• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

furor

Hi,

in the comparison of the different JP models (John Petrucci Signature Guitar Buying Guide – Ernie Ball Music Man), it says that the JP6 BFR has a mahogany tone block and alder body.
I guess there have been JP6 BFR types produced regardless of this 'JP6 BFR' type, with probably different specifications?
When did they issue 'the' JP6 BFR type?
I'm considering a 2007 JP6 BFR (with the Ball Family Reserve inlay), and I'm wondering whether this has the tone block or would be the normal basswood body?

I don't know if someone can interpet this, but this is the build code: 962-64-J2-00-ES-CR
It has chrome hardware, so I guess that's the CR?

Thanks!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The build codes are Body - Color - Neck - Pickguard - Case - Hardware

If I recall correctly, 960 was the original JP6, 961 is JP6 with piezo, and 962 is BFR JP6, i.e. alder with maple top and mahogany tone block. Both 961 and 962 are current codes and appear as above on the product pages.

furor

Thanks DrKev.
I figured out the first number through comparing serial numbers, but does 962 guarantee alder/maple/mahogany? (on a 2007 guitar)
I tried to contact MM trhough their contact form but I get an error (need to prove that I'm human but there's nothing to select, and my emails get reset).

edit: tried chrome to send it and the captcha is present. Didn't work with FF

Last edited:

PeteDuBaldo

Thanks DrKev.
I figured out the first number through comparing serial numbers, but does 962 guarantee alder/maple/mahogany? (on a 2007 guitar)
I tried to contact MM trhough their contact form but I get an error (need to prove that I'm human but there's nothing to select, and my emails get reset).

edit: tried chrome to send it and the captcha is present. Didn't work with FF

Yes, the 962 body type was the /alder body/maple top/mahogany tone block/ combination, certainly only that combination in 2007.

Later with and very limited exceptions there were some different woods used, such as the 2012ish Honey Roasted package and the 2013-14ish Neptune Blue package, etc. which came with an African Mahogany body (instead of alder) and maple top,

Top Bottom