• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mynan

I just turned 50 and was feeling nostalgic. I hadn't played or even cracked the case since before the pandemic, but decided to get my old Tone Port out and hook it up to my laptop. My fingers are a little rusty, but the cobalt flats still sound good and it got me thinking about this forum and remembering what a great group you all are, so I thought I'd share.

A lot has changed since I was here last. With the price of new basses being what they are, it looks like mine might still be worth almost what I paid for it new :oops:. I guess it's practically a classic now. I couldn't even find a new pickguard for it other than the black and white options on the MM site, but I found a couple used Chandlers in white and tort on Reverb and ordered them.

Anyway, I thought I'd check in and say "Hi". I hope you all are doing well.

IMG_0895.JPEG

Tollywood

Hello! Good job cracking open that case. You should challenge yourself to learn a new song every week. You will be glad that you did 👍🏼

mynan

Pickguards from Reverb arrived...looks like they're for a 4-string :cry:

If it were you would you stay with the black, order a white ($35), or order a tort ($50)?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Honestly, I would stay with the black (or even black pearl or abalone). There is just something so "classic music man" about a black pickguard. At least in my head. I love a good tort guard but not with that color. BTW, you can get a Sterling 5 HH pickguard here...

mynan

Honestly, I would stay with the black (or even black pearl or abalone). There is just something so "classic music man" about a black pickguard. At least in my head. I love a good tort guard but not with that color. BTW, you can get a Sterling 5 HH pickguard here...

Thanks. That site is where I found the tort guard I was thinking about getting and their white guards are about the same price as the MM site.

I think I might stick with the black. I had an inca silver strat with a rosewood neck and white guard and really liked that color combination, but now I'm thinking that the black pickups might ruin the look.

Abalone is something that I hadn't thought of. I put one of those on a Dargie 2 Bongo that I had and liked it a lot. I'll have to think about that one.

Top Bottom