• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ohdamnitsdevin

I'd Love to see a JP7 like that, but i'd use the 9th or 7th Fret for the parallel fret, the first fret looks pretty uncomfortable. I've also got a Strandberg with the fanned frets and the 7th Fret seems to be much more natural, but i guess they went with JP's preference

I second this, it would be rad if they explored bringing the fixed bridge to the majesty 6&7.

beej

This is wild- it's really a step in a new direction, and a bold step for MM to take!

No idea if I can play something like that- but I would love to try it out one day. (Assuming a regular production model eventually happens.)

Mixolydian82

I haven't ever been a regular here, but I *have* read sterlings responses about not being a custom shop and what not. There's a part of me though that would love to see some of the 8 strings features make their way to the other Majesty and JP lines. Fixed bridge, fanned Frets, etc.

I could be way wrong, but that'd be pretty cool.

Shadow1psc

Got my order in as soon as it went up - the page says "Ships within 4 months", so I assume I'll have to wait a bit, can anyone comment on if it'll actually be sooner than that?

Bill S

Got my order in as soon as it went up - the page says "Ships within 4 months", so I assume I'll have to wait a bit, can anyone comment on if it'll actually be sooner than that?

I got an email from UPS this morning saying mine is being delivered to me in Spain next week! I think there were about 60 of the 100 left when I ordered, so on that basis I guess there was a decent amount of stock.

So, the next thing (having categorically ruled out buying one in my earlier post in this thread) is learning to play this beast!! I have been looking at some of YouTubes that Tosin Abasi has put up - he is a genius, and way beyond what I could achieve but inspiring all the same. I would happily pay for a professional course of lessons but I haven’t found anything thus far.

Aside from that I am super excited!

Shadow1psc

I got an email from UPS this morning saying mine is being delivered to me in Spain next week! I think there were about 60 of the 100 left when I ordered, so on that basis I guess there was a decent amount of stock.

There was 45ish when I placed mine, holy hell I'm hype now! (And I live in SoCal, so I would think its basically next day shipping!)

Mixolydian82

I've already seen quite a few people post theirs on Facebook. They're great looking guitars.

Bill S

Mine has arrived!

xWwDGp5.jpg
[/IMG]

Considering I am in Spain and I ordered it just eight days ago direct from Ernie Ball Musicman, I am seriously impressed. I got number 35 out of 100.

No doubting it is a thing of beauty - I am really looking forward to trying to get my head around playing an 8 - my "thing" is writing, recording and producing albums of my own material and the new addition WILL feature on the next one! One day I would like to post a video to prove it :)

I've never had a six string lesson in my life - anyone know of any online resources for getting a head start on an 8?!

charxxa7

In general, I think it's important to understand that price should not be a determining factor for you. Yes, the instruments of famous brands, such as acoustic guitars from Taylor or electric guitars from Gibson, just can't be cheap. In addition to the complexity of their production, the overall brand awareness, status, and quality assurance play a significant role. However, this does not mean that a cheaper instrument will always and necessarily be worse. Yes, to study on a guitar with which at any moment it is not a shame to go on stage and speak in front of an audience of many thousands is very lovely. But you can't unlock the potential of such an instrument in a year or two. Learning music, in general, is quite a long process, which is why you should watch the best mandolins under 300

Last edited:

7enderbender

Does anyone know if there will be a regular non-limited version of this? I came very close to clicking the pay button the day it came out, but reminded myself that I was saving up my slush fund for something else. And I absolute do NOT need this one -a dn I'm in fact still fighting with my 7-string JP15. But its pretty.

Shadow1psc

Does anyone know if there will be a regular non-limited version of this? I came very close to clicking the pay button the day it came out, but reminded myself that I was saving up my slush fund for something else. And I absolute do NOT need this one -a dn I'm in fact still fighting with my 7-string JP15. But its pretty.

My guess is that there will be a non limited, non mystic dream run somewhere in the future. I would also not be surprised if a Jason Richardson 8 string is in the works. I base both of these statements on no official news or insider knowledge.

Vadauco

However John is a light player. He doesn't use thick string gauges

LOL what??

He uses .010 gauge on a 25.5" scale, that's hardly "light".

Billy Gibbons uses .007 gauge, now that's a light player.

Shadow1psc

LOL what??

He uses .010 gauge on a 25.5" scale, that's hardly "light".

Billy Gibbons uses .007 gauge, now that's a light player.

I don't think anyone would call 10s thick/heavy gauge, but by light I think the context here is John has a lighter touch as well which is how he gets away with his low action.

MrJJoncas

I don't think anyone would call 10s thick/heavy gauge, but by light I think the context here is John has a lighter touch as well which is how he gets away with his low action.

Yes, that's what I meant. To reply to Vadauco as well, John played with 9s and a hybrid of 9s and 10s for a while. According to his website, he plays with a 56 for the low B on his 7 strings. I checked on a string tension calculator and, for a 25.5" scale, a 46 string gauge tuned in E has 18.3 lbs of tension and a 56 for B has 15.5 lbs. It's the string that has the lowest tension at least minus 2 lbs compared to the hi E.

You also have to consider the style. DT has its fair share of metal elements and heavy riffing, which generally means a more aggressive pick attack. It's a known fact that metal players rather tend to go for bigger string gauges than the contrary because they can make a note sharp if the strings are too flabby. So I don't think the comparison with Billy Gibbons is really valid considering that.

Ultimately, I'm sure the criteria on which each of us would consider someone to be a light or heavy player are different. But as far as I can think, John isn't on the heavy hitter side of the spectrum.

Going back to the Majesty 8. If anyone is curious, this is the tension each string has based on the factory set up (usually John's) and accounting for the multiscale:

E4 - 010 - 17.8 lbs
B3 - 013 - 17.3 lbs
G3 - 016.5 - 18.9 lbs
D3 - 024 - 17.6 lbs
A2 - 032 - 18.2 lbs
E2 - 044 -18.5 lbs
B1 - 058 - 17.9 lbs
F#1 - 074 - 16.6 lbs

Compared to his 25.5" scale 6 and 7 strings:
E4 - 010 - 17.8 lbs
B3 - 013 - 16.9 lbs
G3 - 017 - 18.2 lbs
D3 - 026 - 20 lbs
A2 - 036 - 20.3 lbs
E2 - 046 - 18.3 lbs
B1 - 056 - 15.5 lbs

Shadow1psc

Nice family portrait Shadow1psc !

My JP6 has long been a favorite, but I keep each guitar in a different tuning to keep me from just using one guitar forever. Each definitely has a little bit of its own flavor and feel. The Majesty 8 plays amazing, setup pretty well from the factory. Easy to dial in with my Axe FX II XL+, but in all my excitement I forgot to order a strap for it, so I'm waiting for another JP strap to arrive (it's a little unwieldy without one).

Top Bottom