• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Pseudohobbit

First time posting here. Bear with me.

So I got a Luke III a few weeks ago and I’m addicted to Music Mans now, especially the 1 5/8” roasted neck.

Current line up is Eastman SB59/v, PRS 594, PRS Cu24, HSS Pro Stratocaster, Luke III. I want a tele and another Music Man. Not sure what other holes need filling. Not into P90s or fillertrons and not in a rush for a semi hollow.

The dilemma I’m having is should I sell/trade the SB? Really like LP tones, but I’m wondering if I really need the overlap. If I replaced with a MM, what to get? I may buy an Ultra Tele anyway. I think I can buy one guitar at the moment or move the SB and get two, one a tele and another if something else.

Other MM guitars I’m looking at are Axis, Valentine, Cutlass HSS, Sabre, and JP6/15.

I keep going back and forth on what to do. I like all my guitars, I really do. I also don’t want like 50 guitars. Also, I’m very partial to PRS like I am with Music Man.

Virtuoso

If you're veering towards a Tele, definitely try a Valentine! Fantastic guitars - very versatile with great Tele tones and you will feel immediately at home with the neck. You can find them used for around $1400-$1500.

TripHazard

If you still want something in the Les Paul arena, I’d say look into the Armada, but it is used market only because the model has been discontinued. An Albert Lee HH might be worth a look, but it’s not full on Les Paul territory - could be with the right pickups tho
A Valentine hits the sweet spot, bridging tele and 335 territory.

Pseudohobbit

If you're veering towards a Tele, definitely try a Valentine! Fantastic guitars - very versatile with great Tele tones and you will feel immediately at home with the neck. You can find them used for around $1400-$1500.

What stinks is there isn’t a dealer with MM stock anywhere near me to try. I’m able to try the standard and ultra teles but that’s about it.

Pseudohobbit

If you still want something in the Les Paul arena, I’d say look into the Armada, but it is used market only because the model has been discontinued. An Albert Lee HH might be worth a look, but it’s not full on Les Paul territory - could be with the right pickups tho
A Valentine hits the sweet spot, bridging tele and 335 territory.

Well, I have a PRS 594. It doesn’t grunt like an LP but it is clearer, easier to play, and sounds more vintage.

Wildhorse

Check out G&L ASAT Specials for a Tele alternative, and an ASAT HH as a Les Paul alternative.. great guitars.

My next will be a Sabre. I get weak just looking at them...

Last edited:

Jamie M

If you want a Tele tone, get a proper Tele.... a MIM will do. The Valentine really won't cut it....

I agree the XJ. You cant get an alternative to a Tele or LP really. If you have that itch you should get the real thing. MM are amazing guitars and cover a great range but sometimes an itch is an itch :)

Wildhorse

I had an American Tele and gave it away to my son after getting the ASAT Special.. It is a great guitar, but I like the ASAT more. That’s the real test IMO, when you have competing products and one stands out. Admittedly though both my sons play and they think I’m nuts... I gave my other son my Clapton Strat when I started getting S Types that IMO are superior guitars..

2mdude

I'd have to agree with this. As someone who appreciates the Telecaster and now owns a Valentine, it's kind of like a tweaked Tele and the roasted neck will feel like shaking hands with an old friend. The tapered body is kind of cool as well.

Top Bottom