pickguard.

Last edited:

John C

If it is an early AL I believe they do not have a silent circuit so there would be no battery

That is correct; I'm not sure exactly when they added the Silent Circuit to the Albert Lees. The earliest AL that I've owned was a 2006 (with 3 MM90s) and it had it.

That reminds me...anyone know roughly what year the silent circuit started getting offered on the ALs and Silhouette Specials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Silhouette Specials were the first EBMMs with the Silent Circuit; I'm fairly sure they had it from their introduction which I think was in 1995 (or maybe 1996). Then it was on the Axis Sports with SSS and HSS when they came out (1997 I believe), and when the SSS & HSS were replaced by the MM90 version it also had the Silent Circuit.

So I'm guessing the AL got it after the Axis Sports got it - maybe the following year (1998?), maybe later.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
There is an April 2000 Hardtail SSS AL on reverb right now with no battery box. If there is a battery and silent circuit, it must be under the pickguard.

That reminds me...anyone know roughly what year the silent circuit started getting offered on the ALs and Silhouette Specials?

My first guess was 1998. The wiring diagrams for the Silhouette Special suggest April 1997, os it can't be earlier than that. I assume there was a delay between the first diagrams and production line but how long, I can't guess.

John C

There is an April 2000 Hardtail SSS AL on reverb right now with no battery box. If there is a battery and silent circuit, it must be under the pickguard.

My first guess was 1998. The wiring diagrams for the Silhouette Special suggest April 1997, os it can't be earlier than that. I assume there was a delay between the first diagrams and production line but how long, I can't guess.

I think that it is the other way around - a delay between production and releasing the diagrams. I found a 1995 Silo Special on Reverb and it has the battery box.

gltcrrlnvjmp8nhexnhv.jpg

The s/n is 96437, and the database does return it as a 1995 Silhouette Special in pearl purple. Always cool to see those early ones with the Wilkinson tremolos and the Grover locking tuners.

JimB2

MusicMan customer service says the AL didn’t get the silent circuit until 2001

Top Bottom