• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

cyndicate

Anyone know what is causing this issue? EBMM JP XX - YouTube

It’s a brand new guitar. I emailed EBMM support but waiting for a response currently.

Ive owned a bunch of EBMM guitars and this is the first time I’ve had this issue. Possible fret issue? It only happens when I slide or hammer on to the 11th fret on the high E and B string. It sounds like it’s either lightly vibrating against the fret or some other frequency is resonating with the guitar. Occasionally happens below that fret but anything above that fret is fine. The rest of the guitar is fine on all other strings and frets so I don’t think it’s a setup issue. Any help is appreciated!

Mace13

Once the new Majesty I had had some weird string noise on certain frets. EBMM advised to change the string because it might be faulty. Turns out changing the sting actually fixed it, although I do not know why! The guitar has been fine ever since. It may be worth a try for you.

cyndicate

Once the new Majesty I had had some weird string noise on certain frets. EBMM advised to change the string because it might be faulty. Turns out changing the sting actually fixed it, although I do not know why! The guitar has been fine ever since. It may be worth a try for you.

Appreciate the suggestion! I did see that post in the forums when I was trying to find an answer. I changed both strings and unfortunately that problem still exists. I'm assuming it's an issue with the fret itself since adjusting the action & truss rod doesn't seem to fix it. Did you change out the single string or all strings?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Right, let's deal with silly obvious stuff first (because they can catch us all out far more often that we like to think).

You changed that string, it's probably not that. (But that is always the first thing to try).

Grab a screwdriver and/or allen wrench and make sure all screws on the guitar are not loose. No need to crank them tight (we don't want to strip any threads in wood), just make sure nothing is loose.

Turn all reverb and delays off. Still there?

Question: Does this happen with clean tones? If you are using amp modelling, does it happen only with certain settings or patches?

That's the 10th fret, right, not the 11th fret? In E standard tuning that's is an A note, so it may be some sort of interference with a string harmonics (5th fret A string and 7th fret D string) so make sure all other strings are fully muted, and then the lengths of string behind the nut. That kind of thing can be troublesome at very high levels of distortion.

If that's the case, you may simply have too much distortion, which is a common mistake when we play at bedroom volume levels, because we want the sustain and fullness that comes naturally from high volumes. Also, if you have compression enabled along with the distortion, try switching it off.

If you raised the pickups, they may be pulling on the strings and that can certainly cause this type of problem. Put them back to their original height and try again.

Mace13

Did you change out the single string or all strings?

I don't remember! But in your case just change them all and see if that helps. I do remember thinking "how can the string be faulty??" because I had never experienced such a thing in 30 years. But, after the string change all was good. Never could figure out why!

JJBC

Right, let's deal with silly obvious stuff first (because they can catch us all out far more often that we like to think).

You changed that string, it's probably not that. (But that is always the first thing to try).

Grab a screwdriver and/or allen wrench and make sure all screws on the guitar are not loose. No need to crank them tight (we don't want to strip any threads in wood), just make sure nothing is loose.

Turn all reverb and delays off. Still there?

Question: Does this happen with clean tones? If you are using amp modelling, does it happen only with certain settings or patches?

That's the 10th fret, right, not the 11th fret? In E standard tuning that's is an A note, so it may be some sort of interference with a string harmonics (5th fret A string and 7th fret D string) so make sure all other strings are fully muted, and then the lengths of string behind the nut. That kind of thing can be troublesome at very high levels of distortion.

If that's the case, you may simply have too much distortion, which is a common mistake when we play at bedroom volume levels, because we want the sustain and fullness that comes naturally from high volumes. Also, if you have compression enabled along with the distortion, try switching it off.

If you raised the pickups, they may be pulling on the strings and that can certainly cause this type of problem. Put them back to their original height and try again.

This is an amazing answer!

My RP does something similar. That note happens to make the G string (I think) resonate when sliding so my muting needs to be perfect so it doesn't happen. It is just the personality of the guitar and my playing (in this case my muting technique) needs to be adjusted.

Top Bottom