• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

backlineguy

Hello all,

I'm new, so forgive me if this has been asked/answered previously...

I have a Stingray 5, and I need to know the pickup height...top of the pole to the bottom of the string on the B and the G...

I've read on Seymour Duncan's site that 3/32" is a good starting point...what say Ernie Ball/Music Man fans/techs?

thanks in advance
Backlineguy

five7

FAQ | Ernie Ball Music Man

Factory String heights for a 4 string bass are: Bass side 3/32" to 7/64" Treble side: 5/64" to 7/64" from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. The rest of the strings should have the radius of the fretboard when looking at the top of the string, (with the A string hidden from view by the E string, etc.), rotating the bass at the same time. The "right" string height is, of course, ultimately determined by your playing style.

The same holds true for 5 string basses except the low B is set to 7/64".

N4860

FAQ | Ernie Ball Music Man

Factory String heights for a 4 string bass are: Bass side 3/32" to 7/64" Treble side: 5/64" to 7/64" from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. The rest of the strings should have the radius of the fretboard when looking at the top of the string, (with the A string hidden from view by the E string, etc.), rotating the bass at the same time. The "right" string height is, of course, ultimately determined by your playing style.

The same holds true for 5 string basses except the low B is set to 7/64".

That is string height which is not the same as pickup height. Here is the info about the recommended pick up heights:

If you have a single pickup bass set the pickup height to 6/32" from the plastic pickup cover to the bottom of the G string. Adjust the bass side of the pickup to be parallel with the pickguard.

If you have a dual pickup bass set the bridge pickup to the specs above. Follow the same procedure for the neck pickup except set that to 8/32".

Top Bottom