• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

backagain1

I'm starting to futz around with slapping and popping on my SR-5. I am using flatwound strings (EB 2810's).

Does anyone who plays slap bass also use flatwound strings? Is there any advantage to using the roundwounds for slapping/popping? Is it practical to slap and pop with flatwound strings?

Thanks,

backagain1

shakinbacon

I'm starting to futz around with slapping and popping on my SR-5. I am using flatwound strings (EB 2810's).

Does anyone who plays slap bass also use flatwound strings? Is there any advantage to using the roundwounds for slapping/popping? Is it practical to slap and pop with flatwound strings?

Thanks,

backagain1

I couldn't find it but Ed Friedland has a nice demo of slapping with flats. It sounds quite good.

I like the sound of flats for slapping as it takes the "crack" out of the note that usually hurts my ears.

However, I cannot deny how good most people sound on roundwounds while slapping, especially with a scooped eq and compression

MrMusashi

for slapping a good set of roundwounds will give you the zing slapping sound craves ;)

nothing wrong in slapping on flats though..

check ed friedlands excellent comparison here to make up your own mind:
Ernie Ball | News
(scroll down for the audio player)

hth!

MrM

TheAntMan

Isn't the real answer to be found in what you hear when you are playing slap with whichever type of string? I have heard slap on fretless, with flats, rounds, and all types of configurations. It all depend on how it fits into the song. Your ears will be the best judge. Don't put limits as to what is "the right" or "standard" way to make music.

Anyway, my $0.02.

--Ant

Manfloozy

I love flats, and prefer them 99% of the time... The remaining 1% is for slapping. IMHO slap = rounds. If you are just starting to slap and you haven't tried a Ray/Bongo with Slinkys... You have to, at least once.

Stingray 4 Nut

The first time I tried flats, I never came back to rounds. I don´t see why one can´t slap on flats. In a Stingray you can slap even if it is a wire!

EdFriedland

Here is another link to some more samples of slap on EB flats. I demoed my Lakland 44-07 with Group IIIs and the are a variety of samples up, inlcuding lots of slap.

Bass Whisperer Tone Testl

I find that not every flatwound will slap well, they have to have some bite and flexibility. For example, LaBellas, DRs, Lakland JOs - no. EB, D'Addario, TI - yes.

backagain1

for slapping a good set of roundwounds will give you the zing slapping sound craves ;)

nothing wrong in slapping on flats though..

check ed friedlands excellent comparison here to make up your own mind:
Ernie Ball | News
(scroll down for the audio player)

hth!

MrM

For some reason, I can't see the audio player to show up. Can you link it to this site?

Thanks,

backagain1

backagain1

Here is another link to some more samples of slap on EB flats. I demoed my Lakland 44-07 with Group IIIs and the are a variety of samples up, inlcuding lots of slap.

Bass Whisperer Tone Testl

I find that not every flatwound will slap well, they have to have some bite and flexibility. For example, LaBellas, DRs, Lakland JOs - no. EB, D'Addario, TI - yes.

Thanks!!! As an aside, how frequently do you change your flats?

backagain1

Kirby

I love flats for slap. I really love the muted tone it gives and that lack of high zing is totally cool with me.

As far as changing them, maybe once every 8 to 12 months if they are really bothering me. Not nearly as often as rounds. I change rounds about every 2 weeks on the basses getting the most play.

Rano Bass

Thanks,

backagain1

It depends on what you want to hear, the classic bright snappy sound needs rounds.
For old school sounds flats will do.
I much prefer the sound of rounds for everything but its your call, compare both and see what you like best.

RobertB

Here is another link to some more samples of slap on EB flats.

I would've never guessed flats were used on those samples, especially the slap stuff. There goes another stereotype ... hate (love) it when that happens.

On a separate note, that slap groove you're playing is one of the tastiest things I've ever heard, and it probably took you all of a few seconds to come up with it. I actually recognize it was a permutation of my previous favorite (until just now) Friedland demo lick ... the introductory groove in the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zOCsxlqd4s"]YouTube- Big Al preview[/ame] you posted. I love how you're popping the 3rds/10ths rather than the octaves ... light a match when you play like that, would ya?

EdFriedland

Thanks, yeah, that's my one lick there... Lol! Seriously, it's true.

@backagain: I don't change flats often. My LaBellas are close to 9 years old, the JOs I leave too. My TIs are probably a year old, and no need to change them for another 2 years... The Chromes I will change maybe once a year, don't know about EBs because I just put them on a few months ago. I'll get back to you in a year.

RobertB

Thanks, yeah, that's my one lick there... Lol! Seriously, it's true.

gotta call bs on that. you cover as much or more territory - and masterfully so - than pretty much anyone i can think of. for demo stuff, it's understandable to re-use a little bit here and there, especially considering how many of them you do. i just think it says a lot that even just your demo samples are worthy of study. yeah i admit it, i'm a fan. if i were local to austin, i'd definitely hit you up for some lessons.

EdFriedland

gotta call bs on that. you cover as much or more territory - and masterfully so - than pretty much anyone i can think of. for demo stuff, it's understandable to re-use a little bit here and there, especially considering how many of them you do. i just think it says a lot that even just your demo samples are worthy of study. yeah i admit it, i'm a fan. if i were local to austin, i'd definitely hit you up for some lessons.

Well, okay... maybe I have TWO licks! Particularly when it comes to slap, if I'm just messing around and not playing a specific tune, the same ideas tend to come out all the time. It's cool, at least I'm consistent.

Thanks for the good word. I've been working real hard on improving the video demos, they are getting to look a bit more professional.

I'm looking forward to reviewing some new EB stuff in the future. Come on guys, send me some stuff!

Top Bottom