• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Welcome to Day 4 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Thanks for the kind words and comments on NYNGD #2021-3! Sorry I've been absentee for 10 days... super busy these days and my daughter was home from college for winter break, back to work after a few weeks off, etc., etc. OK, Jeff, get on with it...

Alright, so... you all know that I'm a big Luke III fan (30 of 'em so far) and I have a few Luke 1's (4 of 'em, one being a Sledge reissue) because I love the floating Floyd. But until this year I only had one Luke 2 (NYNGD #2019-2).

Today's guitar is stunning and classy -- a Luke 2 in the limited Black Sugar Roasted Maple package. These were the first EBMMs with roasted maple necks. And man, it is gorgeous! Interestingly, the roasted maple neck on these was originally gloss on the back, but on this one everything except the heel down by where it meets the body and the headstock are gloss, and the middle of the neck is natural -- but it's clear this was either PLAYED and the gloss wore away (I doubt it because the guitar is spotless) or a previous owner took sandpaper to it and removed the gloss in the middle. Feels way better than gloss so I welcome it!

She also has a perfect ebony fretboard with the coveted 12th fret BFR inlay (EBMM, PLEASE BRING BACK THE BFR INLAY!!!).

The Black Sugar finish is awesome and classy. It's a gloss black with subtle gold pearl in it. Not a sparkle. Way more subdued and chill. Just gorgeous. But, of course, hard as hell to capture in photographs!

This guy sounds and plays awesome. And just when you think, "Nah, EMGs are not for me," you get surprised because this thing sounds awesome!

I'll be back soon with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day! Thanks for looking everyone, and thanks for being patient!

large_0001.jpg

large_0002.jpg

large_0003.jpg

large_0004.jpg

large_0005.jpg

large_0006.jpg

large_0007.jpg

large_0008.jpg

large_0009.jpg

classes_1992-2021.jpg

Past Days:
The new EBMM message board limits the number of characters in a post so I can't put a list of direct links in the post. Click here for an index.

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. :) The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Jeff man, I agree the Black Sugar run was one of the best!!! And though I wasn't crazy about the BFR logo, once I had one it's the second best fret marker, sorry but the Dargie Delight (original) martini glass has to be my all time favorite. Did you snag this one off of Reverb? I was almost going to scoop it up if it was.

Congrats man, Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

NICE!!!!! Is there any color to the "Black Sugar" finish? I remember there being some that are metallic with a very dark translucent coat over the metallic layer.

beej

That really is classy. You're so right- those EMGs don't get enough respect. That's a great sounding guitar for sure.

dibart77

NICE!!!!! Is there any color to the "Black Sugar" finish? I remember there being some that are metallic with a very dark translucent coat over the metallic layer.

From 4 feet away it's black. Under great stage lighting, you can see that it has a pearl finish. Up close and under the right light, the "sugar" is slightly gold. But it's mostly black.

headcrash

Just see how that figuring of the neck on the back side changes with camera angle. That must be even more deep and 3D in reality!!
That black sugar sure looks really good, although black isn't exctly my cup of tea.

tbonesullivan

From 4 feet away it's black. Under great stage lighting, you can see that it has a pearl finish. Up close and under the right light, the "sugar" is slightly gold. But it's mostly black.
Nice! That's like the St. Vincent Goldie in "Silk Charmeuse", which is actually a very dark metallic blue. Love the subtle finishes like that.

Lucien2

I've been living with my Luke 2 for about 3 weeks now, having read every last single thing anyone on the internet ever said about these EMGs and I have some initial thoughts-

-don't mess with the pickup height. Yes I know, they are way low compared to EMG spec. But the resulting output renders them (to my ear) more organic sounding and quite difficult to distinguish from my passive guitars...except they're dead quiet :)

-they are unusually sensitive to amp pairings. My Fishman Fluence Open Cores sound like PAF style humbuckers, and when I switch between amps they speak with the same voice, simply colored or accented by the amp. the EMGs love my USA Hot Rod Deluxe clean, are ambivalent toward my Twin Reverb, and really don't care for my Orange clean. But crank that Orange gain and they do this jeckyl and hyde thing that makes you want to throw on a tank top and do massive dive bombs all day lol

-one similarity to passives I don't love- the tone knob doesn't do much. The fishman controls are responsive and interactive, sweep to sweep. I was hoping for that here, but it sometimes feels like the tone knob only goes to 8. Probably Steve's preference so whatever.

-overall, in this guitar as it sits, they are surprisingly organic and sensitive and not at all what I was expecting out of EMG. I didn't think this Luke would move to my #1 but if the last three weeks are any indication, it may be. I do not miss the '57 reissue Strat I traded in for it one little bit.

That Black Sugar finish and that neck are absolutely STUNNING my friend. What a great example, it is just beautiful!

Top Bottom